mtbr member
    Oct 2008

looking to buy my 1st light

Hi,
    I am looking into getting a light, but i have no idea which ones are any good? Hopefully some one can give me some advice on a couple of questions i have. Rather then just say i have x amount of dollars to spend, what light would you buy. I would prefer to learn a little bit about them and then decide which one would fit my needs. Anyways here goes.
    1) what s the difference between HId and LED? Is one superior to the other?
    2) Do i need 2 lights, one on the handle bar and one for my helmet?
    Please fill me in with any other information that i am missing.
    Thanks Ben

mtbr member
    I think that the cygolite mitycross is a great value, and excelent light. Definatly go LED, they have better burn times, much longer bulb life, and they are nearly as bright as HID. I can get by with the mitycross and a little $30 petzl head light without a problem.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cygolite is the best bang for the buck, the new 600 lumen Tri' brings daylite to the night.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The new LEDs are just as bright as the HIDs now, replacement bulbs for LEDs are 75% cheaper with longer life expectantcy. After running niterider for years I'm now a big fan of Cygolites, super light weight, bright and bullit proof. Compare the lumens (brightness) and burn time, if you ride for 1-2 hours no need for a 5 hour burn time light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredlocks
    Cygolite is the best bang for the buck, the new 600 lumen Tri' brings daylite to the night.

Would also agree. Just picked up a Cygolite TridenX Li-Ion Xtra from Modern Bikes for a great price. Much brighter than my Cygolite MityCross 350 that I have as well which now will become my helmet light. But the MityCross is a great light all by itself and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it over the Niterider Mi-Newt X2 Dual which I had before the MityCross.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    +2 for the Cygolites, especially the TridenX. Great light. You can find them for around $220-240 now. I was very impressed when I received it and started using it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atvkilla
    +2 for the Cygolites, especially the TridenX. Great light. You can find them for around $220-240 now. I was very impressed when I received it and started using it.
    And spare batteries and replacement parts are much less expensive than Niterider. When I asked Niterider for a new battery or charger for my Dual Beam halogen, they wanted a price that cost more than a new system! Same with my Trail Rat battery. A spare TridenX battery only costs about $60. So I switched over from being a Niterider user of over ten years to Cygolite and haven't looked back. Combined, the two Cygolite systems I have weigh almost half as my Niterider Trail Rat alone. Lighting systems have come a long way in ten years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Dinotte Lights

I would strongly recommend the Dinotte lights. The lights are great, the CS is even better.

Last year I picked up Dinotte 600/200 light combo. This year I wanted a little more light on the helmet so I picked up the 400 light (light-engine only as I already had sufficient batteries). I continue to use the 200 as a backup and on my commuter bike.

After a couple of rides running the 600 on the bars and the 400 on the helmet, I was stoked again for the night rides. Unfortunately my batteries were not providing the normal run time, which is very good as well.

I contact Rob at Dinotte, who adivsed to send my gear back to be tested. The version of charger I had was an older one that had since been updated, so I received a new charger, not certain of what happened on the 4cell batteries but I received new ones. This was all taken care of in about 1 1/2 weeks door to door, which is amazing as I am in Canada and the lights had to run through customs in both directions. The gear was only at Dinotte for just over 1 day and then out again.

I have used the 600 on my DH helment without noticing it, but you do notice it a little on XC helmets. The 400 on the other hand, you don't feel it at all on an XC lid, and it has almost as good of light output as the 600.

If I was to buy lights right now it would be a 800/400 combo, for the price, quality of lights and knowledge that the products are backed by excellent customer service, should you ever need it, makes it hard to beat.

NOTE: I am not affiated with Dinotte I any way other that owning a set of their lights and being a happy customer.

Cheers
    J
    Last edited by rideitall; 02-19-2009 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Cygolite

So would you all recommend the Cygolite Trion 600 for a multi-day race? Like the CTR? I would probably need to bring along a replacement battery and try and charge one along the way? And could I run it on the low setting and with another headlamp have enough light for not too fast riding?

Is the battery life true to what they say?

Is anyone mounting it on their helmet?

Thanks!

Stanley

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Exposure Maxx D and Joystick combo, hands down. No wires, no battery packs, 3 hour run time on the max setting and light weight. The bike mount is easy to attach the light with and take off. The Joystick helmet mount is the best in the business.

Contact James or Steve at IBEX Sport's if you are in the U.S. and they can get you hooked up. They were great with me!

mtbr member
    Im just wondering, how much lumens do you guys recomend for the trails? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wonder when Dinotte is going to jump into the 1000+ lumen light set. I'm betting we see that pretty soon.

J.