mtbr member
    May 2008

Lights and reflective gear for small kids

I live on a small cul-de-sac that has little traffic. But I go out on the street with my 4 and 1 year old quite a bit and would like to light them up and make them visible like a christmas tree, especially during twilight. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I live on a small cul-de-sac that has little traffic. But I go out on the street with my 4 and 1 year old quite a bit and would like to light them up and make them visible like a christmas tree, especially during twilight. Any recommendations?
    I see lots of young kids wearing the shoes with LED's built into them. Otherwise check out this link on Amazon. Scroll down till you start seeing stuff for kids. Check all the pages, more stuff as you go along.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool, I'll probably pick up a couple of the reflective belts.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I met someone at work who needed to make his kids more visible when downhill skiing at night, they were hard to spot behind the adults. He cut up led strip lights, glued them to the kid's helmets and powered them off a small battery. Instant safety zone and he had no trouble keeping track of where his kids were. The other kids loved it and so did their parents, he ended up doing it to other kids helmets as well. No reason it wouldn't work on bikes.

These are pretty awesome for non car traffic. It's like a mini cowbell that's always ringing. They aren't as annoying as a regular bell and warn people you are coming even if you can't see each other. The dog walkers around here like having a little extra time to reel their fur children in and avoid a potential crash.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...0&category=270

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    I met someone at work who needed to make his kids more visible when downhill skiing at night, they were hard to spot behind the adults. He cut up led strip lights, glued them to the kid's helmets and powered them off a small battery. Instant safety zone and he had no trouble keeping track of where his kids were. The other kids loved it and so did their parents, he ended up doing it to other kids helmets as well. No reason it wouldn't work on bikes.

These are pretty awesome for non car traffic. It's like a mini cowbell that's always ringing. They aren't as annoying as a regular bell and warn people you are coming even if you can't see each other. The dog walkers around here like having a little extra time to reel their fur children in and avoid a potential crash.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...0&category=270
    Small LED strips for the helmet could be perfect. This is pretty cool, but $$$ - https://www.lightmodehelmets.com/ Even just glow sticks could be an option

That cowbell is neat. Reminds me of living in Santa Barbara. We'd put our mini cowbells in our packs for the climb up and attach them to the bars on the descents.