Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lupine Wilma TL

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Lupine Wilma TL

Well Lupine has it's first self contained high powered torch/bike light.I recieved mine today and it's a beauty. At just a touch over four inches i believe it may be the most powerful flashlight/bike light it's size in the world out side of DIY.
    The fit and finish is typical of lupine's products. It comes with a beautiful leather belt case that also is of very good quality. The programing is very easy and has options to suit anyone's needs.
    I haven't tested the run times yet,but suspect they will be much better than advertized.The wilma 5 with the 5Ah battery will run on high setting for three hours.The TL been driven the same should have run times on high closer to 90 minuts with it's 2.5Ah battery vs,the claimed hour.
    I'll confirm my run times after a few cycles and hope my predictions are fairly accurate.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Nice!! I'm jealous indebt.... definitely a nice buy; specially if you have the charger already!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm really excited by this product. The idea of that much light without wires is really attractive to me. Plus, in the seasons when I don't ride at night, this makes it a much more useful product.

I was talking on the phone with Gretna about this yesterday. A couple of things -

1. I think the battery needs a place to mount a lanyard. That's pretty important if you are going to be using this as a $600 flashlight.

2. I'd love to see a piece that screwed on the back of the light that would convert the TL battery to a connector to be able to use the other Lupine batteries. That would give you huge flexibility.

I don't think the spare batteries are out yet. That would also be a need for me so that I could ride for more than an hour at high. Carrying an extra battery in a pocket would be fine with me (or being able to connect to Lupine's other batteries would be even better).

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Both good points JohnJ80. It would be great if Lupine incorporated the piggyback connection on the exterior of the battery. A Piko two cell battery pack option on the stem and you have lots of run time.Or for twenty four hour races your options would be limitless.

It is just weird holding such a small flashlight that puts out the kind of light this thing does. I'm sure if sales are good enough,Lupine may consider tweeking the TL if customer expectations warrents it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm interested in this because I have other applications for this flashlight besides riding. I'd like to use it in a marine application and in a SAR application. That helps me justify the cost. Besides that, I ride with lights mostly on my road bike and most batteries that strap to the frame seem to interfere with the brake cables. So this would just be so much simpler.

Doing the connections to external batteries would be in line with what I believe Exposure Lights does as well. Coming up with a cap that had a standard Lupine connection to the battery that would screw on the back of the light would have to be really simple.

Have you ridden with the TL? Is it the same as riding with the standard wilma? What is the beam like?

Also, rumor is that the are working a piko style version as well. That could be *really* interesting for a helmet light.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I haven't ridden with the TL yet, but it has the same 15 degree lens as the Wilma 5.Beam pattern in the back yard looks the same to my eyes and i guess it should.

The beam may be a bit to narrow for some,and i'd have to agree if it is your only light for single track mountain biking. It would be very good with an added Piko helmet light. Would be more than enough though in every way for road riding. I cant out ride the light on any trails, however i'm not reaching speeds over 35mph ever!!

mtbr member
    I have to admit I am very impressed. The TL looks to be one of the finest compact self-contained systems I have every seen. However with that said, Lupine is obviously going to make you pay for it. This is definitely " a rich man's torch" if there ever was one.

I can't help but wonder just exactly how the battery configuration is working to be able to power four emitters. (?) Still, this is the most powerful/compact 4-emitter arrays I have seen. If I was seeing better economic times and didn't already have a slew of bike lights ( *cough* ) I might think of getting one of these. (ummm.....Not )

Right now I bet the people from Exposure are having a tizzy fit. Since Exposure was pretty much the exclusive "self contained" bike light company, this offering from Lupine will definitely change that.

For the time being I'm going to continue to wait till one of the Chinese manufacturers figures out that money is to be made if they construct a three mode XM-L ( or SST-90 ) torch using the newer 4000mAh Li-ion 26650 battery. If they do I will set a new internet speed record when I order one. ( Need I even say, it will be 10-15% the cost of the TL and almost as bright... )

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cat Man do, it won't last as long, but for the price it'll last long enough until the next torch is out and the Lupine buyers will be upgrading anyway cause they've got to have the best.

4000mAh that would be nice, I'd bet costly though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How is the spill on the Wilma TL?

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just did an angled side by side ceiling bounce comparison with my Gemini Titan in my large garage as it's still light outside, and here are my observations.The TL has a larger hot spot than the Titan .The spill on the TL is aprox half as wide as the Titan but a lot brighter. The transition from the hot spot into the spill on the TL is much smoother than the Titan or any P-7 light, as i find in those lights a pretty bright and tight hot spot transitioning into an un-proportionally huge but rather dim spill of light. Sometimes refurred as a doughnut ring.

Also for reference,i find the hot spot on my Titan larger than the MS P-7.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As we all know a picture paints a thousand words:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lupine Wilma TL-wilma-tl-mountainn.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I managed to run several cycles through the TL and my results are as follows.They were done outside in 50 degree tempurature in front of a fan so thermal protection wouldn't reduce output.

The TL on it's 1100 lumen setting ran 61/63 minutes in two separate tests before the low battery indicator came on,identified by the red led. In both scenarios the TL maintained the 1100 lumens for six more minutes before finally shutting off.So run times are slightly better than claimed.

I ran two tests on the next brightest setting, 650 lumens.I have to say for biking this would be the most used setting as it is almost as bright to my eyes as the 1100 lumen setting with longer run times.
    The run times of 1:52/1:51 minutes fell short of Lupines two hour claim, but not by much.Having true measured (not claimed) lumens of up to 1100,is very taxing on the small two cell battery which because of it's size doesn't have the buffer of a four or six cell battery,thus why the run times are not exactly half of my Wilma 5's 4-cell.

The only inconsistency i found was in the reserve tank which can only be activated once the battery becomes to drained for any other operation.This will give you aprox 150 lumens to get home. I had 14 minutes of reserve in my first test before the light shut off.The next two,i had 50/55 minute reserve times in which i ended up shutting off the light as it didn't make sence to me to have that big of a discrepancy in reserve times.Not sure what's going on there.

To put in perspective how bright this thing is, at the third brightest setting (440 lumens),it is brighter than my MS on full power. In this setting Lupine claimes 3.5 hour run times.I havent tested but the point is, there is a ton of available light here, in a self contained product built with jewelry precision, it is 4" long and has a total weight of 219g.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm wondering how the TL compared to my Dinotte 1200. I typically run that on medium (which I'd guess is about 800 lumens). Looks to if I were going to use this light, I'd need an extra battery for safety. Most of my rides run about an hour long slighlty more and often are in the cold (30F or so).

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I haven't seen the Dinotte 1200 in action but would think the TL would easily hold it's own.Colour rendition i think my be easier on the eyes with the TL as the 1200 uses the older leds that if i remember correctly have more of a blue tint.Is that correct John80?

I would have to guess that the 650 lumen setting on the TL will be as bright as your Dinotte's med. It is still very bright and almost two hour run times.

mtbr member
    ...indebt, I wanted to thank you for doing the quickie review of the TL and particularly for doing the run time comparisons on all the different output levels. That is very helpful to people who might want to buy one of these set-ups. Anyway, I know how much of a PITA it is to do run time tests as you have to set there and baby sit so to speak. I'm glad to hear that the TL has a 440lm setting. If it truly is brighter than a MS on high I think that will be a setting that most will use for extended riding. If you have a 250lm setting that can extend rides even further. While the TL cost a boat load of cash at least you're getting a lot of versatility and quality for the money.

In a nut shell, if you're one of those people who drool over the compact and light-weight set-ups and just happen to have deep pockets, this is the kind of thing you've been waiting for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    @indebt - thanks from me too for all the testing and responses.

The Dinotte 1200 has a pretty white beam from what I can tell - at least mine does. I don't perceive it as blue-ish at all.

I really wish they would make a cap to screw on the back of the TL that would be nothing more than a converter from the battery contacts to their battery cable connector. That would give you the option of using the Wilma TL in either configuration - with a screw on 2.5Ah battery pack as a flashlight/self contained unit or with any of the other Lupine batteries for more traditional bike applications and/or run times.

J.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80

I really wish they would make a cap to screw on the back of the TL that would be nothing more than a converter from the battery contacts to their battery cable connector. That would give you the option of using the Wilma TL in either configuration - with a screw on 2.5Ah battery pack as a flashlight/self contained unit or with any of the other Lupine batteries for more traditional bike applications and/or run times.

J.
    That would be so amazing hopefully they are thinking about it as we speak
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It would be really, cool and super cheap/simple to make, I would think.

For what it's worth, there are also rumors of a flashlight version of the Piko. If done right with an articulating head, that would make an awesome helmet light.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx guys!! Cat-man-do, I just went outside and re confirmed that the 440 lumen setting on the TL is much more than a little brighter than my MS on full power. I had to click through all the MS settings twice to make sure it was on it's highest setting as it was no where near as bright as 440 lumen setting on the TL. Oh, and there is a 230 lumen setting that will give you 7 hours of run time.

JohnJ80 i hope your right on the Piko version as it would probably use the same 2.5Ah battery set up. This would be a cableless handle bar/helmet set up that would give way more light output than two MS's, and very long run times.

I will do some prodding around, send some emails to Bill at Gretna and maybe Stefan at Lupine to see how they feel about a minor tweek to accommodate external battery's. A very good point JohnJ80, and an option a light of this price point should have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I talked to one of the guys at Gretna too about the adaptor piece. If they do that, my order is in.

On the Piko - Look at what Light and Motion did with their soon to be in stores Solite 150 (150 lumens):

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/04/16/...-light-motion/

This is a neat idea that I'd like to see replicated on something like the Piko. Making a clip attachment so that the lighthead snaps onto the battery making a flashlight. That said while the Piko is considerably more, it kills this thing: only a few grams heavier and 3X the lumen output.

I have the L&M Vis 360 that has this lighthead (or same form factor) but the battery is also a flasher taillight. I use that with my 1200 as the light to shine at cars by looking at them at intersections to make sure that they see me. It's a really cool little light for it's size and very bright also for it's size. The Piko, however blows it away.

J.

mtbr member
    How is the handlebar mount attached to that Lupine flashlight? Does it screw-on or some twist to lock type of thing. I like it. Bad ass flashlight and bike light in one. What else you need? Price aint too bad for both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I believe that there is a threaded hole into which screws an adaptor. I haven't seen one so I really can't say.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bang on JohnJ80,, same screw in style mount as the Betty and Wilma.Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Probably a silly question as Lupine quality it top notch. But what are the threads made of in the light body? Steel insert? Or just the threaded aluminum of the body?
    My concern would be over time this thread to fastener interface getting sloppy from repetitive tightening and vibration and eventually blowing out.
    Sure seems that this mount to flashlight connection should have been some other sort of mechanical connection instead of the threaded fastener. Could also be over-thinking it : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deano machineo
    Probably a silly question as Lupine quality it top notch. But what are the threads made of in the light body? Steel insert? Or just the threaded aluminum of the body?
    My concern would be over time this thread to fastener interface getting sloppy from repetitive tightening and vibration and eventually blowing out.
    Sure seems that this mount to flashlight connection should have been some other sort of mechanical connection instead of the threaded fastener. Could also be over-thinking it : )

Yep. Not too many reports on Lupine mounts failing.

J.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast