mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Magic Shine for trail running?

So I recently started trail running and I want to do a night trail race next month. I have two Magic Shine lights and am wondering if I get the headstrap would this work for running?

My concerns would be that the lighthead will bounce around alot due to it's size and weight? Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to buy a headstrap if it's not gonna work. It sure would be a great amount of light though.

I often use my MS on my bike helmet to do chores after dark around the house, even have one mounted to the ROPS on my tractor so I can see to plow snow. Was cheaper and simpler than permant lights.

Thanks, Mike
    Mike

Church of the Wheel
    MS works great for trail running. I've used them on both a Light&Motion head strap and a Lupine head strap, but NOT the actual MS head strap, although it's a close copy of the Lupine model. Bouncing of light on head is a non-issue. Only real issue is the battery (where to put it). Cycling jerseys work great for running too, and the rear pockets work well for the battery, and I've also used a small hip belt that also carries a water bottle.

Cheers.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Take a look here...

http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights50.htm

4th pic down has an MS in use. Pretty robust looking headstrap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the info. I'll order a headstrap and give it a try.

Mike
    Mike

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004
    Definitely give it a shot. However, I'm a night trail runner and I wouldn't use the MS for this. I would worry about the weight, bouncing around, and fatigue if it's a longer race.

If it doesn't happen to work for you, consider a specific headlamp light such as...

http://www.rei.com/product/808898

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker
    My concerns would be that the lighthead will bounce around alot due to it's size and weight? Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to buy a headstrap if it's not gonna work. It sure would be a great amount of light though.
    I use my Magicshine with the headstrap from Geoman primarily for running/orienteering and skiing. The headstrap works fine for me, but it could be borderline for others, depending on how bouncy your stride is. For normal running, it's great. When I sprint, it can be borderline bouncy, so I make sure to have the straps tight and where I want them if I anticipate going really fast. I won a night orienteering race a few months back with the setup with no issues. If it's cool enough to wear a ski hat under the headstrap, the extra friction and material from the hat will stabilize the light completely.

There is (expensive) Lupine headstrap made for running that should be completely stable with the Magicshine - the "headbelt hd".