mtbr member

Lupine Flashing Modes

can lupine be made to use as a daytime blinky ?

my beloved Secas as i have mentioned a million times blink only at 1/4 power, which is dumb. not enough during the day IMO ( although plenty at dusk ).

the NiteRider blinks at full power, and offers 3 blink modes - so it is a nice daytime blinky ( it is billed as daytime blinky too ) but NR beam is not a road beam, it is a pure trail beam. lupine is more of a road beam - narrower, but with more throw.

have you tried to blink your lupine ? how does it work ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I know they have the function but have never used it, If you don't get a response before I get home tonight I will suss it out and let you know. about 10hrs from now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quiggs1974 View Post
    I know they have the function but have never used it, If you don't get a response before I get home tonight I will suss it out and let you know. about 10hrs from now.
    i'm not in a hurry

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can't help you with Lupine information but since you seemed so pleased with the Gemini Olympia's beam pattern in the tunnel test I thought I'd mention that it's flash mode is programmable from 10-100% in 10% increments. As long as it has enough power for you it should provide a less expensive solution to what your looking for.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I can't help you with Lupine information but since you seemed so pleased with the Gemini Olympia's beam pattern in the tunnel test I thought I'd mention that it's flash mode is programmable from 10-100% in 10% increments. As long as it has enough power for you it should provide a less expensive solution to what your looking for.
    Mole
    i would consider it ! thanks for the heads up !

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    AFAIK only the newer models of lupine have a blinky mode. Additional to an SOS/alpine SOS blinky mode which is present also in older models. The blinky mode is described as "RVLR" and mentioned in the manuals which are downloadable on their site (also for the older models). In the manual for the newest Betty R the blinky mode is described as "slow". It's not described at what wattage level it runs, but I highly doubt it will run at the highest possible setting.
    Anyway, IMO it is a complete overkill to consider a lupine just for their blinky mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHnuschti View Post
    IMO it is a complete overkill to consider a lupine just for their blinky mode.
    of course. no, i would consider it as both a light and a blinky. light at night, blinky during the day.

mtbr member
    If you're just looking for a bright daytime blinkie the SSX2's are pretty bright ( ~ 1000 lm ). The flash operates by push to hold. They're small, simple to operate and can be bought for a song. Hook it up to a good two cell and it should run about 5hrs on flash.

I know you like the brand name stuff but WTH I thought I'd still throw it out there. Doing any winter riding up there in Big Apple land?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Doing any winter riding up there in Big Apple land?
    no.

don't want my eyes getting cold.

i would consider some sort of a goggle type deal but i have never seen anybody wearing that and i already look like a clown. plus, i can't imagine how they would not fog up ?

i'm not giving up entirely. maybe i will figure something out by next year, but for this year i won't have a solution in time.

i wouldn't mind something like this:

but how do i mount the lights on it ? my light setup was designed for my helmet which was loaded with vents ...

of course riding during the day only in winter would be better than not riding at all in winter, but it's hard to take such a step without any experience - without even seeing anybody ride this way - know what i'm saying ?

is there a discussion of winter riding going on somewhere on the forum right now ? i would like to read it ...

mtbr member
    I hear ya. To cold for me to ride as well. Back in the day I used to have a clear visor that attached to my old Specialized helmet. Used to work real good at keeping the air off my eyes. Don't know what ever happened to it. The other option now is to buy a time trial helmet but would definitely look funky. Wish I could ride cause I need to test some lights. Getting all the rain we did last night didn't help. Today we might get the first snow of he season.