BBW
    mtbr member

New question here. Lupine Betty 1850 Vs 2600

Has anyone seen the difference or has any link between the 1850 with 22 degree lens Vs the 2600 (obviously 26 degrees)
    Curious about the spread and intensity difference
    Daylight saving started!!!!!!!! yahoooooooo!!!!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    I want to know also, so I can send my Betty in to get hacked up into a 2600 lumen freak!
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

whs
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Has anyone seen the difference or has any link between the 1850 with 22 degree lens Vs the 2600 (obviously 26 degrees)
    Someone made lots of comparison pics recently, see the IBC forum:
    Mein Leuchtvergleich 2011 - MTB-News.de | IBC Mountainbike Forum

Started? Daylight saving time has ended... (unless you're in the southern hemisphere)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I only have the Wilma upgraded, so I'm trying to interpolate to the Betty (eg. same beam pattern, only brighter):
    - the old 1850 lens (22 degree) has a bright near-field illumination, that lights up everything in a ~5m circle. It also has a small but bright spot in the middle
    - the new type of lens doesn't really have spill. There is some light to the sides, but you won't be able to use it because the middle is so bright... there is too much contrast. BUT: it has a larger hotspot, that is a cone of light: it provides even illumination and has a fair amount of throw
    - the light cone starts about 1-2 meters (yards) in front of the wheel, which is not a problem. What is a problem, however, is that at the edge of the cone it is too bright, which can hurt your eye
    - what was surprising for me was that after the initial "break-in" period - when I just didn't understand what Lupine were doing for the last 2 years - I started to actually like the beam. It is still nowhere near the silkness and smoothness of the original 18 degree Wilma lens, but at last it is useable on the handlebar. And because of the larger hotspot it is not as sensitive to turning the handlebar when climbing, etc. You still need a helmet light though...

Summary: if you often climb slow technical stuff (eg. rock gardens) where you need to see around you, you'd be better off with the old lens. For general riding I think the new lens make sense (and I was comparing the Wilma to the Betty, so I'm sure brightness will be increased by a large amount - maybe too much?).

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Started? Daylight saving time has ended... (unless you're in the southern hemisphere)
    My bad
    Thanks for the link!!! I'm going to check it now
    BBW. MS, RD

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok View Post
    I only have the Wilma upgraded, so I'm trying to interpolate to the Betty (eg. same beam pattern, only brighter):
    - the old 1850 lens (22 degree) has a bright near-field illumination, that lights up everything in a ~5m circle. It also has a small but bright spot in the middle
    - the new type of lens doesn't really have spill. There is some light to the sides, but you won't be able to use it because the middle is so bright... there is too much contrast. BUT: it has a larger hotspot, that is a cone of light: it provides even illumination and has a fair amount of throw
    - the light cone starts about 1-2 meters (yards) in front of the wheel, which is not a problem. What is a problem, however, is that at the edge of the cone it is too bright, which can hurt your eye
    - what was surprising for me was that after the initial "break-in" period - when I just didn't understand what Lupine were doing for the last 2 years - I started to actually like the beam. It is still nowhere near the silkness and smoothness of the original 18 degree Wilma lens, but at last it is useable on the handlebar. And because of the larger hotspot it is not as sensitive to turning the handlebar when climbing, etc. You still need a helmet light though...

Summary: if you often climb slow technical stuff (eg. rock gardens) where you need to see around you, you'd be better off with the old lens. For general riding I think the new lens make sense (and I was comparing the Wilma to the Betty, so I'm sure brightness will be increased by a large amount - maybe too much?).
    Thanks Radirpok! I see what you mean with the link that WHS provided. Not sure how I feel about it; I'm happy with the Betty and Wilma for now with XPGs
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback_X6 View Post
    I want to know also, so I can send my Betty in to get hacked up into a 2600 lumen freak!
    No need to send it in thhe kits are DIY I did mine myself tool me 10 minutes. Although I dont think you can by a 2600 upgrade. 2200 26 degree is what I went for and its awesome!

This one

Betty Upgrade Kit 2200 Lumens 26 - Artikeldetailansicht - Lupine Webshop

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomx0_1 View Post
    No need to send it in thhe kits are DIY I did mine myself tool me 10 minutes. Although I dont think you can by a 2600 upgrade. 2200 26 degree is what I went for and its awesome!
    He probably want to upgrade internals too
    Phantom did you go from the 1850 Betty or the 1750?
    Did you have the 22 degree lens?
    Do you see a noticeable increase in output?
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I went from the 1750 red led board which was a very focused beam 16 degree i think to the 26 degree 2200 lumens and I love it. It floodlights the trail with a good throw as well. I recommend the 26 degree and if you ride XC for me it's the best beam pattern.

Also a massive difference in output!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I want the driver upgrade also.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, I want the driver upgrade also.
    It was previously reported that the driver upgrade would cost 240 euro plus shipping ($300 plus)... and I'm presuming this is on top of the led board upgrade.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't see how it would be cost effective for anybody to upgrade the board. You could buy a new lighthead with 2600 lumens for full retail and sell your old lighthead for a couple hundred and still come out ahead.

mtbr member
    They said it would be like 240 euro for the whole thing.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They said it would be like 240 euro for the whole thing.
    That would be great... although the light still needs to go back to Germany for the upgrade.

But I hope this works for you!

I'm going to take the easy way out and just do the led upgrade and stop at 2100 lumens (although the full 2600 sure would be nice).

mtbr member

Smile

Well, I ordered a Betty 12 26 And I can say since I have a 22 Betty to compare along side there is a big difference between the two. The new light is crazy wide compared to the 22 It's like running a narrow lens Wilma next to a 22 Betty. There also isn't so much as a hotspot in the beam as it is just very bright across the entire front. It's really like having portable daylight with you! It doesn't have the same range as the 22 Betty, but it isn't too far off. The color is different also, the 22 Betty is cooler/blueish looking compared to the 26 which is more a warmer/purpleish look. That's my quick review, if you want to know anything else about the two let me know
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6