mtbr member

Lupine Lights on ebay

I've been looking at a Lupine Betty (old style1500 lumens) brand new on ebay and the auction is almost over and the top bid so far is $560.00. I have no intention of placing a bid just watching it to see how high it gets.
    I noticed another ebay "buy it now" are selling Pikos for $425.00US plus shipping of 20 bucks or so and it comes from Germany. I can go to two reputable US distributors and get it for $320.00. It does have "make an offer" and with 5 different offers all have been rejected. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not affiliated in any way with the ebay auctions or distributors.

Woody

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1
    I've been looking at a Lupine Betty (old style1500 lumens) brand new on ebay and the auction is almost over and the top bid so far is $560.00. I have no intention of placing a bid just watching it to see how high it gets.
    I noticed another ebay "buy it now" are selling Pikos for $425.00US plus shipping of 20 bucks or so and it comes from Germany. I can go to two reputable US distributors and get it for $320.00. It does have "make an offer" and with 5 different offers all have been rejected. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not affiliated in any way with the ebay auctions or distributors.

Woody

Ebay is Ebay and you are trusting the other individual to be honest about what they are selling and the condition in which they are in. I've been burned to many times as you can most likely guess. If you do buy an Ebay Lupine then what is the support structure for repairing or replacing a damaged unit. If you buy through a viable source IE Gretnabikes then you will at least have some means of having the light repaired. IMHO I'd rather have known CS and product then have any question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    the best so far,
    no matter, where you are or where you bought from.

for most parts, it is very unlikely, that you will need service.
    lights are 2 years, batteries are 1/2 year, for what I know.
    and anybody can send it to germany for service if ever needed.
    Heard they had offered a batterie trade-in / upgrade for discount for older models.
    Most smaller Dealers will refer you to germany for repairs, Bigger dealers, usually take that too, forward it, in most cases, just send you a new one.
    the one on ebay, looks like from France , and selling high-end road bike stuff.
    and they ship world-wide. the higher price is probably to keep scammers more at bay.
    but europe, does have higher taxes, customs etc.
    I would guess, , if they sell a high-end wheelset or roadbike, to Dubai, that piko does not put a dent in. If you do buy it new, demo etc, from big or small, with receipt, should be no problem. never mind, you'd probably keep it longer , than the bike,...
    oops, Bajadesigns , is right up there with best service and warranty.
    mostly known for the off-road lights, as usual, not likely , that you ever need much service.
    just my 2 cents, Rob