Thread: Lumintrek??

BIGME

Lumintrek??

I really did search the forums before posting this, but I am not finding much.

Does anyone have any experience with the lumintrek brand? I wish I would have checked out the booth while i was at sea otter, a little late now

Trying to figure if I should pull the trigger with 2 of these, or 2 Magic Shines. look to be the same lumen rating and around the same price

New to Lights but not riding. Any info is appreciated.

thanks.
    I might have amnesia, but at least I don't have amnesia!

LightJunction.com
    We carry both LuminTrek and MagicShine, so I've tried out both brands. Both brands are of similar quality, but the LuminTrek lights include helmet straps and extension cables in the box at no extra charge...which is nice if you're gonna mount the light to your helmet. They also do all their design, testing and quality control in NC. So if something should go wrong, they're much easier to get in touch with. Just my .02.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

informant
    Thanks for checking us out, BIGME. Hate we missed you at Sea Otter, but I'm happy to answer any questions on here. I can get you some beam shots as soon as the sun sets for comparison if that would help.

-Greg
    Quality bike lights for after-dark trail adventurers.
    www.LuminTrek.com

BIGME
    @ Light Junction, the info on NC is good stuff. Providing the warranty issue stuff I have seen on MS, that was pretty good .02 worth

@Lumintrek, Any beam shots would be appreciated. I have used a friends light a few times, and it was MS, but I am not sure how that correlates to the beam testing i have seen in the forums, all i know was that I could ride at night and didn't die on the trail, so it seemed like a big plus.

If either of you could tell me what are the run times on the 1000 and 1600 models are it would be appreciated. Trying to decide on if I should get 2 1000's or the combo above. I will likely be riding by myself (like i do 90% of the time, so I tend to side with the CYA mentality)

Thank you both for the replies.

mtbr member
    I checked out Lumintrek at SO and I must say I was pretty impressed with the size of their new 2000 lumin model. Don't remember the model. The price quoted was $225 but, I'd be more interested in a comparison between the MS MJ880 and Lumintrek for beam patterns and run times. It did look like the Lumintrek had only a 4.4Ah battery whereas the larger MS battery was a 6.6Ah.

informant
    @BIGME I hijacked the warehouse and convinced the shipping folks to work in the dark, so I'll get you some beam shots in a few.

@wakejunky thanks for checking us out. The 2000 lumen model is called the TwinBeam 2000. Still working on the details before we release it, but we're looking at the $225 mark. The battery we had at Sea Otter is actually the battery from our TB-1000, so we might end up changing that if we're not happy with the burn time/output.
    www.LuminTrek.com

informant
    Here are the beam shots of the TB-1000 and TB-1600 (with clear lens). Beam shots were taken from 5ft and 20ft. The first two images are of the TB-1000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lumintrek??-tb-1000.jpg  

Lumintrek??-tb-1000.2.jpg  

Lumintrek??-tb-1600.jpg  

Lumintrek??-tb-1600.2.jpg  

www.LuminTrek.com

informant
    Run time: TB-1000 gets 3.5 hours on High, TB-1600 gets 2.5 hours on High. They both use 4-cell Li-ion batteries. Each light has high, medium, low, and flash (just in case). For my personal setup, I use the TB-1000 on my helmet on medium and the TB-1600 with the diffuser lens on my bars on medium. This gives me the ideal combination of throw and area light, and I can get a few uses out of them before needing to recharge.
    www.LuminTrek.com

mtbr member
    Liking the look of the 1000/1600 combo, found this shot of teh 2000 and 3000 on bikeradar from SO

informant
    Man, my handwriting on that label is terrible. Thanks for finding the photo though, socal_jack
    www.LuminTrek.com

informant
    The TB-1000 and TB-1600 were the first two models we introduced, so we designed them to hit both ends of the spectrum. From there, we've been working on filling in the gaps in between. I've found that setup to be the ideal combo when paired together. The TB-1000 has a tight beam for maximum throw and the TB-1600 has a wide beam for more evenly-distributed light closer to the rider.
    www.LuminTrek.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Will the Twinbeam 2000 be fully operable without the extension cable? Does it use the same o-ring mount as your current lights?

informant
    Yeah. The pressure switch on the TwinBeam is detachable. There's also a button on top of the light that allows you to operate the light. The mounting system on the TwinBeam is different than our other lights too. It uses the same style mount as many of the CatEye products (Product categories | CATEYE). It's a more secure mount, but it's not compatible with helmet mounting as a result.
    www.LuminTrek.com

BIGME
    Just purchased the lumintrek combo of the 1000 and 1600 from Light Junction. I was to much of a cheap @$$ to pay for the expidited shipping, so now i will wait inpatiently like my kids at Christmas.

informant
    Right on. That's been my ideal setup for east coast singletrack. FWIW you can use either battery for either light, or you can combine them with a Y-cable if you don't want to deal with the extra weight. Enjoy the lights!

-Greg
    www.LuminTrek.com

BIGME
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminTrek View Post
    Right on. That's been my ideal setup for east coast singletrack. FWIW you can use either battery for either light, or you can combine them with a Y-cable if you don't want to deal with the extra weight. Enjoy the lights!

-Greg
    Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like there are some useful options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am very interested in the TB3000. Can you please let me know what is the actual out put of TB3000?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a TB 1000. I have used the light around 60+ morning commutes so far. It's a very bright and not too pricy (~$100) light. It has a good battery life (3.5 hours @ 1000 lumens) and two lower power settings, 580 and 260 lumens, for even longer battery life.

It has two drawbacks though; one, the funky o-ring handlebar attachment. I don't like it. The light rotates during normal riding which is not good. I use it on the road, so I can imagine that trail riding with it would be less than ideal. A better clamping mechanism is definitely in order. The secondary shortcoming is it lacks the ability to rotate the light head, so the beam can't be aimed horizontally. It doesn't work too well on my sloped-top On-One Mary handlebar (I know I'm selfish that way, wanting to use it on all of my bikes, not just the straight-bared ones!)

Besides the clamping and rotation problems, this is a pretty good light. It is very bright headlight and reasonabley priced.
    Last edited by b3ksmith; 11-05-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off