Thread: Lights at REI

mtbr member

Lights at REI

Hmmm. My REI ship is about to come in (dividend). Been thinking about a light for a while, but the choices seem confusing. Still riding (every once in a while) with a 15 watt halogen. I've had a chance to borrow a buddy's HID and was blown away. Now it seems like LED is where it's at. So, REI has got:

CygoLite TridenX LED Li-Ion Bike Light - 600 Lumens $319. Seems like the best weight/light/price combo, but never heard of it.

Light & Motion Seca 700 Race LED Bike Light - $549. Probably more light than I need.

DiNotte 600L-LI-4C Headlight - $399. Seem nice, but keep hearing about the 400/200 combo, but not available at REI.

NiteRider TriNewt LED Bike Light - $429. 500 Lumens. Most "known" name to me, but seems so-so with regard to price/lumen.

Help me out, light gurus!

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    REI charges full sticker for their lights, so if you're going to buy them there, wait until they have their 20% off coupon and combine it with your dividend. Even using the 20% off coupon, you'll usually end up paying more at REI. Their service is awesome though.

Get a couple of Cygolite MityCross lights over one Trinewt (one for the bars and one for the helmet).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dinotte -great customer service and great products.
    Cygolite -soild lights- wasn't impressed with mine.
    L&M Very nice product and customer service, but overpriced.
    Niterider The original proprietary everything. Don't like the proprietary connectors, cords, batteries. Customer service is good though, but you pay for it when you need any thing replaced that is not under warranty.

Dinotte has the 800/400 combo on sale for $449. Buy the 600 and see if Dinotte will give you credit towards the other combo.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Dinotte -great customer service and great products.
    Cygolite -soild lights- wasn't impressed with mine.
    L&M Very nice product and customer service, but overpriced.
    Niterider The original proprietary everything. Don't like the proprietary connectors, cords, batteries. Customer service is good though, but you pay for it when you need any thing replaced that is not under warranty.

Dinotte has the 800/400 combo on sale for $449. Buy the 600 and see if Dinotte will give you credit towards the other combo.
    Talk to Rob, I'm 100% sure he will do the combo price. Dinotte 100% recommended (I had 2)

mtbr member
    Dino,

You can shave $120 on the trinewt on ebay. REI is not the place to buy your lights. I've been lusting over a Lupine Tesla 4 on Geoman lately.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Dino,

You can shave $120 on the trinewt on ebay. REI is not the place to buy your lights. I've been lusting over a Lupine Tesla 4 on Geoman lately.
    If you're thinking about it, go for it. I got mine from Geoman and what a light! (I also have the Wilma but before I had DiNotte 600, 200, HID ARC, Jetlite....) Tesla is an amazing light!

mtbr member
    I have a Dinotte and a Minewt LED light for night time riding.

I actually have the Dinotte handlebar mounted and the MINIewt on my helmet. I actually think I would like it the other way around.

The MINIewt has a broader light pattern, but not as intense. I think that on the bar would provide a good overall lighting for the trail and provide some contrast for depth of field.

The more intense and focussed beam of the Dinotte would allow me to pick spots I want to concentrate on; especially around tight bends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm a big Dinotte fan. I have 3 of their lights. Next one will likely come from them too. The 600l is a very nice light. Also consider their taillight if you ride alone at night.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Dino, don't pay ultra-retail! These are all great light options, but do a little shopping and you'll get any of these lights for much less.

I got a TridenX for 239 and that was a few months back. I see them for 220 now. I just don't like to reward certain retailers for charging premium prices for identical items. And I think your assumption on Niterider is correct; a nice light, but heavy and, well, ultra retail for what it is. Better bang for the buck elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    AYUP is selling their mtb kit with a helmet and bar light for $299. It is normally $465 for the set. I don't think you can go lighter than this kit and it puts out plenty of light.

American Icon

Three options

First of all... REI may not be the cheapest place to buy a light, but the service and satsifaction guarantee are hard to beat. The dividend check often comes with a coupon for 15-20%, so you should be in a good position to get one of the lights you need.

I've had a 600L. Good light, probably one of my favorites for all around use. i do wish it had a hotter center spot, but that may be personal preference. Bonus not to foget... you get two batteries.

Tridenx... the battery is miniscule. I gave mine to my wife and she uses it to commute, and then we can strap it to the helmet for MTB rides. I think this is a very solid all around light. May not get the most press/discussions, but solid none-the-less. On par with most lights IMO.

SECA. I've ridden with it and really like it. Very solid build and a light that will do as much as you want it to (race, trail ride, etc). Things I don't like are the price (high) and the height when helmet mounted (wish it could be about 1/2" lower/closer to the helmet).

I say go with the Dinotte. Use the coupon or wait for one (shouldn't be more than a month or so if one doesn't come withe the dividend). Use your dividend and get the light you think best suits your needs... if unhappy, well then REI will stand behind the light and make sure you are satisfied. How many cheaper online places will do that???

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I'm pretty sure the 600L from REI only comes with one battery. If you buy directly from Dinotte you get two batteries.

mtbr member

yup

Good thoughts all around, folks. Thanks, this does help.

So, yeah, REI has got retail + for all their prices. But I do anticipate a 20% coupon to come with my dividend and my dividend will cover the rest. Too good of a deal to pass up.

The Dinotte does come with a second battery at REI, so I think that'll be the way I'll most likely go.

American Icon

Mine had 2

My Dinotte was from REI... had two batteries

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I work at REI and there is a 20% off coupon coming with the dividend it is valid on march 2nd through the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't forget it's not like what REI carries is the only thing you can buy there - you can always ask someone to special order the specific product you want, and then still use your dividend + 20% off on it - if you want the 800/400 combo, etc. it's all good to do that. cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing