mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Lupine Piko 3, Tesla 5, Wilma 5

I am looking for a headlight for my road bike and am trying to decide between the Lupine Piko 3, Tesla 5, and possibly Wilma 5. I know this is a mountain bike forum but you guys seem to know your stuff about bike lights.

Light will be mounted on the bars (centered) and used for night time group/solo rides. The difference in price between the Piko and Tesla with the accessory bar mounts is $223. Piko $342, Tesla $565. From the comments and the photos I've seen it appears the Tesla is the better light but just trying to decide if it's worth the extra money or if the Piko will be fine? Also, for $120 more should I be looking at the Wilma 5?

Any comments to help me decide is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I would keep it between the Piko and Wilma, as for the money i think the Tesla right now has the least value. To keep it simple the Piko is almost as bright as the Tesla, 45lux for the Piko Vs.51lux for the Tesla. But if you were going to spend the extra $$$ as you put it $120 more for the Wilma, it measured 103lux, double the Tesla.If you can afford it the Wilma kicks A$%, and it's upgradable if you want to upgrade to the next brighter led's as they are improving every year.
    I ride with the Wilma and i can say there isn't alot out there that can out perform it at any cost.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I have owned the Tesla and the Wilma. I have not seen the Piko in person but I do think that IF you have the money, the Wilma is the way to go. You can ride it at 60% and pretty much have the same output (you won't notice much difference) and almost double the running time. This is good not even if you're planning on riding for that long but you don't have to charge your battery after every use ;-)
    I do think though that the Tesla has a very nice pattern for road and don't agree with you indebt that the Tesla has a lesser value since Lupine is quality and to me it doesn't matter that there are knock offs. Lupine is Lupine as far as built, quality, CS, etc..
    You can't go wrong with either one IMO but like I said, the Wilma is an animal and it will be upgradeable wich is alway nice so you don't have to fall behind or sell your light in the future
    Let us know
    Cheers
    Last edited by BBW; 01-23-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the great feedback! The point on battery life got me thinking that the Piko may be right on the edge of what I need since it is rated at 2.5 hours on high setting (which I would need with this light). My last night group ride lasted 2 hours, 34 minutes of cycling time, thus the Tesla and Wilma look to be more suitable options for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    don't forget, Lupine has larger batteries, and mounts nice, on the frame.
    for what I've seen, most have a small dual light on the handlebar.
    some have a helmet light, even lazy , to mount on handlebar, or give up a water bottle.
    also most road riders, are weight weenies.
    So the piko be a good choice, good looks, small weight, and you can get an extra battery, same size, or larger. and if you decide, you rather run on the helmet, you'd be all set.

note:
    most all LED's with reflector, have too large of a glare, and blind oncoming traffic.
    in germany, only certain lights are approved for that usage. Lupine piko is off-road.
    there is nothing you can do about it now.
    Don't forget a decent rear light, and reflective strips.
    cheers, Rob http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I have owned the Tesla and the Wilma (also the Betty but that is not discussed here). I have not seen the Piko in person but I do think that IF you have the money, the Wilma is the way to go. You can ride it at 60% and pretty much have the same output (you won't notice much difference) and almost double the running time. This is good not even if you're planning on riding for that long but you don't have to charge your battery after every use ;-)
    I do think though that the Tesla has a very nice pattern for road and don't agree with you indebt that the Tesla has a lesser value since Lupine is quality and to me it doesn't matter that there are knock offs. Lupine is Lupine as far as built, quiality, CS, etc..
    You can't go wrong with either one IMO but like I said, the Wilma is an animal and it will be upgradeable with is alway nice so you don't have to fall behind or sell your light
    Let us know
    Cheers
    I should have explained myself better, what i meant by lesser value was compared to the value of the Piko at $310 and for a $120 more than the Tesla, the Wilma been twice the light.So lesser value compared to the other choices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think I'm leaning towards the Piko right now since the Wilma would be about $340 more. I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost and guess I'm willing to give the Piko a try.

A couple of questions about the Piko that I haven't been able to find.

1) Is there a light meter or low battery warning signal on the light head? I'm thinking I could kick the beam down to a lower setting to conserve power if I find it's getting low.

2) The next lowest setting from the top is 2.5 watts. Any idea how many lumens this would translate to?

Again, I'm thinking my rides will last no more than 2:30-2:45 hours so I'm just concerned if this light will be able to go that long consistently on the highest setting. I know I can buy a bigger battery but at $180 for the 5.0 it's hard to justify not just spending an additional $163 and getting the Wilma.

Thanks so much for all the great feedback!

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRock
    I think I'm leaning towards the Piko right now since the Wilma would be about $340 more. I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost and guess I'm willing to give the Piko a try.

I know I can buy a bigger battery but at $180 for the 5.0 it's hard to justify not just spending an additional $163 and getting the Wilma.

I do think that if you call Gretnabikes and talk to Bill you could customize your Piko and maybe get a 5 Ah battery instead of the 2.5??? not sure but call and ask
    BBW. MS, RD

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    I should have explained myself better, what i meant by lesser value was compared to the value of the Piko at $310 and for a $120 more than the Tesla, the Wilma been twice the light.So lesser value compared to the other choices.
    Ok gotcha
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRock

A couple of questions about the Piko that I haven't been able to find.

1) Is there a light meter or low battery warning signal on the light head? I'm thinking I could kick the beam down to a lower setting to conserve power if I find it's getting low.

2) The next lowest setting from the top is 2.5 watts. Any idea how many lumens this would translate to?

Again, I'm thinking my rides will last no more than 2:30-2:45 hours so I'm just concerned if this light will be able to go that long consistently on the highest setting. I know I can buy a bigger battery but at $180 for the 5.0 it's hard to justify not just spending an additional $163 and getting the Wilma.

There is a low battery warning but it's a little confusing as it depends on the capaity setting(basically how quick the red led comes on)it's one of those things you as an owner has to get a feel for.There is a safty tank (reserve) once you light goes out giving you a few more minuts of light even after you think it's done.If you can ride 25/30 minuts on low setting 2.5 watts or (230lumens) throughout your total ride you will get the 2:45 minute run times you need for sure.

For your road bike and the Piko you have a 31.8 bar? Or do you know of other bar mount options?

Ps I bought a Piko recently, for my helmet and mountain riding (maybe road sometimes), but bar mount options are limited last I looked.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    For your road bike and the Piko you have a 31.8 bar? Or do you know of other bar mount options?
    Just checked and 31.8 is written on my bar so the Lupine bar mount should work. I don't know of any other options for larger bars.

I placed the order today with Gretna Bikes for the Piko and bar mount. Bill was extremely helpful in answering all my questions. In the end, I went with the standard battery that comes with the Piko. If this turns out not to be enough I will probably just order another battery and keep in my pocket or just use light on a lower setting. I should have the light early next week - can't wait! Will let you know how it works out.

I still have standard size bars both mountain and road, no big 31.8s (and hopefully they don't go any larger), so no bar mount option for me afaik. It's got great light at medium position imho, plenty of battery life at that setting...give it a try.
    suum quique

switchback sculptor
    Wrap a piece of innertube around your skinny bars till they are same diameter as the 31.8 mount?

Quote Originally Posted by erosive
    Wrap a piece of innertube around your skinny bars till they are same diameter as the 31.8 mount?
    There is that..

....just offended by the whole 31.8 shift in the first place and whining about it.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    well, there is a point.

with a nice light, you should not need to resort to duct-tape, and such.

besides, the mounting ring, is so slim, that a rubber inner tube , will be wobbly,
    never mind the looks.
    It's not a problem for me, since I got the fat bar.
    cheers, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    There is that..

....just offended by the whole 31.8 shift in the first place and whining about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I do think that if you call Gretnabikes and talk to Bill you could customize your Piko and maybe get a 5 Ah battery instead of the 2.5??? not sure but call and ask
    i just ordered the Pico for my new road bike - returning the Stella 300 with the super long cord.

just not sure where i will put the battery - how did u make out?

any photos that u can share

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i am doing the exact same - can u send me some photos of the install and battery. lerner.robert@gmail.com

thank u