mtbr member
    May 2014

Lighting Guide???

I am relatively new to mountain biking (started riding in January), and a complete greenie to the whole night riding aspect of biking. Is there a basic set-up guide for people like me to get an idea of what works and doesn't?

If not, I have several questions.

How many lights are normally used?
    How many lumens are too much?
    Where should my lights be mounted?
    Is there any special gear (besides the lights) that is needed for a night ride?
    Should I get an extra helmet for specific lighting or just get a removable bracket?

I understand that these questions are mainly opinion oriented, but there should be a basic concept that everything is based off of. Like in archery, there is a basic form that everybody modifies to their own in order to be as consistent as possible. From which (in archery) if you can be consistent, you could be accurate. I just have problems being consistently accurate lol.

Thanks for all the input.

Jody

mtbr member
    Idealy two lights. One mounted on the top of the helmet and one on the bars. Never to many lumens since you can adjust the brightness.

There are several lights on the market it comes down what your needs are.

Check out Lupine, gloworm, gemini, dinotte to name a few.

mtbr member
    Typically 2; 1 helmet and 1 bar.
    Don't worry about lumens too much; I would say 700+ actual lumens per light is about the min to ride off road. The issue is how manufactures measure them and many are overstated.
    See first bullet.
    No other special gear needed.
    This is personal preference; I just leave my helmet mount on in the winter but I have a buddy who has a separate helmet. Not necessary for sure. The mount I use is simple to take on/off.
    Action LED Lights - Brilliant lighting for all your biking & outdoor sporting activities. is a good one for online. A basic kit will run you ~$170 and include 2 Magicshine 808s. You can go up from there. You can also dive into the cheap-o knock-off Chinese market that is often discussed at great length on this forum but you sacrifice quality to some degree to save a few bucks. Your LBS will probably sell lights too, but you will see that many big-name brands they carry do not give you nearly the value that you will get through Jim at action.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    A little guide, you will must translate with microsoft translator (top right)

lucespotentesparatubici: Como elegir luces potentes y baratas
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    And when choosing the lights for your handlebars and helmet, I think a lot of riders would agree that a more floody light is preferred on the bars, and a spot light on the helmet.

Your helmet light always shines where you're looking, and you should be looking far out ahead of you, so you need a spot light to "throw" that light far down the trail.

The flood light on the bars lights up the ground right in front of your wheel, and the sides of the trail to give you a better sense of your surroundings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    And when choosing the lights for your handlebars and helmet, I think a lot of riders would agree that a more floody light is preferred on the bars, and a spot light on the helmet.

Your helmet light always shines where you're looking, and you should be looking far out ahead of you, so you need a spot light to "throw" that light far down the trail.

The flood light on the bars lights up the ground right in front of your wheel, and the sides of the trail to give you a better sense of your surroundings.
    What are some models and brands that have more of a flood? I have a Mako 200 and it is a real beam of light with not much flood to it.
    2013 Cannondale Scalpel
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2007 Trek Fuel Ex 9.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SRock24 View Post
    What are some models and brands that have more of a flood?
    I recently bought one of these on eBay for $35. It arrived from China in a week. My initial feeling was that it wasn't as bright as I had hoped for, but after a couple rides, I'm liking it more and more.
    The flood on this thing is great, really wide.