mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Looking for a light.

Going to dabble in riding to work try try to get fit and looking for some light. I will be riding on a bike trail and through some potentially sketchy areas. Looking for a nice bright light with a good field of vision. I am usually great at researching and finding good deals, but this is an are where i don't know what i am looking for or what is good. I have never owned a light or done any dark riding so I appreciate any help.
    I found this one for a pretty good price but not sure if it will be very bright:
    Blackburn System X4 Single Beam Luxeon LED Bike Light at Price Point

Looking to spend under $100

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    85 Lumen from the Luxeon LED is probably not, what you are looking for. Try reading some of the other threads in the Lights and Night Riding forum, and I am sure that you will find some nice alternatives.

mtbr member
    That light was also discontinued years ago, a rip-off compared to the stuff that's around now. Checkout the MTBR 2013 light shootout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I looked at the Shootout and did some reasearch. I liked 2 in my price range, the Lumintrek Trailblazer 1600 and Magicshine mj-872. On the backyard beam shots the Magicshine looked noticeably brighter, but the pictures of the lights shining down the underpass the Lumintrek looked noticeably better than the Magicshine. Also noticed that the Lumintrek has a more blueish light where the Magicshine has a warmer tone. Anyone have any experience with these or any other advise? Thanks!
    Tunnel/underpass beam shots
    2013 Bike Lights Shootout – Mtbr Tunnel Beam Patterns | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Dec 2009