MK_
    carpe maņana

Lupine Wilma (external switch) upgrade Qs

I've been out of the loop for a few years on this and as I started looking into the possibility of upgrading I've come up with a slew of questions I am having a hard time finding definitive answers for. I'm hoping some Lupine experts can chime in.

I have an older Wilma with an external switch.
    I believe it is the 15W model and it has the red board in it.

I believe that the claimed output for this light head is 830 lumen.
    From what I've been reading the actual output is significantly less than claimed as that figure was a theoretical output calculated by multiplying the projected output from each LED by 4.

The current upgrade with the 22 degree lens is specced at 1100 lumen. I believe this is the measured output. The board consists of 2 x CREE XP-G and 2 x CREE XM-L LEDs.

First; would it be as simple as modifying the current red PCB with the above LEDs to achieve the same output? Or is the PCB manufactured from different material, etc. to achieve better heat sinking and/or better current drive capacity?

Why not 4 XM-L LEDs? The driver in the old lamp head is not capable of driving all 4?

Finally, the new driver is 26W vs 15W of the old, hence the very disparate lumen performance?

Thanks.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

BBW
    mtbr member
    You will get actually 1000 lumens OTF with the DYI kit. The old 830L would put out somewhere in the 500-600?
    The driver is different so it wouldn't be possible to achieve the 1100 lm
    4 XM-L would require different optics too because of the size of the LEDs

The upgrade is really worth it if you want to keep it; if not the new Wilma is 2400 lumens OTF ;-)
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    I upgraded my 15 watt Wilma with external switch quite a while ago and when I bought mine the upgrade was advertised as 1000 lumens so I guess they have updated the upgrade board since I bought mine. Still it was a pretty big upgrade as it seemed to almost double the output of the original claimed 830 lumens. It was simple to upgrade. I just had to unscrew a few screws and take out the old red pcb and the new one fits right in it's place and replace screws. I upgraded my Wilma and ALso Betty with external pcs and it was no problem with either and both made a huge improvement.

Lupine being advertised as upgradeable and all fine fine until they change the light head and seems like the older Lupine users with external switches will be left behind. Still, my older Lupines are impressive with 1,750 and 1,000 real lumen output and have been flawless in performance so I can't whine too much.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Do you know if the PCB material is different between the red and gold boards? The 3 Cree XM-L U2 binned LEDs cost ~$20 shipped from Asia. The upgrade kit is ~$135.

I'm wondering if I can just solder up fresh LEDs and be good to go?

One question is how well the original optics work with the new LEDs, if at all?

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    I couldn't answer that question on the PCB material sorry MK, but the optics are different and I don't think they would work with the new LEDs which seem smaller.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I couldn't answer that question on the PCB material sorry MK, but the optics are different and I don't think they would work with the new LEDs which seem smaller.
    Thanks. I'm wondering about the PCB from heat sinking perspective, although if they produce more luminosity per mA they probably run cooler.

I've got two Wilma heads so I'll probably get one proper kit and try the DIY approach on the other to compare the results.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Thanks. I'm wondering about the PCB from heat sinking perspective, although if they produce more luminosity per mA they probably run cooler.

I've got two Wilma heads so I'll probably get one proper kit and try the DIY approach on the other to compare the results.

_MK
    If you don't care about warranty and that and want to modify the light, there is a guy on ebay that sells upgrades DYI for it. I think he is in candlepower forums. Maybe you could check into that he goes by t_e_s_t_o on ebay
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    I've got a Wilma 1100 and a Betty 1850 I would like to sell for much less than new. Even though both are like new. Pm me if interested.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6