mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Light & Motion Stella 400 for $180 at REI

Saw this light from REI over the weekend and wondering what anyone thinks... It's 40% off and looks like a good deal. Thoughts??
    http://www.rei.com/product/808600/li...ual-bike-light
    Thanks

big legs, small brains
    We sell Stella's at our shop and I like them. Good fit and finish and great customer support.

Kyle

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Light and Motion products... except price. Great quality, work for years. I used one of their HID lights, it survived all the abuses I could throw at it for a good 6 years I think.

But I would not buy another one of their products - it's just not worth the money. For instance you could get a BikeRay IV for the same $180. It has at the very least 3 times the brightness, a better beam (much wider, much longer throw), and runs longer to boot. Compare Stella's beam shot to that of the BikeRay IV (the first cone is at 50 feet!) - the difference is astounding and it's all for the same money. Also, the price of Light and Motion accessories is ridiculous, IMO. $130 for a spare battery that can power a 400 lumen light for only 2.5 hr? You gotta be kidding me! And to make sure you don't buy a cheaper battery elsewhere, they use a proprietary connector. What a joke!

As for customer service, it used to be great but now they don't even list a phone number on their web site. They used to have a telephone - I know because over the years I've called them a couple of times to get this or that spare part. But apparently they don't wish to talk to their customers anymore. Bad, bad, bad for a company that sells its products at a premium price.

Personally, if I had $180 to spend, I'd get the BikeRay IV - which is actually exactly what I did. Couldn't be happier.

Just my $0.02. If you value build quality above everything else and are willing to pay top dollars for a light that quite frankly has mediocre specs (lumens, run time) in this day of age, then go for the Stella 400.
    Last edited by Azra; 06-07-2011 at 12:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    180 for an old 400 lumen light... whata deal

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I give then a 3 on a scale of 10 for customer service, long cord. Sent a email to the president - never responded. Sold me Seca 700 and returned the Stella 300 and purchased a Lupine...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Good job! Note on Customer Service

I don't know about the light, as I haven't decided if i will purchase one yet. I've been looking at their NEW 2012 Stella 300 and 600. (yep both spendy, but after using one in a store, i liked the feel, look, and quality - i can probably trust it long term).

However, I joined this site just now to make a comment to you about the Service of the Light & Motion company. Please read this if you read the thread above.

Someone above stated bad customer support. I found their phone number in the first link of a Google search yesterday, called them, they answered, and a very helpful, nice, and informative guy answered my questions for 40 minutes, without even trying to push me off the phone. I got all the details I was looking for.

I was extremely impressed with the customer support of Light & Motion, and felt it would be a good idea to mention that considering what some said above. Thanks for reading.

Hopefully I can choose between all the lights that APPEAR to be worth it (NiteRider MiNewt 600, Stella 600, Ravx Ignite X, Sigma PowerLED Evo, etc). First two are 600 lumens (or so they claim), and the last 2 are 900 lumens (as they claim). So its back to research for me! Later.
    Last edited by ariccougar; 07-29-2011 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking back at this thread, I was wrong to think that the Bikeray IV is a competition to any of L&M's products. I will admit that readily. I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

But I stand my ground on customer service. You had to google their phone number?! You find that normal? I don't. The phone number should be on their web site and it isn't.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Light and Motion

Not that I want to pick on them - Had a Seca 700 for 16 month. No issues, worked well.

Purchased the Vis 180 and within the first week the hinge would not work. Spoke with L&M support and they wanted to charge my credit card and send me a replacement and then credit my card when the bad unit was shipped back.

thats not what i wanted and I ended up returned to my LBS

Purchased a new bike in Feb and did not want to run that long Seca 700 cord to the battery on the seat tube

spoke with tech support - no way to shorten the cable.

sent an email to the president - no response

Sold the unit on Craig's List and purchased a Lupine Pike - not as bright as the Seca 700 but the mounting worked out perfect

anyone wants photos - send me a PM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check out the Lupine Piko...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I too found the number on Google and both times the rep was very helpful.

Got a suspension fork
    You could also get a DiNotte XML1, more light for less money.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides