mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Light&Motion TAZ1200 vs Lupine Piko TL Max (900 Lumen version)?

Hello all,
    wondering if anyone could comment on the above comparisons? Or even if you have used either one?

Locally they are exactly the same price because the Lupine is the older 900 lumen version and the new 1200 lumen version is now out, so the dealer is having a sell out of the older model.

Any my comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You can get the 2013 Taz 1200 cheaper now. I just paid $233 for mine. Don't think you would get the Piko for that price.

Mostly I don't think you can beat the L&M beam pattern. It also has more power at about equal run times I think. And it's cheaper. However, if form factor is more important then the Tazz can't compete.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for your comment blackbean. Where did you find the TAZ1200 for $233?

My local shop is $299, and pushes.com.au is $249.

mtbr member
    Amazon.com (US). Sorry, didn't know you were not in the US.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I assume you will be using the light on the bar as your sole light. If so, I recommend the Taz due to its flood pattern versus the circular pattern of the Piko. I've used a Seca 1700 (that has a similar beam pattern to the Taz) and it's GREAT as a bar light. However, you'll likely want to supplement the Taz with a helmet light--Piko perhaps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stu06 View Post
    I assume you will be using the light on the bar as your sole light. If so, I recommend the Taz due to its flood pattern versus the circular pattern of the Piko. I've used a Seca 1700 (that has a similar beam pattern to the Taz) and it's GREAT as a bar light. However, you'll likely want to supplement the Taz with a helmet light--Piko perhaps?
    I agree. Tazz for the handlebar. I also recommend 2 lights so that u have a backup. I wld also recommend the Volt 1200 for a helmet light instead of the Piko if u want to spend less money. It has more of a spot beam and 2 hrs run time at 1200 lumens for $200 US. If u want to stay fully cordless that wld b a good combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    I agree. Tazz for the handlebar. I also recommend 2 lights so that u have a backup. I wld also recommend the Volt 1200 for a helmet light instead of the Piko if u want to spend less money. It has more of a spot beam and 2 hrs run time at 1200 lumens for $200 US. If u want to stay fully cordless that wld b a good combo.
    Malherbi, have you bought the lights yet?

I received both the Tazz 1200 and Volt 1200 last night and took them for a spin. I first tested them in my back yard and was really impressed when I first turned on the Tazz. But the Volt really blew me away. The beam is not quiet as wide as the Tazz, but it has way more throw and seems overall brighter. I think the Tazz might not have enough power to back up such a broad beam. Very impressed by both, but the vote goes to the Volt.

We all know that once you start moving, it's almost as if the light dims. Well, that's at least how it appears to me. On the road I'd say both of these lights are pretty near useless. Especially if you have any streetlamps or other lights from homes and businesses. On darker roads they are a bit better, but again the edge goes to the Volt. I got much better illumination ont he road with my X2 v2 at 900 lumens than any of these 2 lights on the handlebar at full power.

Then I ducked into the single-track. In the woods I would say the Tazz provides more peripheral light. You could ride without a helmet light because the beam is broad enough, I just don't think it's strong enough. The Volt lights the trail up better, but the beam is slightly too narrow. I love wide beams for the trail. I would still pick the Volt because of better overall light.

However, I would recommend rather running either of these lights on the helmet. On the bar the light output just seems 'less'. I don't think I would recommend either of these lights for bar mounting. My X2 v2 on the helmet running at MED (900 lumens)gave me way more light (better spread and throw) than either of these lights at 1200 lumens on the bar.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think for the bar I would prefer 2000-3000 lumens. I've been riding for a year now with only my X2 v2 running at 900 lumens at all times except when going uphill (when I switch to LOW mode) and have felt I have ample illumination 90% of the time. Adding the 1200 lumens (I rode with both lights last night and switched between the 2 at times) to the bar did not make a huge difference and I was underwhelmed by the performance of these lights on the bar. On the helmet I think it would be a different story, and although I prefer spread to throw on the trails, I think the Volt would be the better light. As you move the light higher (by sitting on your helmet instead of the handlebar) it's spread increases sufficiently. I think both lights can mount on a Magicshine-style helmet mount.

For some people 217g on the lid might be too much but I think it's a better solution if you want to use these lights. I think I'm returning both and maybe rather invest in the XS once we see some reviews on it. For the bar I'd rather later spend the money on a Fullbeam Fusion or the new Exposure Reflex Mk2 (both work with speed sensors and produced 2000+ lumens). The only problem is if I don't like the Fullbeam, it needs obe shipped back to England.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbean View Post
    Malherbi, have you bought the lights yet?

I received both the Tazz 1200 and Volt 1200 last night and took them for a spin. I first tested them in my back yard and was really impressed when I first turned on the Tazz. But the Volt really blew me away. The beam is not quiet as wide as the Tazz, but it has way more throw and seems overall brighter. I think the Tazz might not have enough power to back up such a broad beam. Very impressed by both, but the vote goes to the Volt.

We all know that once you start moving, it's almost as if the light dims. Well, that's at least how it appears to me. On the road I'd say both of these lights are pretty near useless. Especially if you have any streetlamps or other lights from homes and businesses. On darker roads they are a bit better, but again the edge goes to the Volt. I got much better illumination ont he road with my X2 v2 at 900 lumens than any of these 2 lights on the handlebar at full power.

Then I ducked into the single-track. In the woods I would say the Tazz provides more peripheral light. You could ride without a helmet light because the beam is broad enough, I just don't think it's strong enough. The Volt lights the trail up better, but the beam is slightly too narrow. I love wide beams for the trail. I would still pick the Volt because of better overall light.

However, I would recommend rather running either of these lights on the helmet. On the bar the light output just seems 'less'. I don't think I would recommend either of these lights for bar mounting. My X2 v2 on the helmet running at MED (900 lumens)gave me way more light (better spread and throw) than either of these lights at 1200 lumens on the bar.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think for the bar I would prefer 2000-3000 lumens. I've been riding for a year now with only my X2 v2 running at 900 lumens at all times except when going uphill (when I switch to LOW mode) and have felt I have ample illumination 90% of the time. Adding the 1200 lumens (I rode with both lights last night and switched between the 2 at times) to the bar did not make a huge difference and I was underwhelmed by the performance of these lights on the bar. On the helmet I think it would be a different story, and although I prefer spread to throw on the trails, I think the Volt would be the better light. As you move the light higher (by sitting on your helmet instead of the handlebar) it's spread increases sufficiently. I think both lights can mount on a Magicshine-style helmet mount.

For some people 217g on the lid might be too much but I think it's a better solution if you want to use these lights. I think I'm returning both and maybe rather invest in the XS once we see some reviews on it. For the bar I'd rather later spend the money on a Fullbeam Fusion or the new Exposure Reflex Mk2 (both work with speed sensors and produced 2000+ lumens). The only problem is if I don't like the Fullbeam, it needs obe shipped back to England.
    I would be interested to see what you think after you spend more time with the lights. I wonder if your brain and eyes are so trained to your X2 900 lumen output spottish type light and needs time to adjust to other types of light patterns.