mtbr member

MagicShine 900 paired with NiteRider150 (helmet)

I have a MS 900 that I had to replace the battery on but love the light, very bright, like the beam like the color. Since I have moved to TX I want a Helmet light because my daily ride is VERY twisty and often the front wheel is pointed in the opposite direction I am about to go. Plus lots of close limbs that black out after they leave the beam.

I was simply going to buy another MS 900 for the helmet but my wonderfully wife bought me a nice NiteRider 150 for Christmas (will open Satruday) with helmet mount. Will I be disappointed with the 150 vs 900? I know the MS is not actually 900 but is is still very bright. Will the color be way different? will the brightness be to low, etc? Does any one have both?

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Did a night ride just last night with my buddy. He ran the exact same setup you mention and said it was good. The Niterider was dwarfed by the MS but worked well for seeing around corners on our twisty densely wooded trails (in Oklahoma).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I own the exact same combo and run it the other way, MS900 on the helmet and NR on the bars. It isn't perfect, as the NR has a pretty tightly focused beam, but the positives outweigh the negatives.
    If you run the NR on your helmet it is very hard to pick up the light again as it crosses the beam of the MS. I actually prefer the MS on the helmet alone to the NR helmet/MS bar combo.

The downside is the form factor. I love the NR as a helmet light, b/c I like the battery mounted on the helmet. It also sits much lower tha the MS.

All that said, the MS is a much better helmet light for Texas trails.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    After I posted this I mounted the MS on my helmet for the first time. I REALY like it there better than on the bars. I was surprised how natural it was to let the light "flow" through the turns and sweeps. It did not interfere with my computer like when it is on the bars and I could quickly look down and check my time. With only one MS I will wear it on my helmet for now on.

I did get the niterider but have not compared the beams yet. Charged it last night and I am thinking of keeping it and mounting it on the bars. I hope it does not look like a flashlight beam compared to the MS. If it does not interfere with he computer it may and it shows the next 6 feet well it may we best to keep it.

What about the colors? does it bother you that they are off?

Dirt Deviant
    I ran a Blackburn x4 on my bars which is about the same output as your NR and a MS on the helmet.
    The combo worked pretty good.
    I pointed the bar light ahead some distance and it did a good job of casting shadows and really helped my depth perception.
    I'd say it will be a very usable combo using the MS on the helmet.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.