mtbr member

Light recommendation!

I'm looking for a light to mount on my bar or stem to do some night riding at my local trail system.

I've come across the light forum and to my dismay I am overwhelmed with names and numbers of which I do not know what any of it means!

I understand the concept of lumens and output. But after some long searches I still can't figure out what I need and where to get it! The shoot out thread is a tad confusing because I can't find the shoot out. All I see is a huge conversation and no reviews...? Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but after 7 pages of the thread I gave up in hopes the forum would warrant more results.

Basically, I ride slow technical trails. Not much speed. I want a light somewhere in the 900-1400 lumen range. (I think...?) Not looking to drop a huge wad on a light but I understand that you get what you pay for.

What would you recommend and where can I buy the bloody thing!? (Every link I click takes me to a German or Kiwi website which is mildly frustrating)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bug-rex View Post
    (Every link I click takes me to a German or Kiwi website which is mildly frustrating)
    Ha!
    See how we feel

Look here:
    2012 Bike Lights Shootout | Mountain Bike Review
    You really need two lights, one on helmet, one on bars.

Choose your budget. Dropping 100$ on a couple of cheap chinese lights might be a good place to start. Once you get hooked on night riding look to upgrade.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    if you want to start cheap there are people having good luck with these cheap lights..

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    this is the first and only light i have purchased so far, and so far so good, i will be buying another, or 2!

here is an option with a silver bezel
    NEW CREE XML XM-L T6 1600 Lumens HeadLamp LED Headlight Bike Bicycle Light Lamp | eBay

and they both ship from within the us

then there are US retailers such as Geoman and Action LED

they carry a variety of lights with the Magic Shine MJ-808e 1000lumen XML version being quite popular, there are also offerings from Gemini such as the Xera, titan, or olympia.
    browse through the 2 sights and take a look at all the offerings and you can do more research about them all knowing what you are looking at and the pricing. also with geoman you may pay a little more than action, but you get a higher quality battery pack.

with the light from the first ebay link i did add some stuff from action
    an Orange Peel Reflector but i did have to trim off the lip with a belt sander to get it to fit deeper inside the housing to get rid of dark spots inside of the main hotspot of the light.
    then i also added the Wide Angle Lens this works great as a bar light nice wide light with good throw still.
    next light will be the the same light on my helmet with just the orange peel reflector, and the clear lens. then possibly one more on my bars for more distance. but this is what my budget will allow at the moment, and i am fine with that!

when you start getting into the lights in the mtbr shootout you are going to start spending more money. and personally if i was going to drop that kind of money on lights it would be spent on the Baja designs offerings, i know there quality from offroad lights, and they offer amazing customer service.

there is my $0.02 and some links, im sure others will be chiming in with more info.

Lumen Guinea Pig
    The brand of light doesn't matter as much as what your riding needs are and solid customer service with warranty support - this rules out eBay, DX or anyone from overseas - yes that includes ourselves in Australia, IF you are in the US. Forget eBay sellers who claim they are in some US city. Suspect they are not - moreover cannot be verified.

Geoman and Action has the best reputation here so these guys are the go. Check out their website and ask questions till you are satisfied the light you choose is the one you need. Check out beamshots and videos of your shortlist, if possible.

Your considerations are of course your budget. If you intend to just get one light then go for a spot/flood combination light. If you intend to spend more in weeks or a couple of months later then go spot first, flood later. Burntime/runtime
    is also an important consideration.

All the best in your light quest.
    Last edited by Magicshine Australia; 02-01-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Diagnosed with MTB.
    All of us can recommend a good light for you depending on your budget.

It may seem a bit overwhelming with so many choices out there, so give us a number you're happy to spend and we'll make it easy for you

With that said, Action LED Lights is having a closeout sale on the Gemini TITANs for only $64.95.

Best of luck to you and happy rides.

mtbr member
    I would highly recommend just going with the off-the-shelf solutions from geoman/Action. Then there is no dicking with reflectors that don't quite fit etc. I just bought a set of the 808s from geoman, the set combined is $175 delivered. The set of Titan's through Action is $150 or so delivered. Seems like either of these is a bullet-proof entry-level solutions. The stuff on eBay seems hit or miss and more for the tinkering crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it.

My budget is going to be somewhere near $100 -$200 range for my first light. I basically want something as bright as I can get with that budget.

mtbr member
    Finally, while I am new to the LED scene, I did substantial amounds of night riding/racing in the 90's using halogen lights of the era. I can say that you 100% want 2 lights; 1 on the bar and 1 on the helmet. Without the helmet light, you will slow as you go through turns/corners b/c you can only see where the bike is pointed. Finally, with only 1 light, if you have any issues with the single light, you will be screwed in the dark.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicshine Australia View Post
    The brand of light doesn't matter as much as what your riding needs are and solid customer service with warranty support - this rules out eBay, DX or anyone from overseas - yes that includes ourselves in Australia, IF you are in the US. Forget eBay sellers who claim they are in some US city. Suspect they are not - moreover cannot be verified.
    Hi Leonard,

I can understand why you are highlighting benefits that you can provide that are not offered by chinese suppliers. Congratulations on your new business venture & I hope it goes well for you

One of the benefits for a consumer buying a product from a supplier within the same country is that it not only gives you better access to warranty support, it gives you someone to sue if things go wrong, if the product is not as described or is not fit for the purpose.

In this regards I have a few questions for you

[1] who or what is "Magicshine LED Lights Australia"? Neither the ASIC register nor the Australian Business Register have any record of a business operating under that name. I could not find an Australian Company Number nor an Australian Business Number listed on your website. The website states on the about us that it is "a family owned business" yet the contact us page says it is "an Ice Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd Company"

[2] I note that despite your claims of warranty support, tucked away on your website is an attempt to disclaim any responsibility that the lights fit for a particular purpose, or that the information is correct, accurate, or reliable or that lumen figures bear any resemblance to lumens produced by the light.

As a small business operator myself, I can understand entirely why you would want to limit your exposure to such claims, but you should be aware that the terms of the Competition and Consumer Act are not so easily avoided. You might care to consider carefully the terms of Schedule 2, and in particular sections 27 - Standard form contracts, section 29 False or misleading representations about goods or services, section 54 Guarantee as to acceptable quality and section 64 Guarantees not to be excluded etc. by contract

You seem like a nice person & it appears to me that you recognise legitimate concerns about the products you sell and in particular the batteries.

Refering to a light as 2200LM still give the misleading impression that the light is 2200 lumens, when other pages of your website suggests you do not believe this to be true.

The risks you run in your business are up to you, Ijust think it would be a shame to see your hard work come undone in trying to avoid the consequences of manufacturing defects rather than ensuring that the quality of your supply is up to what it claims.

Lumen Guinea Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post

Refering to a light as 2200LM still give the misleading impression that the light is 2200 lumens, when other pages of your website suggests you do not believe this to be true.
    Hi Bruce,

Some questions are not meant to be answered in open forums, so I won't go there.

As for warranties, like I've said in another forum, Authorised Distributors/Sellers handle the warranty of a product which is supported by a warranty agreement between them. DX for instance does not warrant the product and it's entirely up to the manufacturer to decide if they will honour the warranty.

As for the suggestion we have a warranty grey area. There are people who "do funny things" like fast charge a Li-ion battery using a aftermarket charger from K-Mart or some electronics store, possibly starting a fire. Should this be covered by warranty?

Whether it's MJ-872 1600LM or NB-04 2200LM, it is clearly stated the our website "2200LM" is the model number(based on the emitter). We did not say, it's 2200 real lumens or 1600 lumens. We use the number and LM with no space in between. If all we do is quote manufacturer's ratings, then yes, I agree can be deceptive. We publish beamshots so others can see if they are dimmer or brighter than the next light. Lumen numbers should not matter just as long as it's bright enough for you.

Have a good one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    it will top your budget a bit, but I can personally recommend the Dinotte XML3. It's got some qualities that make it worth the little bit of extra coin, to me. In reality, it's still a damn good price for what you get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I really like my niterider minewt 750 pro. It is 750 lumens and is plenty bright for all the riding I do. I did have to replace the light under warranty after two months but niterider service was excellent and I had the new light in about a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicshine Australia View Post
    Whether it's MJ-872 1600LM or NB-04 2200LM, it is clearly stated the our website "2200LM" is the model number(based on the emitter). We did not say, it's 2200 real lumens or 1600 lumens. We use the number and LM with no space in between.
    What does LM stand for if not Lumen?
    DIY LED Bike Lights:

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    What does LM stand for if not Lumen?
    Duh, it stands for light monster. Don't you know anything?
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    Duh, it stands for light monster. Don't you know anything?
    Ludicrous Marketing?

Liability Mitigation?
    DIY LED Bike Lights:

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Liability Mitigation?
    LOL!

So if a car was called, Asanti Green-600KPH then find_bruce would take umbrage that the name implies:

1) It can go 600 kilometers per hour.
    2) It is somehow environmentally friendly.

If those were in the spec sheet, then fair enough... but come on, it's a product name which incorporates the combined "manufacturer specified theoretical flux ratings of 2 x XM-L U2 binned LEDs" for heavens' (I'm a polytheist ) sake. It's hardly world shattering mis-marketing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    goood advice on here lads cheers

mtbr member
    OP, I was so you the past couple of months....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    the Magic Shine MJ-808e
    I started out with the 868, the 808's new brother, about $120 shipped with the helmet mount and an extension cord.

I got it over the weekend and unfortunately it dumped 2 ft in Golden last weekend so when I have taken it to see how it works it relfects off all the new snow and lights up the whole freaking neighborhood like it's the freakin sun.

In the garage it lights it up like it's daylight.

I can't wait to take it out on the trails and get some decent pictures but first impressions are:

Certainly bright enough
    Seems solidly made
    Nice, inexpensive intro to the night

They have a US reseller magicshineusa and mine got to me in about 3 days.

I went with this as it had good reviews after looking and lurking for weeks and at that price it was worth the gamble.

Not in any way connected to the company, just an average joe trying to save a buck and get a decent product.
    Last edited by BobGolden; 02-07-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Clarify MagicShineUSA is a reseller not a Distributor