Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magicshine...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    A small step up in price can also get you a quality light made in China with excellent product support.
    Gemini has a 1 year warranty on lights and batteries and service (if needed) can be obtained from the company or from their US service center. (that happens to be us ) regardless of where the light is purchased.
    This is exactly the route I took. I just bought my first light, and I started out looking at Magicshine as an inexpensive way to try out night riding to see if I liked it and was going to do it very often. Their performance/price ratio is impressive, but I was definitely concerned about quality. The Gemini Xera seemed to be really well thought out and backed by a good company with an active presence here on mtbr, so I paid a bit more for that (bought from Action). Still really an excellent performance/price, I think better than just about anything out there, and for me the best value when you balance all the factors.

I'm with stupid
    Either way you shake it Chinese or American the product support is still *****. Hell even harbor freight the Chinese tool store will back up there products. Sounds to me like even geoman is taking it in the shorts whenever these thing break. Again going by the if I do a 70% mark up and only 10% come back then I have a 60% profit margin. Also how many folks are like shortbus and just throw their hands up after getting blown off? I myself will stay away from magicshine all I hear about is how they break with no support.
    Buy a ameba from scar on here and be happy, I have friends that said hey I have had this for over a year and the light sometimes flickers, guess what got replaced for free and was overnighted back to the customer. Not the big corporation that has money to spare cause they make **** products, nope it was the guy that builds the light in the garage in his spare time and has no profit margin. Steer clear of this crap company (magicshine) as long as people keep pumping money into them and they blow off a warranty when they break things will never get fixed. (end rant)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    head over to the DIY forum, someone should be able to help you, especially if you can take it apart (unscrew the back) yourself to post some pictures. A multimeter and some hand holding should get you a diagnosis at least, these things aren't very complicated.

For anyone considering a Magicshine - buy it from Geoman. His customer service is beyond words.
    I'll +1 GeoMan. He led the recall of MagicShine's dangerous battery, at significant personal expense. I ended up with a MUCH better battery, that he had custom designed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    You guys are definitely some Geoman fanboys. Comparing them to REI??? They must definitely be reputable.
    Geoman replacing 6 sh*tty batterys with 6 Panasonic celled battery's on his dime made a fanboy out of Me Geoman gets all My business. Did any other MS sellers take care of their customers to that extent not even close
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Geoman replacing 6 sh*tty batterys with 6 Panasonic celled battery's on his dime made a fanboy out of Me Geoman gets all My business. Did any other MS sellers take care of their customers to that extent not even close
    Quoted for truth.!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ValhallaGSXR View Post
    Because as a consumer, i like to be able to save a little money if i get the chance. A company should stand behind their product no matter where you bought it from. They still produced it. Why won't they fix it if its got a problem as long as the consumer can prove they purchased it legally?

What's the difference between this and if you bought a HP computer from walmart that had a problem and HP tells you that since you didnt buy it online at their website, you are out of luck?

Thats bad business IMO and they will not be getting any of my money.

there are actually lots of businesses our there with the policy "no warranty if purchased from an unauthorized reseller"

there are some ebay sellers that actually are authorized resellers for certain products, but that does not seem to be the case here.

after comparing the prices Geoman has the 808e with the Geoman battery and support for 100+shipping, Action has the 808e with support for 90+shipping, and the cheapest i have seen on ebay has been 90 which includes free shipping, but no support.

i cant see how ebay would even be considered the better deal in this situation.

now i personally did just order a magicshine COPY via ebay from a us seller, but i didnt have the extra 50 to put into a light AT THE MOMENT, otherwise i would have ordered an 808e through Action. and there is a big difference between 5 for shipping and 50. also i will soon be building my own light so this will end up as a backup/spare for friends without too much invested into it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    +1
    Yeah, I guess I am a "fanboy." I do compare the two because quite honestly I've had great service from both.
    Couple questions, did you research lights before purchase? Did you research MS on MTBR? Did you read the recall threads? If not I guess you should have.
    If you did then you'd know that GM went above and beyond in a situation many feel he didn't have to do a thing with other than walk away. Personally, the reason I went with GM in the first place (for cheap Chinese lights) was the reputation the original owner who passed away had. I bought a couple of months before the recall. When I read about the recalls I thought I was screwed, and I had talked a friend into MS through GM as well.
    After I read the threads I figured the people who had issues with the batteries were not overseeing them while charging and rode with the recalled batteries until I had another light source. Then I returned them and got a better battery for nothing. My friend had the same experience.
    I'm still riding them and feel that as long as GM is in buisiness they'd help me with any issues I had. I bought MS, a cheap- ass light system after riding NightRiders for years. I knew I was getting a light made in China and expected it to be a hell of a lot cheaper (quality) than it was. Add GM service and the new batteries after the recall, I'm happy as a pig (fanboy) in *****. I might have close to 100 rides with just more than $300 spent.
    So yeah, sorry you're bitter cause you made a mistake. I'm charging my batteries right now and riding tomorrow. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Sounds to me like even geoman is taking it in the shorts whenever these thing break. Again going by the if I do a 70% mark up and only 10% come back then I have a 60% profit margin. Also how many folks are like shortbus and just throw their hands up after getting blown off? I myself will stay away from magicshine all I hear about is how they break with no support.
    )
    Blown off by who? I think you're comparing e-bay support which apparently = 0 (W/ certain sellers), w/ GM support which many report to have been excellent.
    Look, I could not care less what anyone is running, who you're buying from, what your riding... hell, I really don't even want to talk to other riders in general (that's why I night ride) but GM has provided me with great custie service and I guess that's all I really came here to say, I'm out...
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

I did it all for the kudo
    I also own an Amoeba. I bought the MS in a pinch because my Night Rider handlebar light failed right before a 24hr race that I had entered. I guess I expected more.
    I wasn't trying to insult when I said fanboy, I was not aware of Geomans loyal customer base.
    I also started this thread to make people aware of the whole ebay thing and Magicshines poor customer service. That is all.
    Thanks for the kind words dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Word. I do hope it works out for you.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Blown off by who? I think you're comparing e-bay support which apparently = 0 (W/ certain sellers), w/ GM support which many report to have been excellent.
    Look, I could not care less what anyone is running, who you're buying from, what your riding... hell, I really don't even want to talk to other riders in general (that's why I night ride) but GM has provided me with great custie service and I guess that's all I really came here to say, I'm out...
    You sir did not read what I wrote well or I was not clear enough. The statement was from what I have seen with the company that even geoman is eating the loss when he gives people warranty not magic shine. The being blown off comment is from eBay sellers, lbs that can't get a warranty and magic shine the company itself.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

geoman

i am still waiting for my battery from geoman,i purchased a magicshine from them-got a recall
    letter from them over a year ago-emailed them still no replacement battery!!!now it was a $100 wasted.since battery melted on the outside by the circuit board.Good news is my cateye stadium is still working

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssuperx10001 View Post
    i am still waiting for my battery from geoman,i purchased a magicshine from them-got a recall
    letter from them over a year ago-emailed them still no replacement battery!!!now it was a $100 wasted.since battery melted on the outside by the circuit board.Good news is my cateye stadium is still working

If you followed all the required steps of the recall you should get your battery with no problems, they have done a pretty smashing job of taking care of any issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for your help guys. Unfortunately I bought the newer MJ-868 thinking that maybe they stepped it up a bit in quality, and actually until it quit working I was impressed with the fit and finish. Really for what you pay it's allot of bang for the buck.

I'm not sure what's wrong with it, the battery life indicator still lights up but the light will not turn on. Probably a bad driver board.

I still can't get over the fact that they will not respond to my emails. All of which were nice except for the last one were I threatened to bring this sort of practice to the attention of the MTBR community, and still no reply...

They won't even respond to this thread were they are a sponsor...
    Once again buyer beware. Unless your a DIYer stay clear of this product, spend the extra dough and buy a higher quality light.
    This may backfire on me but I think there needs to be some explanation on how warranty works with any product, from any company. If you bought a Black and Decker drill for instance from someone(not an authorised B&D dealer) and it's faulty. You contact B&D customer service directly. What are the chances of them responding to your case?

It doesn't help you to say some eBay sellers may not be authorised sellers. Someone who bought 10 units from DX for instance doesn't make him an authorised dealer. In their own admission inside their Terms & Conditions, DX is just an Agent, not even authorised dealer but they do have an agreement to forward warranty claims to magicshine.com.

Authorised dealers take care of the warranty which is in turn supported by a warranty agreement between the authorised dealer and Magicshine. magicshine.com. is a manufacturer not a sales & service point. You do not have an invoice from them - if you do, then yes, they are obligated to respond. If you have an invoice from them, as an Authorised Dealer in Australia, I will personally make sure they respond, else that's just plain bad service.

As for your MJ-868 problem, it sounds like a driver board problem as you suspect. Inter change batteries and do a diagnosis - I suggest checking out the battery to ensure it hasn't been overdischarged hence not powering the light on but just enough to light up the LED next to the switch. If you are 90% certain it's the driver board, contact an authorised Magicshine seller in the US - I won't name names but there's plenty of them around and tell them although you did not buy from them, you need help getting the problem fixed. How much would it cost to get a driver for the 868 from MS. They can include this in their next shipment. It arrives, they contact you and voila!, you have it repaired. If you are cheeky enough, ask if you can have the MJ-868 claimed as warranty through them. Chances are 99% dealers of any product will say no. That's why you buy from people you best trust.

Team Inflexible
    Sorry for the magic shine drama.

I'm with stupid
    So, have you heard anything from anyone?

I tapped that

night riding enthusiast
    It's only when you've had to deal with really bad customer service that you finally *FINALLY* value good service. I'll choose a fanboy hobbyist over the megacorp any day.

GeoMan
    Thanks for your support everyone, we still have battery packs for recall claims being shipped out, in fact a large number of shipments went out this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post

If you followed all the required steps of the recall you should get your battery with no problems, they have done a pretty smashing job of taking care of any issues.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN View Post
    Thanks for your support everyone, we still have battery packs for recall claims being shipped out, in fact a large number of shipments went out this week.
    Hey Geoman, would you consider warrantying my light?

Please...

GeoMan
    Hey Shortbus, please email reade@geomangear.com and we'll see if we can help you out

Cheers

Hey Geoman, would you consider warrantying my light?

Please...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Hey Shortbus, please email reade@geomangear.com and we'll see if we can help you out

Cheers

Nice

Cheers
    Will do!
    Thanks

I just wanted to take a moment and give thanks Geoman/Reade for going out of his way and helping me get in contact with Magicshine to solve my warranty issues with my broken light, even though I did not originally purchase the light from him. I think that says allot for his business and would recommend him to anyone purchasing a new light.

Thanks Again

Lesson learned here : Do not buy a MS light off of Ebay and expect them to handle your warranty issues. Buy from a reputable seller such as Geoman who will take care of you after the sale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I feel your pain on a different level. They have totally screwed me on the simplest thing of following up and getting a spontaneously exploding set of batteries dealt with - this has been going on since June 2011.

banned
    Feb 2012
    I take it this company (same as GeomanGear?) are not to be counted on for good customer service? I just read this zenmster's post about his problems. I think these are one in the same companies...yes?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast