Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magicshine lens

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    IMO, a single light head just doesn't cut it, be the P7 or XML emitter version. You need 2 on the bars minimum (and that excludes whatever you have on the lid).
    That's my current set-up. Two MS900s on the bars and a Mitycross 350 on the helmet. TBH the Mitycross on the helmet is usually good enough for most trails but its nice having the extra light when the trails get more technical. I'm going to try running one bar light with the wide angle lens and one without for now. Not sure how that will look but I'll take some pics if anyone's interested.

www.airbornemtb.org
    question, do the Action LED lenses use the factory reflectors?
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyp View Post
    That's my current set-up. Two MS900s on the bars and a Mitycross 350 on the helmet. TBH the Mitycross on the helmet is usually good enough for most trails but its nice having the extra light when the trails get more technical. I'm going to try running one bar light with the wide angle lens and one without for now. Not sure how that will look but I'll take some pics if anyone's interested.
    Yeah, thats pretty much what I'm using. Only difference being a Dinotte 400L on the helmet. The double spot was extremely focused. Way too much of a hot spot and no smooth transition to peripheral areas for both P7 and XML emitters.

Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    question, do the Action LED lenses use the factory reflectors?
    Hi Nick, yes. Same set up and install as stock MS lenses.
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 08-22-2011 at 06:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    IMO, a single light head just doesn't cut it, be the P7 or XML emitter version. You need 2 on the bars minimum (and that excludes whatever you have on the lid).
    It's amazing that I use to think a Dinotte 200L on the bars and one on the helmet was bright enough.

mtbr member
    Has anyone used these with the XM-Ls? I might have to order one if it has that much punch with a p7 imagine what it can do with XM-L
    I agree 2 heads on the bars a must 1 flood 1 throw
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Has anyone used these with the XM-Ls? I might have to order one if it has that much punch with a p7 imagine what it can do with XM-L
    I agree 2 heads on the bars a must 1 flood 1 throw
    I ordered one from them Friday and shows it shipped Saturday so should be getting it for my XM-L in the next day or two so i will let you know.

Canuckistan
    Mar 2008
    I just got mine in the mail today( about 20 min ago ). The patern looks BRILLIANT...on the wall..on my XML magicshine. Can't wait to try it out in the dark tonight.

edit: forgot to add, 10 days from order to receipt, and I'm in Canada...pretty good for USPS/Canada post/customs.
    Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 08-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    some notes, thoughts,...
    did finally test the action led wide lens,
    and recommend it highly. for the beam pattern, and yes it's a little bit brighter.
    for light output, 1 light right now, is not enough, P7 or XML,
    and 2x P7 is still better then just 1 XML,...
    with 2 lights, still like my lenses, since you can mix them to your taste.
    now 2x lights, 1x original reflector, and 1x action wide is very good.
    for on the road, don't recommend any reflector, run 2 action wide, at least,
    or some flavor of optics.
    notes:
    spreading light, makes it dimmer, and if you don't have enough, or more than enough,
    well, it gets less.
    lenses reduce by about ~10%, but the spreading effect has a larger effect .
    P7 ~570 lumen instead of 900
    XML ~850 lumen instead of 1000
    for my taste ~1500+ is good
    what would mean
    2x P7 + helmet light gets you there
    2x xml + helmet light is good
    ---
    right now, do like my monster brick light,
    with 3800 lumen +, it can suck 2x MS batteries dry in 1 hour
    it looks like a brick, it weights like a brick, has 4 interchangeable lenses ,
    and costs about 1/2 brick of gold. never mind the 16 cell battery that is 4x as heavy as a single MS. oh 54W, most of the time ride with 27W, max be 72W about 4300 L.

oops rambling again.
    do need a reminder, for a genie in a bottle, for those , who don't have a waterproof battery,... and don't like velcro + dirt on their pain-job,...
    ---
    for the XML with my lenses, well, euro spot not recommend,
    without filing it down, due donut -> dark center
    soft/flood and wide, work, ok
    right now, don't feel like grinding those polycarbonate lenses, for a couple of percent improvement.
    ---
    don't forget to give Jim a thumbs up and thanks for that little marvel.
    ---
    hope this helps. questions, comments, email , etc, you know where to find me
    cheers, Rob

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyp View Post
    yes pix.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just installed the Action wide angle flood on my MS XML for my weekly night ride last night......friggn' awesome. For $3, you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigV View Post
    I just installed the Action wide angle flood on my MS XML for my weekly night ride last night......friggn' awesome. For $3, you can't go wrong.
    For P7 emitters and these wide action lenses, noticeable ridges and lines can be seen in the beam pattern.

Is this the case with the XML emitters?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For P7 emitters and these wide action lenses, noticeable ridges and lines can be seen in the beam pattern.

Is this the case with the XML emitters?
    There is a noticable "ridge" at the top and bottom of the beam pattern. I didn't notice lines within the beam......although I was using a head spot for most of the ride. Regardless, I thought it was a major improvement over the utility of the original lens. I'd rather be able to see what is around me in my immediate vicinity than what is off in the distance (which is usually not visible on singletrack anyway).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got three good rides with the action wide angle on my ms xml and I'm very impressed. Nice wide smooth beam with very little reduction in throw and brightness.
    The first two rides I used it on my helmet with a bikeray IV and another xml on the bars
    and it definately improved visability on tight trails. This morning I took a canal ride with
    just the modified xml on the bars, more excellent results. I could easily ride off road with this light only (I won't though) and an added bonus is the line at the top of the beam pattern seems less annoying to on comming cyclists and drivers(it doesn't do us any good if we can see better but blind the people comming at us). It cost about 9 dollars
    with shiping for 2 and I got them in the mail 2 days after they were ordered. I'm happy!/I]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hmm, I'm gonna have to re-try the Action wide angle lens in my XML and try it outside, because when I tried it inside on the wall, I got the weirdest, unpleasant beam pattern!

I'm surprised to see several posts in this thread from users that are happy with that combination.

I will say that my XML is the $44 DX knockoff (sku# 82510) which has a smooth reflector. I'll have to try it again with the stock smooth reflector and with an OP Magicshine reflector, outside.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Keep us posted, I just got mine in and need to figure out a better solution than the Glad press wrap.

Action LED Lights
    Hello all, we are finally on this forum so I thought I would clear up a couple of things about the lens. It is mentioned one place above but I'll repeat. Because the lens takes the spot beam and spreads it out over 3 times the area, the beam has 1/3 the intensity. There is only a very slight reduction in total light from the fact that the Polycarbonate material is slightly less transparent that the glass lens. Though with the very small amount of material thickness it would be hard to measure.
    This lens will also work with the increasing number of Magicshine knock offs out there but most of them come with a plain glass lens that is thicker than the tempered glass in the Magicshine light. Because of that there is some extra thickness that needs to be taken up. This can be done with a thicker O-ring, by cutting a gasket out of any convenient material, or cutting a thin strip of electrical tape and wrapping it around the edge of the lens. You could also by a replacement tempered lens and put it in front of the wide angle lens.(ridges towards reflector)
    There is also mention above of a pattern in the light. This is caused by the smooth reflector in some knock off lights. Though you can see it on a wall, I don't expect it would be noticeable in actual use. In any case, it is a great improvement over the sharp spot these reflectors create.
    I agree with many above that an excellent setup is one light on the bar with a wide angle lens and one on the helmet with the stock lens. This is what I ride all the time, road or trail.
    Lastly, I'll put in a plug for our new website. This lens, and many other great things, can now be found at Action LED Lights - Brilliant lighting for all your biking & outdoor sporting activities. were of course I would prefer you buy it so I don't have to share the profits with E-bay or Amazon.
    Feel free to contact me through the forum or website if I can answer any other questions.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had a couple more months use and I'm still very happy with the results using this lens.
    It provides a nice inbetween beam pattern (80% of the throw of a stock 808e with 80% of the flood of my BikeRay IV). I'm hoping this lens will be useable in the new 880 light MS is comming out with. As for the unusual wall beam pattern (it looks like a fat horizontal line instead of a round dot) I noticed it's similar to to the beam pattern my honda element shines on my garage door.
    I have a question for Jim or anyone who has an opinion. Would this lens work with some of the smaller lightheads like the xera or olympia if were ground down to the correct size?

Action LED Lights
    MRMOLE, I haven't held a new 880 but saw a prototype in July when I was at Magicshine, and I believe the lens will be to big as is. I talked with my mold shop yesterday about making a smaller one and will be keeping the Xera and Olympia in mind. I should be getting Olympia's in about 2 weeks. I might look at spreading one or two of the LEDs and leaving the others as a spot. I need to see what the stock beams are like first. For the 880 my hope is to be able to spread one or both as desired.
    If you wanted to grind down a lens to fit the Xera it should work fine. (with the reflector)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for for answering the questions about the different light options I'm considering.
    Unfortunately using your lens has spoiled me and I consider it a must for any riding other than trails. I notice that there is much less spill at the top of the beam and I don't get cars flashing their high beams at me anymore. The pedistrians I come upon don't squint and turn there heads away and have even commented on what a nice bright light I had and that it didn't blind them as I approached. I have better visability because of the broader beam and I'm not blinding the on comming traffic so I consider it safer and more responsible. Anyway I can't go back.

Action LED Lights
    I'll have to agree that it makes it a much friendlier light in may applications. Shaping the beam is what it's all about so your not wasting light energy where it's not needed or wanted.

Action LED Lights
    I thought I'd put together a graphic showing why our wide angle lens beats a plain wide angle lens.

If the red circle is a 10˚ beam and has an area of X, the blue circle is a 30˚ beam and has an area of 7.37X so the intensity of the light would be 1/7.37 = .136
    The 10˚x30˚ green oval has an area of 2.85X so the intensity of the light in this area is 1/2.85 = .351
    By putting the light only where you need it the intensity of the light, compared to the circular beam is .351/.136 or 2.6 times brighter.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just a comment: I really like the Action LED wide angle lens - highly recommended.

I am using two Geoman MS 808E on my handlebar, one with the standard and the other with the wide angle lens, paired with a Piko 3 (750) on my helmet. This gives me a great beam pattern on the handlebar with great adjust ability plus a great helmet light. I use the wide angle light to point to the area in front of me and the standard beam to point further away so that I know where the road goes.I am riding mostly on my road bike this time of the year and love the amount of light and visibility that I now have. Helps a lot during cold nights when you need to see some icy spots on the ground.

General comment: The Piko 3 beats both MS 808E configurations and has - for my taste - a better beam pattern and throw. Keep that in mind when thinking about all the various options and price points. The advantage of the two 808Es with two 6Ah batteries is the run-time and the redundancy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My brother-in-law and I each have the T6 - XML (we got em on eBay) for our helmets and I run an MJ-836 on my bars. The eBay lights each have the smooth reflector, so the spot is rather narrow. The MJ-836 came with an "orange peel" reflector, so it's spot is noticably wider and has softer edges.

I just ordered a couple of the Action wide angle lenses and a Titan "orange peel" reflector from Jim via his website Action LED Lights - Brilliant lighting for all your biking & outdoor sporting activities.. From what I've read here, I think we'll be please with the results.

Thanks Jim!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Spare Parts for Magicshine

I find a website, where you can get spare parts for the magicshine mj-808 and other lights from magicshine.
    Magicshine.eu MJ-808 mit CREE XML-T6

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    think the magicshine lights have a good price!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast