mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Lights for early morning rides

Ok, so I've got to get off my fat butt and get in shape. I've been walking up to 10 miles a day and need to switch it up some. So I pulled the mountian bike off the rafter hooks in the garage.

It's about 5 years old, pretty nice bike. Great dust collector over the years.

Here's my problem, I only really can make the time to get on the thing before work, which means riding in the dark and early dawn.

I live in a rural area and will primarily ride limited use paved and dirt roads. Same basic routes my walking takes and often I can do a 10 mile walk only seeing 3-4 cars.

I need lights that let me see the road, and rear light that lets the odd driver (aren't all drivers in So Cal odd?) see me.

Since I'm planning on, for the morning rides, only being on roads I don't assume i need a ton of light. Not doing trails in the dark.

My rides will generally be under an hour. I can only carve out 45 or so minutes without being late to work. I already get up at 4:00AM.

Any suggestions? What kind of questions should I be asking at the bike shop?

Light freak
    Don"t buy from a bike shop, they will be limited to what they have to offer. How about a light from a fellow cyclist who only rides at 5am before work? Check out my blog - www. amoebalight.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got a budget???

And how important is reliability???
    Morning rides have one saving grace.........if you light craps out, all you have ot do is wait a bit until the sun comes up
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Don"t buy from a bike shop, they will be limited to what they have to offer. How about a light from a fellow cyclist who only rides at 5am before work? Check out my blog - www. amoebalight.blogspot.com

Jay, email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Got a budget???

And how important is reliability???
    Morning rides have one saving grace.........if you light craps out, all you have ot do is wait a bit until the sun comes up
    Budget? Until i saw what they had at the bike shop, it never occurred to me that budget might be a problem. I don't want to go nutty, but I do want quality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think you may need lights that are as bright or even brighter than full night time lights. The reason being, in my opinion, is that you are likely to see some very drowsy drivers at that time.

Just buy the same cheap lights that the rest of us are getting. Solarstorm x2 or x3, yindings (gemini duo clone), single xml, etc for the front. If you think that they are too bright at high, than you can always run them at low or mid power. I don't know about rear-facing lights, but there were couple of threads with recommendations in the past weak or two. Once the batteries go out get a decent set from action led. For $60 or less you can probably get two lights.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

POP lite F2

Quote Originally Posted by SKMoss View Post
    I need lights that let me see the road, and rear light that lets the odd driver (aren't all drivers in So Cal odd?) see me.
    Good day!

I have nothing but good to say about a POP lite F2 diving light. I always carry one in my backpack and mount it to the handlebar when needed. It's still going strong after years of rough use, the build quality is great. The beam hot spot is very tight, but there's some spill around and there are slots to the sides, so drivers can see it from afar. I covered the top slots with black tape to not shine on me. The plastic frame does not feel awful cold in hand no matter the temperature while the aluminium head dissipates some heat. It runs with safe and easy to use AA batteries. I'd recommend Japanese rechargeable low self discharge rate Eneloops, the best AA/AAA cells in the market. With four 1900 mAh AA Eneloops it keeps bright for perhaps two hours, before starting to dim. Not bright enough light for trail riding, but plenty bright for road use with no need for an external battery and all the hassle that ensues.

What ever you find the most suitable I'd recommend picking a specific retailer and a specific light that's been found true by someone as the copy market flourishes and seemingly identical lights can vary greatly in quality.

Safe rides & enjoyable training, keep it up!

JK

Light freak
    I love early morning rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow, what a cool trail.