mtbr member

Is MagicShine a good brand?

I've been wondering whether getting the MJ-880 would be a good idea. I've heard nothing but good opinions about the actual light produced by this lamp, but would like to know if it will last more than a year, as it is a chinese made light. What are your opinions of this brand's light and, for that matter, other cheap powerful Chinese lights?
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No, MS will not stand behind their product.
    Stay w/ Gemini or Gloworm..
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I own Magic Shine and have no issues...for the price you cant go wrong

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
    I've been wondering whether getting the MJ-880 would be a good idea. I've heard nothing but good opinions about the actual light produced by this lamp, but would like to know if it will last more than a year, as it is a chinese made light. What are your opinions of this brand's light and, for that matter, other cheap powerful Chinese lights?

Ask Geoman.

mtbr member
    geoman isnt around anymore... or is that your point?
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    My MJ-816E has lasted a year. Generally ride for 1.5-2.5hrs and get 2 rides out of the battery (i think its a 4.4AH version). Although, most of that riding is with only the main spot on a reduced output. I only use all three on the downhills. Plenty of light for my slow pace. I like having the option of wide light or spot in one light.

Downsides are the mount. The o-ring is really bouncy on rough terrain. I bought a replacement mount with a quick connect. One or two of the bezels buzz a bit (rattling of the lens) while riding. I just need to add a bead of silicone or small o-ring to stop that. When using the wide and spot lights together, i barely notice the wide. A single spot, like the MJ-808, and a separate helmet light would probably be a better option.

For the price i found it worth the risk and its worked out well for me. Magicshine may have worked out the issues they were having with the batteries. Mine doesn't even get hot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker View Post
    No, MS will not stand behind their product.
    Stay w/ Gemini or Gloworm..
    What's that nugget of information based on?

mtbr member
    I have a total of 9 MS lights some over 2 years old and all are going strong. The original batteries were Crap but the new ones especially the samsung cells are looking middle of the road.
    for a light under $100 MS is the brand I recommend over $100 I turn to Gemini
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    What's that nugget of information based on?
    Personal experience. Been there, done that. Wasn't worth the fight. I moved on!
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    MS is a great value, but not a good brand. I own one as a backup and occasional second light, but use L&M for my primary light. If it only lasts one season, it still isn't a bad deal.

One thing about MS is that they don't manage the heat. Nicer lights you can run on high all night. MS will overheat if you don't have the speed.

As far as standing by the product, L&M replaced my light at no charge after I damaged it in a crash. Geoman gear went out of business replacing the bad batteries that MS wouldn't replace. The thread is on this board somewhere. That limits your options to probably a less reputable retailer, so don't expect any support of you have any problems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    MS is a great value, but not a good brand. I own one as a backup and occasional second light, but use L&M for my primary light. If it only lasts one season, it still isn't a bad deal.

One thing about MS is that they don't manage the heat. Nicer lights you can run on high all night. MS will overheat if you don't have the speed.

As far as standing by the product, L&M replaced my light at no charge after I damaged it in a crash. Geoman gear went out of business replacing the bad batteries that MS wouldn't replace. The thread is on this board somewhere. That limits your options to probably a less reputable retailer, so don't expect any support of you have any problems.
    Action Led Is doing a fine job since Geoman left us. I had a issue with a lens a week ago within 30 minutes of emailing him I got a ship notification with a replacement, That's Good CS in my book, If I was to buy anymore MS lights I would give him my business.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    My magic shine stop working after 2 months.. I just got a night rider

mtbr member
    Everybody in my group is riding MSs. That is 12 in all. Not a single issue in a year of riding/racing them. I would buy them again. For ~$175 you get more light than you can use..bar/helmet 808s. I realize these aren't built to the same quality of some of the other brands, but for that much money, I will take the risk...which isn't that high as my experience has shown.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Me and my 2 buddies got our setups a year ago, and they've worked perfectly. We got the Samsung batteries, flood for the bars and spot on the helmet (can't remember the part#s offhand). O-ring mounts even have worked great.

mtbr member
    I've decided on buying a nicer brand. Any suggestions? I've thought JetLite looks good as well as Exposure for the helmet. Do any of you have lights from these brands?
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Gemini is the answer you are seeking. Magicshine 880 is a nice light; kinda large/heavy for a helmet light.

mtbr member
    As others have said the support you get for a Magicshine light depends on who you bought it from. Dealextreme, while being cheap, and their recent $78 deal on an MJ-872 was hard to pass up, gives you very poor support that seems to be limited to the first 3 months.

When the switch on my MJ-872 failed recently I was please that I'd bought it from action-led-lights as they replaced it quickly, no questions asked. And I'm in Australia.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My riding partner has a magic shine 1000 lumen, seems like a solid light but doesn't hold a charge for very long. I have the Lumintrek tb-1000, same price point ($90) and seems to hold a charge longer. but have rubber o-rings instead of a dedicated mount though which is pretty cheap/annoying

mtbr member
    Got 2 MS 808's, 1 for the bars and 1 for my helmet (read that how u please lol) and not a single issue in over a year, for 50 each I say u can't go wrong coz the light power is gr8.