mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Looking for a solid helmet light

I'm looking for a solid helmet light for trail riding in the AZ deserts. Looking at the Imjin 800:
    1. anyone have this light that could give me real world feedback on it?
    2. Any suggestions for a better bang for the buck.

Imjin 800 Bike Light - Light & Motion

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It's hard to go wrong with Light and Motion. I have an ARC lamp from them that still works.

The other light that might be worth looking at is the Glowworm X1 with the neutral white conversion from Action LED. It's a little less expensive and if the quality of the Glowworm XS that I have been using for the last year is any indicator it should be very nice.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmuchacho View Post
    I'm looking for a solid helmet light for trail riding in the AZ deserts. Looking at the Imjin 800:
    I ride trails in AZ too and Ituo XP3 is the best helmet light I've ever used or seen (I own 25+ lights). L&M lights are good quality but premium priced for what you get. The Ituo XP3 will have 3x the power of the light you mentioned, equal runtime from the stock premium quality battery (Panasonic cells) and costs no more. Quality of the light is equal to L&M (I do hate the bar mount for both lights) plus the XP3 has numerous additional features (programmable mode intensity levels, remote switch, linear thermal protection, changeable optics to alter beam pattern if desired). Best bang for the buck is pretty obvious.

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...c-battery-pack

Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have the L&M Stella 500 (which the Imjin replaced) and love it. High quality light, but has a pretty focused beam, which I believe the Imjin has as well. The size of the Stella (Imjin is even smaller) is what makes it great for your helmet! Best $70 I've spent mountain biking
    '16 Kona Honzo AL/DL

mtbr member
    I'm an unabashed L&M fan. Guangdong Province lights don't interest me in the least. I've never owned one and never will. Extra switches, indicators and weight are all problematic.

Don't fall for the more is better trap. The lumen race can't be won and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. The right light is far more important than the most light.

The Imjin is a great value from a great company. Does the Guangdong Province Special come with a lifetime warranty? Is it built to FL-1 standards? L&M's Enhanced Experience Guarantee: "We built it here in California and will replace, repair or upgrade it for the life of the product."

Just something to think about...
    Rules to live by...

1. Never settle more for less.
    2. You pay what you get for.
    3. Never make the same mistake once.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    L&M makes good lights but Here's some key points on that though:

L&M warranty is only 2 yrs
    Only American assembled, not America made.

No LED lighting systems can carry a "Made In the USA" sticker legally anymore sadly. Not enough of the components needed are available from US manufacturers. The closest to actually American Made is Scar and his Amoeba Lights.

Ituo lights are warrantied, repaired and serviced all in northwestern Illinois. Gloworm and Lupine both have US locations as well. And I think there are others.

I am curious, your profile says you ride specialized. So nothing about your bike is American made unless you bought what parts are available to replace stock components. Wouldn't the "buy American" mean buy an American made bike (well frame)? I get the sentiment, come from a Union household. But reality is that you just can't buy everything american made anymore.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll ask how long your rides will be??? A pair of all in ones has worked well for most of my night riding even though I have a better system.

I have a nice Dinotte system and can say nothing but good but a bunch of my riding posse also has the small Bontrager all in one lights that work with GoPro mounts. They've been so nice if only for convenience that I rarely take the time to use the Dinotte anymore. Others I know who got these little Bontrager ion series say the same.

Our similar type Niterider might be a little nicer but it's bigger and not the GoPro compatible mount.

I could be out many hours with the remote battery Dinotte but a pair of the Bontragers is grab and go for a few hours of riding. Two I know use those Bontragers as backup or spares if we use our other setups.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    I found this link doing a little research on the Imjin since I know little about this light.

Review: Light & Motion Imjin 800 | road.cc

After looking at this review I definitely would look else where for a helmet light. The Imjin was totally outclassed by the new Gemini Xera (similar beam pattern, just more power everywhere and about half the Imjin's price @ Action-LED-Lights) which I consider appropriate for bar use only because of the beam pattern/lack of throw. The Ituo XP3 I mentioned in my last post was just an example of what you can get for the Imjin's price. While I consider the XP3 the "best bang for the buck" light that Ituo makes, they also have a smaller XP2 that would save you some money and still give you twice the light output of the Imjin. Gloworm (available @ Action-LED-Lights) also makes very nice lights that would better suit your needs and definitely give you a lot more for your money.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I dissected a dead L&M Urban 700. Fairly well made, but really nothing to get excited about. I'd say on a par with the higher end Chinese lights but better than the cheapo Chinese lights .

I was able to trace through the power side of the driver and not find anything wrong so it seems like trouble on the MCU as there appeared to be no signal to the base of the FET. Spent too much time on an $80 light so in the bin it went.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

turtles make me hot
    I have an Exposure Diablo for my helmet. Nice light. Pricey. The self contained battery is a nice feature.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmuchacho View Post

(
    Imjin 800 Bike Light - Light & Motion
    Along with MrMole and RAKC I'm going to recommend the ITUO XP3 and here are the reasons; Very good bang for the buck. Lamp head is large enough to dissipate heat well ( which you will need ) for desert riding. Lamp head has thermal monitoring and is also programmable so you can program or use a mode that won't over heat the lamp head. Just because the lamp is able to supply more than 2K lumen doesn't mean you need to use 2K lumen. You use what you need or what will work best for your riding environment. The XP3 is not real heavy and works very well on the helmet using the ITUO helmet mount. Chinese made but quality workmanship and very good vendor support.

FWIW, not everything made in China is junk. I use the XP3 on the lid with all spot optics. It is my best helmet lamp to date. Like MrMole I own a ton of cheap Chinese lamps and ( like Mole ) only because it is a hobby just to see if I can get something cheap that is still decent. Plenty of less expensive lamps out there that will work. I tell people, "If you're going to try to buy cheap, buy at least ONE *reputable brand name lamp and then pick your poison with the second". Always ride with two lamps and you should be good to go. ( *ITUO, since it's inception, I would regard as "reputable". ) It's been my experience with the cheaper Chinese lamps that some of them work very well when used on the bars. If I were starting out new and buying two new lamps, the better one would be the one for the helmet.