mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Lupine Tesla 4 battery runtime

Hey,

New to this forum and surprise, surprise I DON'T have a Magicshine question.. Just picked up a Lupine Tesla 4 and was wondering if anyone can give me some real world data on battery runtimes? I had a less than positive experience on my first ride the other night. Claimed runtime is 3 hours on high, but the low-battery indicator had kicked in on my unit after less than 30 minutes, and then went into reserve shortly thereafter... It was a bit unnverving having the light step down in intensity as I was blasting some gnarly lines here in B.C....

I am hoping my issues will be somewhat resolved by a proper recharging/conditioning of the battery, but I would like to hear others impressions as well... thanks for your help.

Rob.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine has gone over 2.5 hrs on full (I don't use any other setting). You may want to call Gretnabikes after one more charge cycle....if you are still seeing this. In fact, just call them to explain your experience now. I don't know if Li-Ion bateries need to be conditioned inititally...I didn't think so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Maybe you got one from the faulty batch with the 16W power consumption. Also, if it's not the programmable head (called the Tesla SC) then the low battery warning kicks in way too early (but then it doesn't go to reserve mode - mine goes to red in about 10 minutes, but then goes on for at least two hours). Also, the Wiesel doesn't charge your battery full (it stops around 7.8V - Lupine may have corrected that already).
    Did you charge the battery yourself before you went riding? An empty battery could also be the reason for your symptoms ;-) Runtime should be about 2.5 hours, especially with a new battery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hmmm... the manual for the Tesla 4 doesn't mention any programmability (PCS?), even though my unit does go through the battery check sequencing (blue + red lights to indicate voltage) when the battery is connected to the lighthead.

When I intially got the light it would not accept a charge so I assumed it was ready to go, although the manual stated otherwise. After the initial use and leaving the battery charging overnight (green light on), the initial battery check shows 7.9 volts, which is apparently good? I seem to vaguely recall that when I received the unit it did not go through the same length of voltage identification on startup which may explain the short runtime?

Personally, I am not too worried about the low battery warning kicking in early as I wear it only on the helmet and won't be looking at it too often... my longest rides are generally around 2 hours so that burntime on high would be fine.

The next ride should reveal the goods (or bads...)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do call Gretnabikes. Don't go out and have to ride back in the dark unless you have a backup, especialy if you see signs of Bear and Mountain Lions where you ride.

One way to test it is run it on high with a fast breeze blowing on the light from a fan (from inches away). The cooling effect will let it run without heat management dropping the light output. Make sure the environment is cool and there is enough space around the light to dissipate the warm air.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sent Todd @ Gretnabikes an email... thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So, new lighthead is enroute from Gretna bikes to replace mine.... great CS by Todd... I'm a bit disappointed that my unit had issues, but that's life...

Thanks for the suggestions to contact Gretna bikes... cheers.

Rob.

Its got what plants crave
    Quality control issues on a high end light?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    High-end products are not immune from QC issues. As long as I get good customer service I am usually happy....

Rob.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieG
    Hey,

New to this forum and surprise, surprise I DON'T have a Magicshine question.. Just picked up a Lupine Tesla 4 and was wondering if anyone can give me some real world data on battery runtimes? I had a less than positive experience on my first ride the other night. Claimed runtime is 3 hours on high, but the low-battery indicator had kicked in on my unit after less than 30 minutes, and then went into reserve shortly thereafter... It was a bit unnverving having the light step down in intensity as I was blasting some gnarly lines here in B.C....

I am hoping my issues will be somewhat resolved by a proper recharging/conditioning of the battery, but I would like to hear others impressions as well... thanks for your help.

Rob.
    Same thing happened to me. I got a replacement one that also did same thing then stopped charging. I was very dissapointed given the fact this is suppose to be the best light out there. Luckily my local LBS took good care of me.

I ended up getting the Dinotte lights (1200 lumen + 400 lumen headlight). They both work great without any issues (knock on wood).

BBW
    mtbr member
    Just did a room test on mine since I was curious.
    Battery started at 8.1v and the red light kicked in at 90 minutes.
    It run 60 more minutes on high until the light shutted down
    So I got 2:30h on high and the battery was showing 6.4v, which leaves 1v for the reserve (the battery shuts down at 5.4v to protect it according to the manual )

If I used 1.7v for 2.5h and I still have 1v until the battery dies, I guess I will have at least 1 more hour during reserve?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Are you using a different charger than the Wiesel to charge your battery? I can only get mine to 7.9V with the stock charger... funny thing is when I connect the battery to the light without the patch cable it reads 7.9V, with the patch cable this drops to 7.6V, very odd.

On high I only get about 30 minutes until the red light comes on, and the battery check shows 7.5V at this point. After 90 minutes the voltage is 7.2V with the red light still on. Apparently my headlmap is somewhat fubar'ed and a replacement is on the way.

I still used it for a ride last night and I really love the beam pattern regardless of the gremlins.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How are you guys getting the voltage readings off the Tesla? Mine (maybe a year old) doesn't have any sort of indicator other than the button that lights up blue or red. Are you using an external meter or do the newer models have additional functionality?

mtbr member
    Digital multimeter

(not part of any Lupine light pack )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mine goes through a flash cycle when connected of blue and then red in sequence that I understand to be an indicator of the voltage... (eg. 7 blue + 5 red = 7.5V).

When I checked the Tesla 4 manual it does not mention this capability, but the Tesla 5 manual does... I thought I had the Tesla 4, but maybe I got a Tesla 5 lamphead? Not sure.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieG
    Are you using a different charger than the Wiesel to charge your battery? I can only get mine to 7.9V with the stock charger... funny thing is when I connect the battery to the light without the patch cable it reads 7.9V, with the patch cable this drops to 7.6V, very odd.

On high I only get about 30 minutes until the red light comes on, and the battery check shows 7.5V at this point. After 90 minutes the voltage is 7.2V with the red light still on. Apparently my headlmap is somewhat fubar'ed and a replacement is on the way.

I still used it for a ride last night and I really love the beam pattern regardless of the gremlins.
    I'm charging the Tesla with the Wilma charger (micro)

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    How are you guys getting the voltage readings off the Tesla? Mine (maybe a year old) doesn't have any sort of indicator other than the button that lights up blue or red. Are you using an external meter or do the newer models have additional functionality?
    I connect it to the Wilma... it reads voltage
    My Tesla doesn't show voltage (also from the first badge?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    From my understanding the Tesla 4 does not show the voltage upon startup while the Tesla 5 does... apparently my lamphead is the Tesla 5. I was able to program the PCS and change the light mode and it shows the voltage on startup.