mtbr member

Looking for light suggestions for commuting..

I got a Lumina 700 for my helmet and have a super cheap red blinking light for the seat post. I've put reflective strips all over my helmet and backpack. I have about $30-40 for any additional lighting and trying to get the best bang for my buck. Should I get another front facing/flashing light, a higher quality rear light, or maybe go cheaper and get both?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oh and the commute is only about 30 minutes each way so battery life isn't a huge concern as long as they won't die unexpectedly.

mtbr member
    Cygolight Hotshot is a nice rear light (self contained) . Or a magicshine 818.
    Action-LED-Lights — MJ-818 Bike Tail light

A duo clone for a few more $.
    Gemini Duo clones

mtbr member
    The light set up you have sounds fine. That Lumina is great!!

mtbr member
    I've had the tendancy to spend more for the rear light, but no less than equal quality. Ymmv due to your own road and traffic conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Based on my experience as both a biker and a driver, I would probably get a (relatively) cheap blinking front light. You already have a bright enough light to light up the road - a blinking front light (that's not obnoxiously bright) like a Planet Bike 1w or something makes you stand out as a biker and not just another light source.

mtbr member
    I am using an old MagicShine 808 with a red lens for a tail light. I use the built-in strobe function. It is super-visible during the day, and blindingly bright at night. I also use it as a loaner trail light with the clear lens. Flexibility you don't get with a dedicated tail light.
    You can probably find a similar clone for close to your budget.
    Looking for light suggestions for commuting..-img_0763.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    Based on my experience as both a biker and a driver, I would probably get a (relatively) cheap blinking front light. You already have a bright enough light to light up the road - a blinking front light (that's not obnoxiously bright) like a Planet Bike 1w or something makes you stand out as a biker and not just another light source.
    Adding to what Paul said above ^^^; I second the idea of finding a good small mini flasher for the front. Something like a Blackburn Flea or Performance Axiom should work fine and help you stand out a little better when being viewed from the front. A real "must have" if you are in a more urban setting.

Case in point: Just the other day I was sitting at a traffic light and noticed a line of traffic setting directly across from me. To the immediate right of the cars was a guy on a bike. I didn't notice him because he had a good bar light ( which he did ). I noticed him only because he had a front flasher going on his helmet. Otherwise he just blended in with the traffic around him. Front flashers set you apart and get you seen. They don't have to be overly bright, just bright enough to draw attention. In low light or full darkness the mini front flashers work very well.

Secondly, I would recommend not "cheaping out" too much on your rear light. Lots of good rear lights out there available at any LBS.