Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

Light & Motion - Taz1200 and 800

I am looking to pick up some lights for mtb and possibly an occasional commute. I am thinking of a Taz1200 for the bars and the Taz800 for my helmet. Is this a good setup?

I have no experience with bike lights. I typically ride with a very fast race group and would like to continue to ride with them now that it gets dark early.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a 1200. It's a good light but I think too heavy for a helmet. I would work but you'd feel the mass up there.

The Taz 1200 is a very bright light but the run time is somewhat limited. If you need longer run time you need to go with a different setup.

II would use something different for the helmet light. I sometimes use my Urban 500 as it is much lighter. There are other brands with cables to batteries you can keep in your pocket.

But the Taz is better suited for bar mounting I would think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you are looking at all-in-one lights I can recommend the Exposure Diablo for the helmet: it has the best helmet mount ever, great quality, excellent beam pattern, negligible weight. My only gripe is the runtime, but that's the price you pay for not having an external battery.

I've been using my Diablo for more than 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would think the Taz would be a better bar mount anyway with the way the optics are set (wide throw and the diffused portion). A spottier helmet option (smaller too) would then be a fine match.

Lugano, what is your thought about the bar mount? Have you used it much on bumpy singletrack? It is the one thing I am the least sure of looking at these lights, as it seems like it would slip/rotate reasonably easily.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    By lighter this means a light head with an external battery? I am not opposed to that but like the simplicity of the enclosed battery. Light and motion has the Seca lights. Would these be a better choice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    I would think the Taz would be a better bar mount anyway with the way the optics are set (wide throw and the diffused portion). A spottier helmet option (smaller too) would then be a fine match.

Lugano, what is your thought about the bar mount? Have you used it much on bumpy singletrack? It is the one thing I am the least sure of looking at these lights, as it seems like it would slip/rotate reasonably easily.
    I don't ride off road so I can't say. But in my experience on bumpy roads, the strap has to be pulled very tight, tighter than you think it should be. I remove the light after rides so as not to have permanent distortion of the strap. It is pretty secure on the road if it's pulled really tight but I can't speak for off road. I will say that 'normal' tightness is not enough. Go normal and then pull one hole tighter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a Taz800 on my handlebar. I'd say it's way too heavy for a helmet mounting. The 1200 must be even heavier. I use a L&M Vis350+ on my helmet.

mtbr member
    a friend of mine has the Taz1200 and he took it for its first ride last week. Beam pattern seemed really nice. Only downside is the painfully slow charging time using a USB port - the L&M rep recommended getting a tablet USB charger (one of the 2A ones) to cut the charging time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    a friend of mine has the Taz1200 and he took it for its first ride last week. Beam pattern seemed really nice. Only downside is the painfully slow charging time using a USB port - the L&M rep recommended getting a tablet USB charger (one of the 2A ones) to cut the charging time.
    A good charger makes the difference. L&M needs to sell a proper charger as an accessory if they don't include it with their lights. I learned this by trial and error. Your Taz will likely not charge at all on a cheap cellular phone charger. It works OK with my iPad charger but still takes hours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    L&M doesn't need to sell a 2A charger as an accessory. You can easily buy one at any store that carries chargers and likely for much cheaper than they'd charge. I think they should include one with the purchase of the light. They even admit that the included cable they include is insufficient to properly charge the light via a computer USB source.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugano View Post
    A good charger makes the difference. L&M needs to sell a proper charger as an accessory if they don't include it with their lights. I learned this by trial and error. Your Taz will likely not charge at all on a cheap cellular phone charger. It works OK with my iPad charger but still takes hours.
    They do.

LIGHT & MOTION || SHOP Bike Lights

mtbr member
    bump - Looking at buying a handlebar mounted light for night MTB riding. My LBS carries the TAZ 1200. Anyone else have any real time with one of these?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    bump - Looking at buying a handlebar mounted light for night MTB riding. My LBS carries the TAZ 1200. Anyone else have any real time with one of these?

Thanks
    Yes. It's a good light. But when it's done, it's done. No replacement battery. It must be recharged and that takes several hours. That's fine if your rides are short and you have all day to recharge.

I use it on my urban/suburban rides where I know that I will either have street lights in worst case or I can live with it on it's lowest setting.

It's worth about 75-90 minutes on high setting.

I also own a Seca 1400 and need a new battery. That will be my go-to light when I get a new Li-ion battery. The Taz1200 is good though. No hesitation to recommend but beware of its time limitations. It's not really intended for serious off roading I don't think though it is bright enough.