Thread: Light shopping

A little south of sanity
    Jun 2006

Light shopping

Hello. I have been looking through the posts on here, I am in search of a good bike light bar mounted that I can charge via USB. I am just looking for suggestions from people who own lights like this to give me an idea of which ones to look at.

Experienced drunk cyclist
    Nov 2008
    Why do you want a light you can charge through USB? A USB port cannot supply that much power, so will struggle to charge a decent size battery in a reasonable amount of time. As a result, the USB rechargeable lights that are available tend to be in the lower output category.

Why limit yourself?

Cloggy

A little south of sanity
    Jun 2006
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. i just basicaly want a good light for around 100 bucks. I have sene lights here for 600 bucks and I dont want to pay that, I want something that lasts for atleast 2 hours, and can be easily recharged, so i dont have to constantly deal with batteries. Obviously I wont get the brightest light for around 100 bucks but something better than my 10 dollar cat eye one I bought would be nice.

BBW
    mtbr member
    minewt? 110 lumens, USB and 99$

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Based on what you're using right now, I'm thinking you want it for commuting more as a be seen light. I could be wrong though (and usually am ).

I'd say wait for another Dinotte $100 200L sale or up your budget some if possible. Also, look into the Cygolite Mitycross - it can be had from Performance for $160 when they run their 20% off sales.

I don't usually recommend flashlights, but the Fenix L2D Q5 with a TwoFish mount, 4 good rechargeable AA's and a real charger that won't cook your batteries will set you back around 100 dollars.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    Niterider seems to think USB charging is a "feature". i'm supposed to charge my light off my laptop...which already has limited battery life? i don't get it.
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    One USB port can give maximum 500mA current. If you have let's say 4400mAh battery, you would have to charge it at least 4400/500= ~9 hours, and thats theoretical minimum. Normally it would take 10 to 11 hours.

Nov 2008
    Jerry,

It's not that simple.

One USB port can give maximum 500mA current at 5V. That equals 2.5VAH, or WH. If you have let's say 4400mAh battery at 14.7 V, that's 65 WH, you would have to charge it at least 65/2.5= 26 hours, and that's theoretical minimum. Normally it would take 30 to 33 hours.

Nov 2008
    oops, double post

Dirt Junkie

Nite Rider Minewt Mini-USB

I think the therory behind the USB charging is to "Top Off" the light while at work, not as a primary charger. It comes with a 4.5 hr charger. I have 2 and find them to be more than enough light for the trails I ride. I don't commute so they are my primary (and secondary) off-road light. I have upgraded the emitters and they compare favorably (pretty much identical) to my buddies Minewt X2, for half the price.

Rock

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    I think the therory behind the USB charging is to "Top Off" the light while at work, not as a primary charger. It comes with a 4.5 hr charger. I have 2 and find them to be more than enough light for the trails I ride. I don't commute so they are my primary (and secondary) off-road light. I have upgraded the emitters and they compare favorably (pretty much identical) to my buddies Minewt X2, for half the price.

Rock

How do you upgrade the emitters?