mtbr member
    Dec 2013

looking for a decent lights for night mountain bike riding?

I want to get into night riding. I know this maybe a stupid question what is a decent set of lights to ride mountain biking? I assume you need ones for bars and helmet as well? Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Magically Delicious
    Well thatís a question that will generate a plethora of responses. Everyone has an opinion and you might end up more confused than you were before you asked.

Given enough disposable income, the sky is the limit on your light adventure purchases. Assuming that you can afford to acquire two sets, one on the bars and one for the helmet is certainly the way to go. Buy as much light as you can afford.

Now, to refine your question, itís best understand what type of night riding that you plan to do. If you're predominately on flatter trail that doesnít afford too much topography or terrain changes, you might be able to get away with less lighting horsepower. On the other hand, if you are expecting to blitz down some long descending trails that might place you on the periphery of your comfort level, then consider nothing short of daylight blazing lights so as to NOT outride your light sphere.

Itís only money.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm going to throw out 3 suggestions:

First is the cheapest suggestion to give night riding a try. 2x Magicshine 808's with a helmet mount and wide angle lens. Action-LED-Lights ? Magicshine MJ-808-L2, 4 Mode Bike Light with CREE XM-L2 led. If you like night riding you can upgrade later and sell the starters or keep them as loaners. I don't suggest clones unless you like electronics and trial and error.

2nd would be Gloworm products. Getting the X1 for the helmet and X2 for the bars, or the X2 for the helmet and XS for the bars. This will be spendy. You're also better off if you buy the light head alone and buy a charger and battery (MJ-6030H) separate if you buy an X1 or X2. If you get the XS you will probably want the stock Gloworm battery.

3rd is to contact a user here named Scar, he makes Amoeba lights buy hand custom built to order.

Good luck. Just buy something and get out there, then worry about the vast array of options when you realize what your needs are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. It will mostly be a lot of ups and downs not on level ground. Let check out those suggestions derekbob. who sells gloworm products?

mtbr member
    May 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredmx View Post
    thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. It will mostly be a lot of ups and downs not on level ground. Let check out those suggestions derekbob. who sells gloworm products?
    Action-LED is PHENOMENAL. Best customer-service one can hope for.

Also, if you have $370 laying around, just buy the Gloworm XS (configure it with 3 spot lenses - it comes standard with SFS). You won't need anything else, I can assure you. Unless your vision isn't what it's supposed to be ;-)

I would stay away from the cheap Chinese clones (the ones you get on eBay and Amazon for $30) because of dependability and batteries (don't hold a charge well, don't last long, more likely than other batteries to start fires, etc.). I would even stay away from the 'expensive' Chinese brands as far as batteries goes. Their energy density is pretty bad. The actual lights are fine (although beam pattern and output is not going to be as good as the Western manufacturers IMO) but if you have the money, buy yourself a quality product.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the nightrider brand has treated me pretty good. but I am not a light geek.

mtbr member
    Money isn't an issue look at lupine products.

The gloworm xS is a killer light.

The gloworm x2 and x1 should be a killer set up.

There are several lights out there that will meet your needs.

Two Tired
    Find some other people in your area and ask if you can go with them and borrow some lights. This will give you a bit of a taste for night riding and may indicate some factors that you really like or dislike. The others are usually glad to talk about equipment, so you will benefit from their experience too. They may also show you some of the better trails to ride at night.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks to everyone for there suggestions I think I am going to buy gloworm x1 and x2. Someone said buy the battery and charger separate why is that?

mtbr member
    Sure does.

I have two 6030h and they work awesome. I use them with my gloworm and gemini lights.

mtbr member
    5000 Lumens 2X CREE XM L U2 LED Cycling Bike Bicycle Light Headlamp Headlight | eBay

I bought one of these. I figured for under $30.00, it was worth a look-see and I was surprised on how well this worked. At the brightest setting, its blinding and as bright as a car's HID headlight, but in a much smaller package. Its easy to set up and the battery life is pretty good. At the low setting, which is plenty bright and on a full battery, it took three rides (each around 1.5 hours) for it to die out. Of course, I don't expect that to continue as the life as the battery dwindles, but its still pretty good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was looking at the Light Shoot Out and it looks like the 808 give you some good bang for the bucks. Slim