Thread: Light Options

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Light Options

Several years ago I used to ride single track at night using a Niterider Evolution. I want to get back into it again, and am in the process of researching lights. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a few lights. The 400L by Dinotte and the Mitycross 350 or Tridenx LED by Cygolite. At this time I am looking to use just one helmet light, however I haven’t ruled out buying two and using one on the bars and one for the helmet.

My questions are: what would be my better choice or are there other options to consider? and are the beam spread and beam length on these lights adequate?

I realize that on the Dinotte I have a choice of reflectors to change the beam profile.
    Any information from some actual users of these products would be a great help!

Thanks,
    David J
    Last edited by daj013; 03-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Niterider Minewt.... end of story. I've ridden since last September with it throughout the winter in NH!!! At downhill speeds... It works great and for about 100 bucks it kicks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 400L is probably one of the best head light out there. The battery is small and you can mount both on your helmet. Others to look at are Ayup and the Lupine Tesla.

I just got back from a ride tonight before it started to snow - 400L on the helmet and 600L on the bars. The 400L seems as bright as if not brighter than the 600L.

J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    T... 400L on the helmet and 600L on the bars. The 400L seems as bright as if not brighter than the 600L.

J
    Interesting...I've never seen a 400L in person but I have a feeling that it probably has a more efficient/focused optic than the ( triple optic ) 600L. No matter...I still love my 600L.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 600L is great, the beam is wider than the 400L with the standard lenses and is what probably makes it seem brighter. In the acidinmylegs blog, they refer to the 400L as the new 600L in one place. I'd largely agree with that characterization.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can't go wrong with Dinotte... 400 lumens for $209 (400L) or 800 lumens for $369 (dual 400L). But if you've got the scratch, the killer Dinotte setup is the deal they currently have for the 800L (bar) plus 400L (helmet)... a 1200 lumen combo for $449.

note: image from "Bike Musings"

I'm sure others will chime in with some 'cheaper' options, but that word works both ways. To paraphrase: Cheaper is as cheaper does.

In any case, the 'value' in Dinottes isn't just the quality of the build or the number of lumens - but also consider the value of the "extras"... 100% satisfaction, direct access to the company/owner, future upgradability (as led technology advances), trade-in program, interchangability, relatively cheap replacement batteries, etc.

However, despite the recommendation above, I'd also have to mention for a single light option... the most bang for the buck appears to be the NiteFLUX Photon Max. 800 lumens plus for under $300.

note: image from "GeoManGear"
    Last edited by abacojeff; 04-01-2009 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the comments guys. I am also a firm believer in the old saying, buy cheap, buy twice. At this time I am probably going with two Dinotte 400L's.

David J

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    For around $350 you can get the Trailtech 1600 lumen light that you can put on your handlebar and make nightime almost like daylight. If I had to do it all over again, that is the route I would go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by abacojeff
    You can't go wrong with Dinotte... 400 lumens for $209 (400L) or 800 lumens for $369 (dual 400L). But if you've got the scratch, the killer Dinotte setup is the deal they currently have for the 800L (bar) plus 400L (helmet)... a 1200 lumen combo for $449.

note: image from "Bike Musings"

I'm sure others will chime in with some 'cheaper' options, but that word works both ways. To paraphrase: Cheaper is as cheaper does.

In any case, the 'value' in Dinottes isn't just the quality of the build or the number of lumens - but also consider the value of the "extras"... 100% satisfaction, direct access to the company/owner, future upgradability (as led technology advances), trade-in program, interchangability, relatively cheap replacement batteries, etc.

However, despite the recommendation above, I'd also have to mention for a single light option... the most bang for the buck appears to be the NiteFLUX Photon Max. 800 lumens plus for under $300.

note: image from "GeoManGear"
    Could you tell me where you are getting those prices from? Dinotte's website lists the dual 400L for $429, and I would love to find it for $369. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dinotte is having a sale! If you poke around their online store, you'll see some selections at the 'normal' prices... and some duplicate selections at the sale prices. You just need to find the right linky.

If you navigate manually, go to the Dinotte website (of course)... Click "Online Store"... Click "Li-Endurance"... scroll through list of lightsets... you'll see some listing with "Sale" in the description and lower prices!

I tried to insert a direct link to the dual 400L sale option... but the way Dinotte has their webpage set up, the link "stops" at the storefront. So, here's a link to the storefront - you'll have to navigate from there forward.
    http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=462226510

Only catch is that you don't get to customize your selection... i.e. change battery size, add extra battery, add extra mount, etc.

P.S. Admin or anybody, If my links are a violation, let me know and I'll edit this post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    +1 for HID for 'bang for buck'...

See Francois' review here: http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/trail-tech-mr16-hid-light/

I think the HID options gets flamed a little too much in the light forums...
    2 years ago you couldn't touch the lumens per watt and the runtimes.

I've got 2 Marwi Nightpro Extreme 10W HIDs (500 lumens each) that I've used as a dual setup (1 on helmet, 1 on handle bars) with 3 to 4 hour runtime. Not as bright as the Trail Tech MR16 option, but not as bulky either and some people like the 'flexibility' of a 2 light set up (and double the Trail Tech runtime).

However, to make the Marwi HIDs really do what I want them to... I'd want to upgrade the bar mounted unit to the Solarc NGX bulb/ballast ($200) which is 1000 lumens at 14W... and upgrade the helmet mount unit to a 6 narrow spot ($85) which would remain 500 lumens at 10W (but more tightly focused so it would look brighter).

If I did the bulb upgrades, then I'd be tempted to go with a battery upgrade to feed the NGX the 13.2V that makes it the most happy (maximize the power and runtime)... and I'm out another $165.

All-in-all my potential HID upgrades would result in a great lightset (1500 lumens and 4 hour runtimes) but it would potentially cost me $450... so I bought a Lupine Tesla instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There is a photon Max Extreme for $370 area, with 1350 lumens or something, same design as the other 1 but with 2 MC-E's and a Q5 spot or something.

I've got 1000lumens from torches on my bars for @$76 with batterys and charger , I've got @900lumens on my head to for @$75

1900Lumens Doesn't look much in the winter in the mud but when it's all nice and dry it's just too much!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    go the ay ups
    they beat everything for quality, value and weight
    and the lights put out 560 lumens
    they r awesome

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Each light puts out 560 or the set? I thought each Ayup light was 320 lumens.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    280 lumens each light

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Checking back on the reviews here for them - the older ones are 280 lumens. The newer ones are 320 lumens.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Checking back on the reviews here for them - the older ones are 280 lumens. The newer ones are 320 lumens.

J.
    Just to be clear, 320 lumens for the set (2 individual lights), or per light making the pair 640?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If I'm reading the light shoot out correctly, each individual unit, which has two LED lights - i.e. what you put on your helmet, is 320 lumens. If you buy a set for your bars and a set for your helmet, then you would have 640 lumens.

That said, the lights on these seem to put out more usable light than the 400L if you believe this chart here:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/lights-...-measurements/

That says the 400L puts out 25 ambient lux while the Ayups put out 33 - the same that the Dinotte 600L was measured at. For reference, the Lupine Wilma and the Dinotte 800L both put out about 55-56.

I may have to give the Ayup Helmet (Narrow) version a try.

J.