Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lupine Piko

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Lupine Piko

New light to be announce soon.
    Lupine Piko.
    Here's a picture taken from Lupine's facebook page, the helmet light has been tagged as the Lupine Piko in the image below.

Quote Originally Posted by LUPINE
    it's new, and it's small. mikro? nano? piko! more to be seen in two weeks at outdoor exhibition:http://www.outdoor-show.de/od-en//

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    The smaller the lighthead, the better it is on the helmet. I'm very interested in seeing this one.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Piko's beam shot from Lupine's website.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Light freak
    8W high power LED?? Anybody have an idea what LED they are using? Maybe it is just me, but that beamshot is not that impressive, too tight for my taste.

I prefer a beamshot more like this (Cree XP-G R5)

coming from a tiny housing like this

mtbr member
    I prefer scars beam shot too. The Piko doesn't appear to put out enough light for my uses, but I do like to see new offerings though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    The smaller the lighthead, the better it is on the helmet. I'm very interested in seeing this one.
    Small is better, but I doubt that you will really see small from the "mainstream" builders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lupine Piko-micro2.jpg  

Lupine Piko-micro3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well... they have a dog... and a Dinotte 400L???

Name:  lupine_piko_dog.JPG
Views: 3128
Size:  41.8 KB Name:  dinotte_400L.JPG
Views: 3080
Size:  10.8 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OK, joking aside, here is a comparison. It seems that the Piko will come with its own mount.

The size is: B = 40 mm H = 24 mm T = 32 mm

Lupine Piko-lupine_betty_vs_piko.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    I prefer scars beam shot too. The Piko doesn't appear to put out enough light for my uses, but I do like to see new offerings though.
    You cannot compare the brightness of the two lights based on these photos directly. What scar was trying to say is that the Piko has spot lens, whereas his is more of a flood.

The brightness of the Piko should be nearly equal to the old (non-XPG) Wilma. Which is not too bad actually...

Light freak
    The great thing about the XP-G mated with the Regina reflectors is that it is a combo of great throw with good flood characteristics. Pretty much perfect for me (and everyone that has seen in action)

I agree, it is impossible to compare the two photos as the camera settings are probably different.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    A little more info available on the Lupine site:

http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products/lightheads/piko/

But what I don't understand:
    8W and 550 lumen ==> 69 lumens per watt.
    Assuming they use XP-G, this does not make sense AT ALL. Shouldn't the lumen per watt figure be at least 1.5 times higher?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    But what I don't understand:
    8W and 550 lumen ==> 69 lumens per watt.
    Assuming they use XP-G, this does not make sense AT ALL. Shouldn't the lumen per watt figure be at least 1.5 times higher?
    They are just one of the few companies being honest in stating the real world lumen rating. I suspect they actually measured the output of the light in an integrating sphere. Keep in mind the numbers you hear quoted by the LED makers are under very specific and ideal lab conditions. It's also not that hard to figure out a somewhat realistic real world value using the info in the datasheet.

8W into an 85% efficient regulator gives 6.8 watts to the leds. That's right on the power consumed by two XPGs running at 1000ma

XPG R5 at 350ma = 139 lumens
    250% increase for 1000ma drive = 348 lumens

if you assume 10 degree-c/watt thermal resistance from LED to case plus the 6 degree-c/watt internal thermal resistance of the LED and a case temp of 30 degrees you can estimate the junction temp and the derating of lumens at that temp.

30 + (16 x 3.3watt) = 83 C junction temp - about 88% of the lumens based on that Tj

348 lumens * 0.88 = 306 lumen
    optics are typically around 90% efficient 306 * .9 = 275 lumen
    2 LEDs give 275 * 2 = 550 lumen

I didn't really expect to get their exact number when I started this post, but there you go....I'd say their spec is pretty much right on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    You cannot compare the brightness of the two lights based on these photos directly. What scar was trying to say is that the Piko has spot lens, whereas his is more of a flood.

The brightness of the Piko should be nearly equal to the old (non-XPG) Wilma. Which is not too bad actually...
    You are right, we can't compare the brightness between these two lights fairly with these pictures. I do still like the wider beamshot of the amoeba, but would be interested in seeing a comparison of the throw of each light.

If the Piko is putting out the claimed lumens, which it probably is now that Lupine has seemed to broken out of their old ways of over inflating their lumen claims, then yes it should be fairly equal to the old Wilma output. As I have used an old Wilma 830 for a couple of years I can say that it put out a good amount of light and if the Piko at a mere 55grams can equal that then this is impressive and a good step for them. If I had not just recently upgraded my Wilma 830, which should now get about 1000 lumens, then the Piko would appeal to me much more. I do love my upgraded Wilma beam and I feel the beam is perfect for use on my helmet, but I do notice the weight on my helmet and that is the only downside. For info my Wilma light head is 125g compared to the 55g Piko light head. I do give Lupine props for offering such a light weight light and it should be a good addition to their stable.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    They are just one of the few companies being honest in stating the real world lumen rating.
    (...)
    I didn't really expect to get their exact number when I started this post, but there you go....I'd say their spec is pretty much right on.
    Well done

BUT I believe Lupine should state this more clearly (if it is indeed the case), so that people don't think that the Piko is inferior to other 2 x XP-G @*1A lights...
    I, at least, started wondering what Lupine had done to come up with a brand new light with such a low light ouput (apparently).

mtbr member
    Just received my Piko light. Looking good!! Weight is good too.
    I am using it with my Betty 7. I haven't try it out properly yet but the beam looks tight but wide. I will try to take some light photo's of it later on. Also pick up a 2.5Ah battery from Lupine to go with the Piko. Should give me 2 1/2 hours on full beam.
    Managed to fit the battery on the helmet which is handy if i choose not to carry my Camelbak

Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Lucky you! Looks like a sweet little light.

mtbr member
    Looks like Lupine has been borrowing our design ideas Scar.
    We just got magicshined

mtbr member
    Well done

BUT I believe Lupine should state this more clearly (if it is indeed the case), so that people don't think that the Piko is inferior to other 2 x XP-G @*1A lights...
    I, at least, started wondering what Lupine had done to come up with a brand new light with such a low light ouput (apparently).
    ...I agree with this thinking as well. I don't see anything on the Lupine web site stating that these are duel XP-G's ( or that they are driven @ 1000ma ). They may well be using XP-G's but if so why don't they say. Lupine has no problem touting the use of XP-G's on their other lights so why not this one? I agree totally with Langen, by stating that the output is only 550 lumens it gives one pause. I'd like to know more about this lamp. I hate assuming things and trying to guess. Lupine needs to provide a little more information. I want to know what emitters they are using and how hard they are driving them. Not to mention knowing a little more about the optics would be nice too.

At first glance this looks like a nice offering from Lupine. I really like the size and the fact that the entire Sh'bang ( lamp/battery ) can be mounted on the helmet ( and yet still be very light-weight ). The one beam shot is impressive but it is one taken by "Their people" if you catch my drift. For the time being I'll not put too much stock in that one photo till I start seeing some "user" photos.

Lastly, anyone know how much $ the Piko is going for? I didn't see a price listing on their website yet for the Piko.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bill from Gretna believes Piko will be around $299. Not confirmed yet!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Bill from Gretna believes Piko will be around $299. Not confirmed yet!!
    I bought mine directly from Lupine without tax at EUR 164 (Headlamp only) and the battery (2.5Ah) was EUR 56 so the total EUR 220

Will try to take some beam shots in the next couple of days
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    The one beam shot is impressive but it is one taken by "Their people" if you catch my drift. For the time being I'll not put too much stock in that one photo till I start seeing some "user" photos.
    Taken from the Lupine website - Piko and Tesla on max. I think this looks very good:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lupine Piko-piko8.jpg  

Lupine Piko-tesla12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Taken from the Lupine website - Piko and Tesla on max. I think this looks very good:
    Yes the photos on the Lupine website are impressive. However I would of liked to have known how they were done...specifically, were the lamps bar mounted for the photos AND what position does the camera have relative to the lamps?

Anyway, I don't see why anyone would think the Piko beam pattern would be narrow. IMO, it looks a little too wide for a helmet lamp. I would of liked to have seen a little more light beyond those three trees to the left and a little less light in the foreground. Of course if these are bar mounted photos that could explain some things.

One of the things I've noticed when using my single XP-G torch is that the output and throw look awesome *when no other lights are turned on*. As soon as I turn up my bar lamps over the 500 lumen range then the single XPG is not so impressive. The point I'm making is that helmet lamps that are not so powerful or focused aren't as much help once you start using brighter bar lamps in combo.

I can't wait to see if MTBR does a review of the new Piko. An Amoeba review would be nice as well. Zen, anytime you want to put a couple XP-G's/ Regina's in your 500L model, go ahead and knock yourself out. The peanut gallery loves competition.

mtbr member
    I have had XPG's in the 500l for about a year now, and the lenses I am using throw a very tight spot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Great comparison!!! Looks to me like the path is a little high centred just past the second duck as in both photo's the ligh falls off quite a bit after that point on the ground of the path. For me, i think i like the beam of the Piko better. Has whiter light and i think may have a longer throw as it seams a fair bit brighter up to the high point. Is the Piko going to be replacing the Tesla as there is the MS and Baja Stryker which must have put a good dent in it's sales?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Are Lupines test images fake? + Lupine Piko X recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Piko's beam shot from Lupine's website.

In regards to the light test on Lupine's web site
    http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products/lighttest/z
    are the ducks in the photo actually fake, e.g. made of plastic??
    Is it a standard type of thing placing objects in the image to give you a better picture of the size of the area being lit up. (Looks like there's a deer in the back? I can't quite make it out)

IF NOT, my direct conlusion is that one single photo was taken and Photoshop was used to create fake the beams for each respecitve lamp since the ducks haven't moved a bit.

Anyone know?

I've been quite keen on the Lupine Piko X: trail running in the forest in complete darkness. But does anyone have any feedback on how good it is for biking in darkness, which'd require more from a lamp than when running. Is the beam perhaps to narrow for biking?

Tks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast