mtbr member
    Dec 2010

MagicShine 900/808 question

Hi. First time poster. Long time lurked....
    On other cycling forums.....

Anyway I have a question on the magicshines. I want to run 4 900 lumen lights up to my bar.... But I want to run two batteries connected to two Y cables, the site I bought them from suggested not to do this or it will damage the battery.

Has anyone here ran two to the single battery? And If so was there any long term damage or where the lights weaker than they would be attached to a single battery?

I was wondering if the site I bought them from was saying this just to sell more full kits.

Anyway. You guys/gals help would be much appreciated.

Stay warm and ride safe.

Socks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think 2 lights off one battery is a bad idea because that is more then maxing out the capacity and drawing just too much too fast. The way those batteries and electronics are set up they are not intended to do that. The Y cable was a bad idea. I think if you run a tail light and 1 head light you will be ok, but 2 headlights on MAX brightness will damage the battery.

Somewhere on this forum several months ago I read a good explanation and it made perfect sense to me.

acg
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is the quote from the instruction sheet on Magicshine set which I purchased from the Illinois supplier:

"the pack has 2 pairs in series/parallel it can deliver 4.4A. The Magicshine MJ-808 draws up to 2A, the MJ-816 3A. From these figures, you can see that running two main lights off one battery by way of the Y-cable is pushing the limits of the pack and will shorten their life. Additionally, as the battery ages its current capacity drops. Wehn running two headlights it is best to use 2 battery packs...... The Y cable is appropriate for the MagicShine tailight as it onlt draws 1/2 A".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have run 2 lights using the Y cable. I run the lights on med or low. I'm usually riding2 to 2.5 hours in the dark. In that time, towards the end of the ride, one light indicator will turn red so I turn one off.

It is probably is overkill to run two of those light on the handle bar . . .

Don't know what the long term affects are, yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Oh well.
    Thats not good. I was hoping not to use 4 batteries. Mounting is one of my main issues. I don't have any places for bottles, not drilled at all.

Thanks for answering my questions. Back to the drawing board.

Socks

mtbr member
    why do you want 4 of those lights on your bar? I would go one wide and one regular light over 4 regular lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I live in a suburb of Dallas known for the worst drivers In the U.S.
    In fact we had the top three most dangerous intersections in the country for a few years running. Gives you an indication of the level nuttiness here. Want a lot of light. Need to be seen. And I really like riding at night.

I've also Been hit twice...not serious though.

The beams on the 900 aren't super wide, but they are wide enough... And the 1400 is Just super wide, and I've got a narrow handlebar.

Socks

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortsocks
    Oh well.
    Thats not good. I was hoping not to use 4 batteries. Mounting is one of my main issues. I don't have any places for bottles, not drilled at all.

Thanks for answering my questions. Back to the drawing board.

Socks
    Well, if you are making your own batteries, you could just create a four 2 cell packs. It would run fine, but cut the capacity to half, which you'd be doing anyway with running two off the normal battery. This would deal with the amp rating as well. Then you could just bundle them in two sets of two and even if you wanted to run two, you could just switch from one set to the next and have the same run time.