Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    A front flash is illegal in Sweden, and AFAIK in the rest of Europe too.
    Hi there, fellow Swede
    I have discussed this at length with quite a few law enforcement officers. Most don't care, they're just happy you have lights at all. Nevertheless, I know that the law is enforced from time to time. A couple of times a year there are crack-downs in some cycle-crowded (i.e. university) towns and a blinkie in front will earn you a ticket.
    One officer gave me the simplest solution: "Put the blinkie on your helmet. It's not allowed on your bike, but there's no law about what kind of lights you can have on your person."

Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    DiNotte has a couple flashing modes on their headlights and taillights that work that way (single-flash and 5-flash)...
    I have Dinottes both front and rear on my commuter. I can't ride with the front light flashing. It's much too powerful and the strobing just makes me dizzy. The rear, though, is running in the 5-flash mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ... The company "Lightweights" sells black tape that reflects "white" called stealth tape.
    They're undoubtedly reselling another company's tape, so if you want the black stealth tape, look on Ebay for 3M Scotchlite 680 black tape, $5 for 10 feet of 1/2" wide. Be aware that the reflectivity of black reflective tape is very low compared to the high-performance stuff... where silver Reflexite V82 or 3M Diamond Grade would score around 1000 for reflectivity, the "stealth" tape is down there at 30. Better than nothing, of course.
    I have the white stuff on most of my rims, but on my road racer I have the black variety.

The light gray stripe on the front-most wheel in the picture is completely black in ordinary light. mechBgon is quite right that it's not as effective as the white, but it's not all that bad. I had quite low expectations myself, but I found myself positively surprised. I think it works OK in real world situations, it is quite visible when you shine a light at it.

On the other two wheels - the winter wheels for a MTB - in addition to the white reflective stripes, I have placed a couple of reflective dots between the spokes. Not all around the wheel, just the four shown and three more on the opposite side. They make it really easy to tell if the wheels are rolling or not.

--
    Ragnar
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    ....They're undoubtedly reselling another company's tape, so if you want the black stealth tape, look on Ebay for 3M Scotchlite 680 black tape, $5 for 10 feet of 1/2" wide. Be aware that the reflectivity of black reflective tape is very low compared to the high-performance stuff...
    Thanks for that tip. If it's not as reflective as the silver I think I can live with that. At least I found out I can get 10ft. for about $7. That is a much better price. Strangely, if you want the pin stripe version ( 1/4 inch wide ) it cost more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you want to be seen at night while on the road, here is something that get you notice.

Set up is a b itch and so is the cost! But it looks cool!!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    here's another one.

Now if the driver doesn't see you he/she must be blind!!!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Blind...or texting...

YIKES.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have Dinottes both front and rear on my commuter. I can't ride with the front light flashing. It's much too powerful and the strobing just makes me dizzy. The rear, though, is running in the 5-flash mode.
    Understandable. I have a DiNotte 1200+ and when it's in flash mode, I can see the flash pattern on good-quality road signs from over 1 city block in overcast daylight My new commute takes me through the core of downtown, and due to the hazards of high-turnover parking and jaywalking pedestrians, I've begun using the DiNotte's flashing mode to get through the downtown segment of the morning commute (daylight).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky J View Post
    Blind...or texting...

YIKES.
    Wheel lights are really hard to miss. Hard not to see something that not not only emits light but is also going around in circles at a high rate of speed. Not that you really need wheel lights. Just having some good front and rear lights with a good 180° of visibility ( coupled with some reflective tape on the frame or wheels ) can work wonders. Still IMHO having a nice frog type ( or mini led ) flasher on the bars to supplement your main front light is paramount if riding in urban or heavy traffic. It doesn't have to be more than 40 lumen, just bright enough to be seen. Just turn it off if you have to sit at a light for a couple minutes.

mtbr member
    Duplicate Post.

mtbr member
    Understandable. I have a DiNotte 1200+ and when it's in flash mode, I can see the flash pattern on good-quality road signs from over 1 city block in overcast daylight My new commute takes me through the core of downtown, and due to the hazards of high-turnover parking and jaywalking pedestrians, I've begun using the DiNotte's flashing mode to get through the downtown segment of the morning commute (daylight).
    I have the 1200+ too. I chose it because I wanted a powerful, floody light. My commute is probably the exact opposite of yours, mostly one-lane gravel roads through the woods. My biggest concern is wildlife. It's absolutely teeming with elk (that's moose for you americans), deer and wild boar around here, so I want to be able to see whats at the side of the road.

--
    Ragnar
    Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 12-14-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Coleen C has a camera in the back. I have being thinking about putting a camera JIC I get hit and the person doesn't stop, at least I have some evidence. My biggest concern is getting hit and the car not stopping. That would live me SO bitter and angry.
    Any of you filming JIC?
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Coleen C has a camera in the back. I have being thinking about putting a camera JIC I get hit and the person doesn't stop, at least I have some evidence. My biggest concern is getting hit and the car not stopping. That would live me SO bitter and angry.
    Any of you filming JIC?
    I've thought about having a JIC video set-up but I hate having to carrying a lot of extra baggage that really doesn't have to do with cycling per say. Maybe there is a small camera that works with blue-tooth that I could use with my smart phone. Run time would likely be limited so I could only use it on the most dangerous of roads. Probably a good subject for another thread as this is all pretty much off topic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar.jensen View Post
    I have the 1200+ too. I chose it because I wanted a powerful, floody light. My commute is probably the exact opposite of yours, mostly one-lane gravel roads through the woods. My biggest concern is wildlife. It's absolutely teeming with elk (that's moose for you americans), deer and wild boar around here, so I want to be able to see whats at the side of the road.

--
    Ragnar
    Deer are a danger here too. My rural route takes me through a valley where I sometimes count more than 20 deer per night, and some of my hill-climbing routes involve descending in deer-infested areas. Two riders I know have collided with deer in the last year (one was hit from behind!) and both of them had broken bones and mangled bikes.

that's gonna leave a mark

What works even better for me than the 1200+, is a helmet light. Deers' eyes are reflective, and the helmet light is very close to my line of sight so the reflectons show up especially strongly. So I sweep my helmet light around and look for anything that's reflective and moving towards my line.

Drifting back onto the topic: from the front, a cyclist at a distance in the dark is mainly a disembodied light, or multiple disembodied lights. They might be blinking, they might be steady. But it's possible to be seen, yet not recognized for what you are... know what I'm saying? If there's time, I sometimes aim my helmet light down at my arms so the people poised to pull out into my path have a chance to "compute" what the disembodied lights signify.

A 1AAA keychain light dangling from my jacket zipper might do the job better than anything I've used so far, but a light that shines on the rider's legs can help give the viewer some context.

mtbr member
    Deer are a danger here too. My rural route takes me through a valley where I sometimes count more than 20 deer per night, and some of my hill-climbing routes involve descending in deer-infested areas. Two riders I know have collided with deer in the last year (one was hit from behind!) and both of them had broken bones and mangled bikes....

About deer and larger animals being a threat: Yep, I have deer to contend with too. A real danger if you're not using enough light while going down a fast hill. I agree a helmet light comes in real handy at times. The only time I use one on the road though is for downhills and busy intersections. I might just rethink that strategy though. A road with lots of woods bordering the sides of the road can hide a multitude of danger. I'm really glad that there are no moose where I live. Hitting or being hit by one of those could be the end of the line.

For me my basic wildlife threat comes from deer, fox, dogs, raccoons and lastly skunks. ( With deer being the most dangerous and more common threat. ) Dogs and fox while common usually move quickly and are easy to dodge. Raccoons and skunk on the other hand can be dangerous because they move slowly and seem not to recognize the danger of being in a road way. They are also small and dark colored making them hard to see.

...Drifting back onto the topic: from the front, a cyclist at a distance in the dark is mainly a disembodied light, or multiple disembodied lights. They might be blinking, they might be steady. But it's possible to be seen, yet not recognized for what you are... know what I'm saying? If there's time, I sometimes aim my helmet light down at my arms so the people poised to pull out into my path have a chance to "compute" what the disembodied lights signify.

A 1AAA keychain light dangling from my jacket zipper might do the job better than anything I've used so far, but a light that shines on the rider's legs can help give the viewer some context....
    Yes, I can agree with all of that. Particularly if the person doing the viewing is looking from the perspective of someone coming out of a side road or parking lot. Having lights on the wheels can really help when it comes to adding an additional frame of reference. Few people will view a light going around in a circle and not know its a wheel.

BBW
    mtbr member
    ok thanks!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Well, the main idea is it's got some active lighting that's visible from the side. You may have noticed that many headlights have the lens recessed into a bezel, and actually aren't visible from a side view... my other riding environment is main-drag city arterials where being merged into is a legitimate hazard, so side lighting is useful there.

They're undoubtedly reselling another company's tape, so if you want the black stealth tape, look on Ebay for 3M Scotchlite 680 black tape, $5 for 10 feet of 1/2" wide. Be aware that the reflectivity of black reflective tape is very low compared to the high-performance stuff... where silver Reflexite V82 or 3M Diamond Grade would score around 1000 for reflectivity, the "stealth" tape is down there at 30. Better than nothing, of course. Tangentially, avoid 3M Diamond Grade for frame use, because it's very thick and will try to peel itself off. And guess how I know that

My bike is silver already, so I'm lucky... silver Reflexite qualifies as "stealth" tape on my bike, it blends in great I would've done the rear triangle but I ran out.
    I've been trying to find white or silver Reflexite DOT-C2 but it is not easy to find the cheap ones (just a few stripes, not the whole roll) shipping to Portugal.
    I think i will go with the 3M 680 for now (the white one as my bike is mainly white).

If you have some good site shipping just a few stripes of better reflexive tape (doesn't need to be as good as Reflexite's really), to Portugal, please let me know ; otherwise, I will just get the 3M's 360 from eBay (1.99$ shipping)...

Thanks for sharing, once again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    I've been trying to find white or silver Reflexite DOT-C2 but it is not easy to find the cheap ones (just a few stripes, not the whole roll) shipping to Portugal.
    I think i will go with the 3M 680 for now (the white one as my bike is mainly white).

If you have some good site shipping just a few stripes of better reflexive tape (doesn't need to be as good as Reflexite's really), to Portugal, please let me know ; otherwise, I will just get the 3M's 360 from eBay (1.99$ shipping)...

Thanks for sharing, once again.
    I've bought Reflexite V82 from Night-Gear.com before, and they say they ship worldwide. They also don't have a minimum order. Here is their Reflexite section: Reflective Hot Dots and Tapes The V82 is the best version (highest reflectivity, longest lifespan). It is very thin, so it stays on cylindrical tubing without peeling itself off. I see they also have the SOLAS (safety of life at sea) version, but it's much thicker and might try to peel itself off.

This type of tape doesn't stretch, so it wrinkles if it's applied to a two-axis curve, such as a fender / mudguard. In that situation, I cut it into ~1cm strips and apply them individually.

mtbr member
    I was afraid you were going to say that. I did try to get it from them before too but althoughr they do ship it internationally, they charge 35$ for it. Yep. A 2$ piece of film costs 35$ to reach Portugal. I don't understand why they don't use USPS who charge only 1.99$ for this... A lot of online stores do this...

Thanks for that, anyway! Will search a bit tomorrow torrow or after Christmas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sometimes the UK Ebay site is a good place to get hold of Reflexite for EU citizens:
    reflexite | eBay

Also try searching for reflective tape, 3M tape or SOLAS tape.

mtbr member
    Thanks Infinity123, I always thought ebay.com had all of the articles from all the sellers.
    I found HI VIZ INTENSITY GRADE WHITE REFLECTIVE TAPE 25 X 300MM - 4 off | eBay but I don't think that is the original from reflexite as they don't state it anywhere.
    EDIT: The seller confirmed it is not.

SOLAS, as mechBgon said, is not that good for bike frames. I also read that elsewhere so I'm sticking up with Reflexite or 3M.

Thanks, once again!
    Last edited by PedroDank; 12-24-2012 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There´s also the more traditional stuff for bikes:
    Sicherheit, Zubehör

mtbr member
    I've bought Reflexite V82 from Night-Gear.com before, and they say they ship worldwide. They also don't have a minimum order. Here is their Reflexite section: Reflective Hot Dots and Tapes The V82 is the best version (highest reflectivity, longest lifespan). It is very thin, so it stays on cylindrical tubing without peeling itself off. I see they also have the SOLAS (safety of life at sea) version, but it's much thicker and might try to peel itself off.

This type of tape doesn't stretch, so it wrinkles if it's applied to a two-axis curve, such as a fender / mudguard. In that situation, I cut it into ~1cm strips and apply them individually.
    Thanks for those links Mech. I might have to try me some of this just to see how good it is.
    I've been thinking of trying to mount a small bit of red tape on the rear seat stays to add a larger rear profile. If this stuff is as bright as I think I'll be it won't take much. I just wish It would warm up enough to do some rides. Right now it is snowing outside. First snow of the season...just flurries. Looks like I might have a white Christmas...

Merry Christmas everyone....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123 View Post
    There´s also the more traditional stuff for bikes:
    Sicherheit, Zubehör
    Thanks for that site.

I took a look into 3M Scotchlite Reflektionsfolie weiss 1m x 25mm - Rolle and it seems to be too thick. Does it holds ok on bike? It is not as stealthy as the vinyl sheet...
    Anyway, bookmarked that website as it has nice shipping costs and great products. Buying that tape alone costs me 12€ for shipping it, but it seems that it is a fixed rate as I've seen it not going up when addind other products to the cart.

I'll probably get that one and some other things if that tape is ok.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
    That particular item is intended for clothes. That´s why it´s thick and flexible.

mtbr member
    Thanks, thats what I thought.
    I bought the 3M Scothlite white vinyl one from eBay (4$ with shipping costs). It is not plain white, but silver - hopefully it will look good on my mainly-white bike.
    Thanks for all the help and feedback. Will post pics once I get them.

mtbr member

Rear laser bike light: Mini review

I got one of these for Christmas as a stocking stuffer:

Quickie review....Takes up a lot of room on a seat post. The five led setup does a decent job of providing light as a rear blinkie light. Compares to other first generation 5-led set-ups. The led and lens setup does allow for more than 180° of visibility so that is one of it's better selling points.

The laser works and does what it is suppose to do but IMO
    ( even on laser flash ) the laser is really not that visible unless you are right on top of the cyclist. While it does look cool if you are close to the bike that is perhaps it's only redeeming value. Believe me, if you have one of these going and you have any number of the better rear led lights running between 1 and 2 watts, the better/brighter led lamps will draw all of the attention and do so at a much farther distance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast