mtbr member

Lost every rear tail light ever owned

None of my lights stay put on either my fat tire bikes or my cyclocross rigs. Can anyone recommend a rear light that will keep me safe and mounts easily? I need to transfer between my rigs easily. At this point cost is not an issue becuase what I spent losing rear lights wont compare. Thanks

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Knog Gekko has never fallen off my seatpost in a year's worth of MTB riding. Same thing with a Skink if you want 4 LED's instead of 3. Yes, not the brightest out there (but reasonably bright) but they stay put.

What do you want it for? Riding on the road while on your way to the trail? If so, get a PBSF or NR Cherry Bomb, a couple of extra mounts and just take it off when you hit the dirt.

mtbr member
    Thanks KOTH. I see the CherryBomb, but not sure what the PBSF stand for?

Church of the Wheel
    PBSF = Planet Bike SuperFlash

Check out the Light & Motion VIS 180. It is the brightest self-contained tail-light available, easily outclasses the SuperFlash and the Cherry Bomb, and mounts very securely without tools. It's expensive at $90-$100, but you said price isn't an issue, and in this case it costs more because it's significantly more advanced than your typical tail-lights.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for answering the PBSF question mtb143.

The Knog lights are silicone and wrap around the seatpost. They fit very snug and are easy to take on and off. If you keep your rear blinkie on while on the trails (which I do), the Knogs are great because they have different flash patterns, solid on, and aren't too obnoxious if someone is riding behind you. The SuperFlash and Cherry Bomb would definitely tick someone riding behind you off.

One guy I ride with aims his PBSF down when on the trails, this way he can still be spotted by the group but not blind us all.

Its got what plants crave
    I've had great luck with the Knog blinkies. They're making one that's a full one watt LED now which looks sweet, and their mounting system is ingeniously simple and if it hasn't fallen off of my MTB I doubt it'll fall off of yours either.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lowpsihighspeed
    None of my lights stay put on either my fat tire bikes or my cyclocross rigs. Can anyone recommend a rear light that will keep me safe and mounts easily? I need to transfer between my rigs easily. At this point cost is not an issue becuase what I spent losing rear lights wont compare. Thanks
    What lights have you tried?

I have not lost a superflash and the streets of baltimore are very rough! If I were worried about it falling off I would eschew switching, buy several superflash stealths and add a layer of clear tape or an elastic band to help secure it

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    dont waste your money on knog... you can get brighter better flashing silicone lights from deal extreme for 1/3 the price. <---- that coming from someone who wasted 30 dollars on 3 frog strobe lights =(

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    PBSF = Planet Bike SuperFlash

Check out the Light & Motion VIS 180. It is the brightest self-contained tail-light available,
    ...other than the DiNotte 300R, at roughly 8-10x the output

As for the original topic, the SuperFlash plus an O-ring to keep its retention tab held down would be pretty hard to lose, and you can get more mounts for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ^^^ SuperFlash is a great light, inexpensive and bright. I discovered a lot of the old Planet Bike lights I had laying around in the junk box use the same mount, so now I can switch the two I have between 4 different bikes. Very secure lockdown mech, never lost one. I usually run mine halfway down the seatstays, non-drive side if running only one light.

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    ...other than the DiNotte 300R, at roughly 8-10x the output .
    I thought the Dinotte uses an external battery, thus not "self contained"...
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGravey
    dont waste your money on knog... you can get brighter better flashing silicone lights from deal extreme for 1/3 the price. <---- that coming from someone who wasted 30 dollars on 3 frog strobe lights =(

You shoulda bought a Knog Boomer, it's a full watt, similar to the Planet Bike Superflash everyone loves so much. As far as I know there is no silicone DX alternative that's a full watt.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

bi-winning
    Another vote for Knog.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by betweenrides
    ^^^ SuperFlash is a great light, inexpensive and bright. I discovered a lot of the old Planet Bike lights I had laying around in the junk box use the same mount, so now I can switch the two I have between 4 different bikes. Very secure lockdown mech, never lost one. I usually run mine halfway down the seatstays, non-drive side if running only one light.
    I have 6 PBSF on various bikes and never lost one. What I have done is put a zip tie around the unit and mount. When I need to change batteries, which can be 4 months or so later, I snip it off.
    If you want an easier mothod, then snip a piece of inner tube a bout 1/4" wide and stretch it around, this does the same thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yup. I have 5 PBSF's. I have lost one in the past though, but then it was clipped to a strap on my CamelBak, not attached to the mount. I have never lost any of the ones that were in the PB mount. I run with 2 for my commuting - 1 attached to the seatpost using the mount, and set for flashing, and the other clipped to the CamelBak and set on solid. The other 2 are mounted on my son's and my wife's bikes. I also have a 5th as a spare.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had good luck with my BLACKBURN MARS 1.0, actually just ordered a second one for another bike. It has a locking system on the mount where you can remove the light and clip it on something else.

mtbr member
    I've lost all the little 'clippie' type lights, PB, Blackburn, a Performance brand one... The little clip breaks, the light goes out to sea down the storm drain- and I find I rode home in the dark without a rear light . My Mars lasted all of one week. No more clip-on lights for me. So I bought the Sefras rubbery wrap around lights. They lasted longer, about six months, before the rubber broke. Now I use a Magicshine rear light (with a battery I bought from All-Batt) and a Y cable so it runs my front MS also. It's brighter than those clip craps, and I mount it via a bolt through my rack, with lock washers. I then coated the nut and washers with plasticdip and it has yet to come lose.

However, that new Dinotte 300R looks like it might just replace that MS light (brighter and self contained). After spending maybe 90 bucks on lights that are now swimming with the fishies, it really is not too expensive if it stays put and is really visible.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They have one now, I think the 140? that is self contained.

mtbr member
    I have the Mars 2 and 4, they are both difficult to remove from the seatbag loop, can't imagine them falling off by accident.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The 300R is self-contained. It charges from a USB port.

At $200, I certainly HOPE it doesn't fall off

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you dont want to lose it I recommend a planet bike spok. The velcro strap that holds it on is much more secure than the rubber strap attachment on other "mini" tail lights so it doesn't stretch/snap after a while. I never bother to take mine off my xc bike so its done hundreds of night rides, DH runs, everything!
    Only just enough light to feel safe on the road, much more light than riding home without a light!

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3043.html

Life on a Sandbar
    ...and another vote for Knog in the front, and Planet Bike in the rear.