Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 71
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363

    Magicshine flood lens, new optics

    for myself, I like more of a smooth spread, flood lens for the handlebar

    did some beam shots to show the difference.
    http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com/page1/index.html

    I'am trying to come up with a better mtb light,
    but it's very hard, as such, wanted to improve
    existing lights with cables , adapters and lenses.

    If you think this effort is good, or are interested in a lens,
    please post, contact me, let me know.
    Since I need to order these custom lenses, in large quantities from the mfg,
    it is not that easy.
    Rob

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    830
    I will bite
    these are exactly what I am looking for but
    You probably should buy a classified ad Or this post might be considered SPAM and might get deleted
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    thanks, did that,

    but also need to see, any interest.
    so please post here.

    I can't buy those 1 at a time, so it's hard to help you out,
    because I don't ride with MS, and I don't need 100-3000 pieces.
    so this is a service to MTB riders.

    thanks, Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    I will bite
    these are exactly what I am looking for but
    You probably should buy a classified ad Or this post might be considered SPAM and might get deleted
    Last edited by rschultz101; 12-31-2010 at 02:48 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    830
    now that you have bought a ad what are your shipping costs to Southern Cal.
    I know I would buy a few , you should have no problem selling at least 100+ via this website
    Last edited by Rakuman; 12-31-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,982
    For what it's worth, a lot of people are going to like those lenses. I don't own a MS but if I did I would definitely consider buying one or more of those lenses if they were easy to get hold of.

    For added flood the flood lens could be very useful. Personally I like the elliptical lens. Mounted low I think it could have an interesting effect. Not sure I like this so called, "euro-spot". However it would look better if used with a single die emitter like the XM-L. Besides, can't be too long before there is an XM-L version of the MagicShine. Need I say, when or if that happens I just might buy one.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    $11 , including shipping, in USA / canada.
    for flood lens

    for europe , €15

    for the other lenses, spot, wide, request to be put on waiting list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    now that you have bought a ad what are your shipping costs to Southern Cal.
    I know I would buy a few , you should have no problem selling at least 100+ via this website

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    629
    I would like to try the flood lense for $11 shipped. Where do I order from?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    to order direct ,
    use contact form on my site http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com/page2/page2.php
    then I'll check how many left, and send email for paypal ,
    currently use pp, unless you want to send me check or mo.


    thanks, Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    I would like to try the flood lense for $11 shipped. Where do I order from?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    830
    I thinking of buying a couple is that the flat rate price or can you combine shipping on multiples and get a per unit price + x amount for shipping
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    for 2x lenses, $11 + $6 = $17

    max of 2x lens per order. only have 23 , and takes 6 weeks to get more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    I thinking of buying a couple is that the flat rate price or can you combine shipping on multiples and get a per unit price + x amount for shipping

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    830
    got some flood lenses ordered will give review when i get them, Thanks Rob if they are anything like the beamshots they should really spread things out, i was about to sand blast some lenses to try to get the same effect.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  12. #12
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    how much for the eliptical shipped to florida usa? and are all of these simple to install?

    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    same price.

    but for elliptical, you need to preorder , non left.

    installation notes:
    - make sure the lamp head is not hot !
    - unscrew the front ring, watch, that you don't drop the front glass
    - take the reflector out and replace with new optic lens
    - screw the front ring, including glass back.

    for the elliptical, when you screw in the front, it will rotate,
    due the o-ring inside, but you do need to lineup the lens.
    recommend, to use some grease on the orings, and thread.
    I just use cheap thermal paste on the thread, and a dab on the orings.
    when you screw it in, to hold the glass with your thumb, to prevent rotating.
    there is also the option, to just , stick them in with the foam-glue fastener, already attached, to prevent rotating, but most, like to change as easy as possible, without any residue afterwards.

    to preorder, use contact form on my site.
    I won't send payment request, till I have them in stock.

    Quote Originally Posted by nick d
    how much for the eliptical shipped to florida usa? and are all of these simple to install?

    thanks

  14. #14
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    thanks for clarifying!I wanted to make sure I didn't have to make any permanent changes too the light head incase I wanted too change back for some reason.

    I think this will work good for me cause I'm running 2 ms on the bars, might be cool to have one stock and one flood or elliptical.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    here is a link, with some pictures

    http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com/page1/page3/index.html ,

    for 2 MS on handlebar, even the euro spot, and soft combination is cool.
    since the soft is covering up the the spot, and in the woods, you would not notice,
    this , like on a wall.
    and the euro spot, looks cooler, than just the reflector.
    right now I have only one MS for testing.
    mtb off-road, 1x soft/flood, 1x euro spot, that's what I ride,
    except with MC-E, better bin, not MS, better color.

  16. #16
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    sent you an email, ill give the soft/flood lenses a shot.
    thanks
    nick
    Last edited by nick d; 01-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    691
    Just ordered 2 soft lenses for my dual MS900s. Will post impressions after riding with all combos.

    Thanks Rob.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    I think the Euro Spot looks real good for helmet - about double the size of the original spot which is exactly what I'm looking for.
    "It looks flexy"

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    update: orders shipped, ( before 01-02-2011,placed)

    I'll try to get some euro spot lenses.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    funny thing popped up, un my webstats page
    shenzhen, china looks like somebody is looking at the lenses.
    well, good thing these are not made in china, but that has never stopped them.
    probably get another international order, wink, wink, cheers, Rob

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    funny thing popped up, un my webstats page
    shenzhen, china looks like somebody is looking at the lenses.
    well, good thing these are not made in china, but that has never stopped them.
    probably get another international order, wink, wink, cheers, Rob
    Rob they will probable have these knocked off within a couple of weeks get it while you can.
    I'm looking forward to getting mine those should be great,a flood on the bars on spot on the helmet best of both worlds, Your price is more than fair.
    Thanks again
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I think the Euro Spot looks real good for helmet - about double the size of the original spot which is exactly what I'm looking for.
    True, but judging from the wall shot photo it looks like the Euro spot lens magnifies the cross pattern artifact of the 4-die emitter ( P-7 in this case ). Still, if its cheap it's worth a shot. You might not notice the artifact when used on the trail.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    79
    Just ordered and paid for two lenses from you Rob. The Soft Lens for bikeriding and the Elliptical for skiing. Will post my experience here after I have tried them!

    OT: In the future, the Shenzhen will make genetic copies of people cheaper than raising a kid on your own!

  24. #24
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    update: orders shipped, ( before 01-02-2011,placed)

    I'll try to get some euro spot lenses.
    got email confirmation last night
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    True, but judging from the wall shot photo it looks like the Euro spot lens magnifies the cross pattern artifact of the 4-die emitter ( P-7 in this case ). Still, if its cheap it's worth a shot. You might not notice the artifact when used on the trail.

    He had 1 pc so I ordered up the soft and the euro spot. I'll give the euro spot a shot. It can't be worse than the stock beam with the too-tight spot and black rings.
    "It looks flexy"

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    BTW, did mine ship out?
    "It looks flexy"

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    It's my son's birthday. so tomorrow , I will notify.

    spot, wide, and flood, you can preorder, they are on the way. ETA next week.

    need to get more packaging stuff, labels, etc.

    if the works, cable adapter to tamiya,
    so you can connect a 7.2V, 8.4V RC NimH battery,
    have an alternative.
    other stuff in the works,
    - 2 cell battery for helmet use, 2:15 hr runtime, for racing. waterproof.
    - new charger , ~ $70 - $350 , not the cheap stuff, so don't ask.
    - 6-10 cell battery, for dual , triple setup.
    - USB adapter, when you not riding, you can charge your itouch, iphone, android phone,
    or GPS with it, or with a cable splitter on the trail.
    - backup battery, small
    new stuff, waiting list / pre-order via contact form, include address / phone.
    cheers, Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    BTW, did mine ship out?

  28. #28
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    It's my son's birthday. so tomorrow , I will notify.

    spot, wide, and flood, you can preorder, they are on the way. ETA next week.

    need to get more packaging stuff, labels, etc.

    if the works, cable adapter to tamiya,
    so you can connect a 7.2V, 8.4V RC NimH battery,
    have an alternative.
    other stuff in the works,
    - 2 cell battery for helmet use, 2:15 hr runtime, for racing. waterproof.
    - new charger , ~ $70 - $350 , not the cheap stuff, so don't ask.
    - 6-10 cell battery, for dual , triple setup.
    - USB adapter, when you not riding, you can charge your itouch, iphone, android phone,
    or GPS with it, or with a cable splitter on the trail.
    - backup battery, small
    new stuff, waiting list / pre-order via contact form, include address / phone.
    cheers, Rob
    cool keep the gadgets comin
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    update: sold out, next ETA 01-11-2010
    http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com/page1/index.html
    new prices too, due all those pesky little charges nibbling.
    I'am an engineer not a bean counter,...

    for the ones, don't want to buy me a coffee ,
    use code: forums.mtbr to get $2 off
    and I get jelled at, having 15 empty monster cans, under my desk,....
    as usual , for stuff you'd like to burn some cash, and are tired to dig for it,
    request custom stuff.
    like you'r ne downhiller, and want 6000 lumen,
    with 3 modes, high beam, low beam , flame thrower.
    http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com Rob

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    shipped out today. Email send with notification.
    let know once you get it. thanks, Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    BTW, did mine ship out?

  31. #31
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    got mine today! install was easy, and there was a noticeable difference in the beam, much wider with almost no hot spot. gonna take take some pics later.

    does anyone know the standard camera settings for beam shots?
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ortelius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d
    does anyone know the standard camera settings for beam shots?
    The very first post in this thread.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lost Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    643
    Do these lens work on the Gemini Titan?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    take the reflector out,
    measure it, diameter, and height.

    take a picture from the inside, without reflector.
    use contact from on http://mtbl.robs-x.com
    I'll reply, and you can attach the picture.

    for all others, send me a pre-order request.
    I'll let you know, if available, and that it fits.

    oh, are they different flavor gemini ones ? or just 1 model ?
    thanks, Rob

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    Do these lens work on the Gemini Titan?

  35. #35
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333

    backyard beamshots with new optics

    ok this is my first attempt of beamshots. i used two 5 mode magicshines, both with the canister style batteries, both fully charged and on high.

    camera settings:
    iso 100
    f4
    shutter 6 seconds
    wb daylight

    lens not zoomed at all

    camera: nikon d200 with tamron 15-70

    chairs are about 10' apart, fence about 50' from the lights.

    #1 two flood



    #2 one flood



    #3 one stock



    #4 one flood one stock



    #5 two stock



    magicshine with stock lens



    magicshine with no lens



    magicshine with flood lens



    pic #1 of flood lens



    pic #2 of flood lens



    judge for yourself, and i apologize if the background, pics etc are not up to mtbr standards.

    my personal opinion is that some combo of flood and spot combo would look best. looking forward to getting a euro spot to go one of the floods.

    nick
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  36. #36
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    one thought i had, with this type of lens would it be of any benifit to coat the outer cone shaped area with a reflective material that would bounce light back into the honeycomb front part instead of getting lost inside the lighthead?

    just a thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  37. #37
    May the Force be with you
    Reputation: norcalchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    Do these lens work on the Gemini Titan?

    Should work. The housings are the same size

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15
    I rode with the flood reflector last night. No beamshots, but it does really light up everthing close in, which is what I was looking for. Paired with an inexpensive DX torch on my helmet it was a nice combo.

    If riding with just one light, I would stick to the regular reflector. But for a MS on the bar combined with some other longer range light, the flood reflector is very nice.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    691
    Nick, thanks for the time taken to produce and share these night shots!

    Hard to tell from the pics alone, but it seems the soft/flood just cancels out the hot spots on the stock lenses, not really that much difference in terms of peripheral spill intensity (unlike the wall shots linked at the beginning of thread). I'm sure in person the differences would be more noticeable.

    My double soft/flood lenses should be in next week. As you mentioned, I suspect a single soft/flood coupled with another elliptical lens on the bar in conjunction with at least 400L spot on the helmet might the better combo.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    Seems like a 2 MS 900 with flood lenses on the bar would be awesome coupled with a helmet spot.

    Edit to add: I bought a flood and the last euro spot so maybe I'll get those up and running soon.
    "It looks flexy"

  41. #41
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    Nick, thanks for the time taken to produce and share these night shots!

    Hard to tell from the pics alone, but it seems the soft/flood just cancels out the hot spots on the stock lenses, not really that much difference in terms of peripheral spill intensity (unlike the wall shots linked at the beginning of thread). I'm sure in person the differences would be more noticeable.

    My double soft/flood lenses should be in next week. As you mentioned, I suspect a single soft/flood coupled with another elliptical lens on the bar in conjunction with at least 400L spot on the helmet might the better combo.
    no prob im looking forward to testing out the floods on some tight twisty singletrack, that was the weakness of the stock lenses with the hot spot. and yes, in person the floods do look very nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Seems like a 2 MS 900 with flood lenses on the bar would be awesome coupled with a helmet spot.

    Edit to add: I bought a flood and the last euro spot so maybe I'll get those up and running soon.
    i was thinking the same thin so i ordered a lighthead from geomangear(going to build a battery pack), as soon as i can get my hands on a eurospot lense ill put it on the helmet and keep the two floods on the bars. ill take another series of shots when i get that set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    please post, what you got, 1 or 2 lights, handle bar, helmet ,..
    and what do you want, less spot, more spot, wide, etc

    trying to improve mtb lights and more. Rob
    http://www.mtbL-Robs-X.com
    Last edited by rschultz101; 01-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    update: soft,wide,euro spot lenses are in.

    Bike Ray-II
    the MS lenses, do not fit. pre-order.
    I'll update beam-shots, price once available.
    Gemini Titan, not yet in, end of week.
    Lupine Tesla , on request.
    MJ-816 , in the works.
    MJ-838 , on request.
    the more requests I get, the higher the priority,....
    pre-order, via contact form, do not get charged.

    MTB LED lights are in the Que.

    let me know, what you want, need, have.
    some will include lens choices.

    cheers, Robert
    http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com

    ---> once you get yours, don't forget to post, let me know, how it works out for you.
    Last edited by rschultz101; 01-10-2011 at 11:58 AM.

  44. #44
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    update: soft,wide,euro spot lenses are in.

    Bike Ray-II
    the MS lenses, do not fit. pre-order.
    I'll update beam-shots, price once available.
    Gemini Titan, not yet in, end of week.
    Lupine Tesla , on request.
    MJ-816 , in the works.
    MJ-838 , on request.
    the more requests I get, the higher the priority,....
    pre-order, via contact form, do not get charged.

    MTB LED lights are in the Que.

    let me know, what you want, need, have.
    some will include lens choices.

    cheers, Robert
    http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com

    ---> once you get yours, don't forget to post, let me know, how it works out for you.
    sent you a message for a wide and euro. got my 3rd magicshine today so i cant wait
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    update: soft,wide,euro spot lenses are in.

    Bike Ray-II
    the MS lenses, do not fit. pre-order.
    I'll update beam-shots, price once available.
    Gemini Titan, not yet in, end of week.
    Lupine Tesla , on request.
    MJ-816 , in the works.
    MJ-838 , on request.
    the more requests I get, the higher the priority,....
    pre-order, via contact form, do not get charged.

    MTB LED lights are in the Que.

    let me know, what you want, need, have.
    some will include lens choices.

    cheers, Robert
    http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com

    ---> once you get yours, don't forget to post, let me know, how it works out for you.
    Received the flood and just ordered the spot - definitely interested in options for the 816 when available.

    In addition, my order was placed on Tues., mailed Wed., and in my mailbox on Sat. - can't ask for much better than that. Thanks!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    Got my euro spot and flood today. Are you guys just leaving the backing on the tape?
    "It looks flexy"

  47. #47
    www.airbornemtb.org
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Got my euro spot and flood today. Are you guys just leaving the backing on the tape?
    i peeled the backing off and let the tape stick, although might have been a good idea to leave it on till im done swapping lenses...
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    So I tried both the euro spot and the floody. I can tell the flood is way too floody but the euro spot holds a ton of promise. About 2x the stock spot in diameter and all the light. The flood is so floody it seems to lose some light imo. No trail time though.
    "It looks flexy"

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    So I tried both the euro spot and the floody. I can tell the flood is way too floody but the euro spot holds a ton of promise. About 2x the stock spot in diameter and all the light. The flood is so floody it seems to lose some light imo. No trail time though.
    I felt the same way at first, and I would still appreciate more throw, but it does work pretty well on tight trails. It is easy to outrun on fast trails, but the smooth light does a great job of lighting up tight turns.

    If you are riding towards traffic (bikes, foot, cars, etc) it has WAY too much flood and would blind anyone in front of you.

    I am excited about its potential as a bar light in conjunction with my helmet light, but I did use it solo and it was acceptable.

    One thing I want to look into is, can I get a little more throw by adding a reflector behind the lens. Currently a lot of light must be getting lost in the black body of the light.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    363
    xjbaylor, thanks for the feedback.

    for traffic, it should actually blind less, since the LED die is not directly visible,
    the side spill, should increase, that's what you referring too, so visibility should be better.
    if you take a look, regular car bulbs, have a little shield , not to have the wire/hid, exposed directly, but through a reflector, to minimize, blinding .
    soft/diffused = good, bulb/wire/led/hid directly visible = bad ( traffic)

    adding a reflector behind:
    quick improvement, use aluminum foil, and secure from outside, with scotch tape.
    let me know if you see any improvement, should be slight/better.

    need some help:
    sheet metal, unwrapped template, for this lens to calculate.
    easiest, in a 3D sheetmetal design, and than unwrap print,
    but I'am no wiz with that. any tips, to do that appreciate, with scissors and compass.

    please use contact form attach, files.
    just got some mirror foil in, I can test with that. did a quick test, it seams to improve it a tad, can't quantify / measure yet. it's daytime now.

    thanks, Rob http://mtbl.robs-x.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •