mtbr member

Lupine Wilma 7 question: Switchable optics?

Okay, tonight I was bored and started looking at the MTBR beam photos. The tunnel photo of the Wilma 7 is very impressive to say the least. Unbelievable output. Well this got me thinking, "Does Lupine offer this lamp with a slightly narrower optic option. Not that the W7 doesn't have throw...Jeez....it has awesome throw. I was thinking it might be nice to have one of those on the helmet but the standard 26°optics might be a little wide for helmet use. Heck, with one of those on the lid you almost wouldn't need a bar lamp.

Anyway, for those who might be using one of those on the helmet I'd like to know how you like it. If I could get one of those with maybe an 18°optic I might actually be willing to lay down the coin. I still want a fairly wide beam pattern but I just want most of the light going a bit more forward.

Hummm...I just read some of the reviews. Seems it has a pretty good spot pattern according to some of the users. Anyone want to loan me $600?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Cat-man-do,,, As far is I can see there is no narrower optic available. Honestly there really is no need as this light is a beast in every way. I know you prefer singe led lights for your lid to keep the irritation of bugs/dust and any other floaties away from you peripheral vision, but in all honesty me running two Betty-R's, one been on my helmet I find the only time that much light is a bother is riding through a dew point/rain/snow. Otherwise there is just so much warm light that you can just focus on the trail ahead like daytime.

I had the older Wilma with the R-5's and it was narrow and had a spotty beam great for the helmet, but this new Wilma takes to the next level.
    Last edited by indebt; 3 Days Ago at 10:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Two Bettys! Anything you can't see, you just burn down.

I can't ride with a helmet light here in Minnesota until we've had the first good solid frost that kills all the bugs. Then it's what I do.

I don't think the Wilmas have interchangeable optics. That might be a nice accessory market for Lupine. You could change out the optics depending on what beam you wanted.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Hey Cat-man-do,,, As far is I can see there is no narrower optic available. Honestly there really is no need as this light is a beast in every way. I know you prefer singe led lights for your lid to keep the irritation of bugs/dust and any other floaties away from you peripheral vision, but in all honesty me running two Betty-R's, one been on my helmet I find the only time that much light is a bother is riding through a dew point/rain/snow. Otherwise there is just so much warm light that you can just focus on the trail ahead like daytime.

I had the older Wilma with the R-5's and it was narrow and had a spotty beam great for the helmet, but this new Wilma takes to the next level.
    The Wilma 7 looks like it could be the ultimate helmet lamp. Because I have particular taste when it comes to helmet lighting I would have to demo the W7 before buying. Too much money to do it any other way. There is a local dealer where I live that might just let me do that. Assuming I would love the light once tried the only other issue is the money and whether or not I really need a lamp like this. I have some pretty good lamps and for the most part have no problems seeing the things I really need to see. Still, owning a helmet lamp that could provide a fairly wide beam and not compromise distance clarity would be sweet. The only way to really know if a lamp like the Wilma 7 is going to ring my chimes is to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The Wilma 7 looks like it could be the ultimate helmet lamp. Because I have particular taste when it comes to helmet lighting I would have to demo the W7 before buying. Too much money to do it any other way. There is a local dealer where I live that might just let me do that. Assuming I would love the light once tried the only other issue is the money and whether or not I really need a lamp like this. I have some pretty good lamps and for the most part have no problems seeing the things I really need to see. Still, owning a helmet lamp that could provide a fairly wide beam and not compromise distance clarity would be sweet. The only way to really know if a lamp like the Wilma 7 is going to ring my chimes is to give it a try.
    Every time I find myself waiting for my wife at the bottom of a good decent and then i see her coming, I'm still impressed with the Duo/Xera set up I got for her. It is a great combo and bright. I have to admit I got a little caught up in the next best thing for a while but at this point I would take a Wilma (with wireless remote) over the Betty-R for the lid all day long. I actually inquired about that before finding out that feature was on the Betty-R only, I do operate both lamp heads with on remote and like having that option. But I do feel the weight on a fast chunky or choppy decent.

Most don't need a lamp like the Wilma, or a Bugatti, but it sure makes what you do more fun!! In my case most of my riding is solo and with my history with wildlife,,, the more light the better. Keep us posted if you do get to try out a Wilma,,, I'm interested in your impression considering what your usual preference is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm pretty luck in my demographic JohnJ80 as it cools off once fall comes making night riding with bugs a non issue. Don't do much summer night riding as it doesn't get dark out till about 10:30. By then if I'm still awake, I'm just to lazy!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If I didn't have lights, it would really cut into my mileage. Right now, I get home from work at about 6pm and sunset is 7pm. We're in a valley so it's about 10 minutes earlier than that. I'd not be getting a lot of mileage in unless I had lights. Right now, about half of my evening ride is full on in the dark.

Riding at night can be tricky if you don't have enough light. The incremental difference from a crummy light to a good one is not that much - especially when you figure in the cost of a bad crash, the subsequent medical bills and the recovery. It's not a good place to cut corners.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Two Bettys! Anything you can't see, you just burn down.

mtbr member
    Two Bettys!...way too much light there for your average trail ride. With that much light you might actually need sunglasses with a slight polarized tint.

Right now I'm considering all my options for the best ( or near best ) in helmet lighting. I'm saddened that the DiNotte XML-3 ( newer version ) isn't included in the Light shootout. It is one of the lamps that I'm considering. I'm also considering the Gloworm X/S for the helmet. With three spot lenses it too just might be the ticket. Once again the MTBR shootout isn't helping me because the Gloworm lamps weren't included in the tunnel photos so really no way to compare them to the lamps outputting the same or near lumen.

My last option is to use two lamps that I currently own and mount them to the helmet. I have a set-up that will work but it does weigh a bit more than what I'm used to. I plan to take a ride tomorrow to see how it will work. The set up ( below ) will be the Xeccon Spiker 1211 ( wider beam pattern ) and the Xeccon S-12 ( narrow beam pattern ) for the super throw. Should work well together. The S-12 will only be used for the faster trails. I might take the MS 808E I own along and switch out with the S-12 to see what combo works best. Anyway, running two lamps should give the Xeccon ( Panasonic ) 6800 mAh battery I have a run for the money. I just hope the helmet doesn't sway or slide too much with the additional weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lupine Wilma 7 question: Switchable optics?-xeccon-duo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Two Bettys!...way too much light there for your average trail ride. With that much light you might actually need sunglasses with a slight polarized tint.

You guys do know the Betty's do have programmable lower outputs right?? LOL!!! It's just weird,,, I don't find them too bright at all unless I'm in a very narrow trail with heavy growth reflecting the light back at me,, but do use the low output setting so not to bad. 7200 lumens are only used on the fast downhill and is no where near too bright for me for some reason.

Yes not much out there Cat-man-do regarding the new XM-L3 from owners. Being such a small lamp head and if I'm remembering correctly a lens that looked a bit frosted, tells me this may be a flood style beam with three XM-L2's in there.

I do think the XS with triple spot optics could be a real contender for a potent helmet lamp and I do like its low profile. I will be a bit surprised if you find a multi led helmet lamp that wont bug you in your demographic as a wider beam means more floaters in your vision. What ever you decision I'm looking forward to your feedback. Cheers!!
    Last edited by indebt; 2 Days Ago at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member

Yes not much out there Cat-man-do regarding the new ( DiNotte ) XML-3 from owners. Being such a small lamp head and if I'm remembering correctly a lens that looked a bit frosted, tells me this may be a flood style beam with three XM-L2's in there.

I do think the XS with triple spot optics could be a real contender for a potent helmet lamp and I do like its low profile. I will be a bit surprised if you find a multi led helmet lamp that wont bug you in your demographic as a wider beam means more floaters in your vision. What ever you decision I'm looking forward to your feedback. Cheers!!
    Concerning the DiNotte, yes I was thinking the same thing. I've seen user photos but from the photos I've seen I can't tell how much throw it has WHICH is the key issue. It might actually be a killer light.

GW X/S on the other hand can be used with three spot optics and has a measured 2300 lumen output. Light weight, low profile, programmable ...all good things not to mention it is about half the cost of the Wilma. Still, the Wilma output makes me drool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes!!! the Wilma is awesome and probably will out perform the XS but not by a lot I don't think. I love the feature on the Wilma where it gives you real time mAh usage as well as accurate voltage readouts. If you winter ride, the Lupines wires stay soft in the cold so you don't feel like your going to snap anything when manipulating position of lamp head or battery if needed. I do find the wires on my Gemini products to be of less quality and more stiff in the cold.

I'm still a bit surprised we don't hear more about the Dinotte XM-L3 as it really seems like a great value for a quality product. Out of the three lights were talking about though I think the dinotte may have the least throw of the bunch.

mtbr member
    Cat, if money is not an issue I wouldn't hesitate and go with Lupine. I was also considering the Wilma prior to purchasing my xS. After seeing my friends betty I was blown away. I asked myself if I was willing to spend 600$ for one wilma or purchssing two XS' for the same amount. Money was a factor in my decision so I passed on the Wilma. But like I said before the XS is a killer light. Two XS would be a killer set up. I would love to hear how the Dinotte Xml-4 performs against the XS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    If I didn't have lights, it would really cut into my mileage. Right now, I get home from work at about 6pm and sunset is 7pm. We're in a valley so it's about 10 minutes earlier than that. I'd not be getting a lot of mileage in unless I had lights. Right now, about half of my evening ride is full on in the dark.

Riding at night can be tricky if you don't have enough light. The incremental difference from a crummy light to a good one is not that much - especially when you figure in the cost of a bad crash, the subsequent medical bills and the recovery. It's not a good place to cut corners.

J.
    Well put JohnJ80, I do value getting home safe in the dark and have been fortunate enough to ride with the best lights available. It is nice to see though that the lower priced systems quality have made big strides over the past few years allowing more people to also get home safely. It is also good that there is a true passion here and that the education we give each other has been helpful such as recommendation of letting newbies know to use two systems or at least have a back up torch that can get them home in a pinch just to name one.

mtbr member
    Okay, tonight I took the duel helmet lamp set-up out for a test spin. Once again I did the same ride where I first tested the Xeccon 1211.

In a nutshell it worked pretty good. Weight and helmet movement turned out not to be a factor. Having the extra lamp ( S-12 ) made a world of difference for seeing into the distance. The other lamp ( 1211 ) made sure that I had a wide enough beam for close stuff. Never at any time did I feel like I was dealing with the "dancing ball" effect. Heck I was seeing everything well before I needed to. This is real important when dodging horse patties. Just wish I was able to avoid the tall grass. Unfortunately having good lights doesn't help with that. As I'm sitting here writing this I'm still pulling the hitchhikers off my legs and socks.

Tonight I really needed the extra light. Already leaves are covering many of the trails and hiding a lot of stuff that you really don't want to hit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Cat, if money is not an issue I wouldn't hesitate and go with Lupine. I was also considering the Wilma prior to purchasing my xS. After seeing my friends betty I was blown away. I asked myself if I was willing to spend 600$ for one wilma or purchssing two XS' for the same amount. Money was a factor in my decision so I passed on the Wilma. But like I said before the XS is a killer light. Two XS would be a killer set up. I would love to hear how the Dinotte Xml-4 performs against the XS.
    As I don't want to hijack your post with Cat,, I just wanted to mention that I think the XM-L4 looks a bit big for helmet use so a non factor in comparison with the XS for helmet use

mtbr member
    As I don't want to hijack your post with Cat,, I just wanted to mention that I think the XM-L4 looks a bit big for helmet use so a non factor in comparison with the XS for helmet use
    Not even close to a hijack. I totally agree, the DiNotte XML-4 is too big for helmet mounting. The DiNotte XML-3 on the other hand is not that big. How well it would work on the helmet is still a question I'd like to see answered.

I want to retry using my ( D003 )Stepless 3- xml2 as a helmet lamp but I have to make sure the emitters are re-glued to the heat sink. The lamp is a little heavy but should weigh less than the 2 lamp set-up I used tonight. Now if I could retro-fit the Nitefire Hero 2 with XM-L2 emitters that might make it brighter and more preferable. I might actually write D/X and see if they can build these with different emitters. I like the Nitefire H2 because it is quite bright as is and is pretty light weight ( even though the one I have has switch button issues ).