mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Light & Motion Seca 1400 LED Light

I have done some research on narrowing down light choices based on reviews and simply what's available in my location with support (Toronto, Canada). The time and choices involved has become overwhelming so need to make the cutoff sooner than later lest all my freetime is getting used and night riding keeps getting delayed more and more,

The L&M Seca 1400 LED light 'appears' to be the overall easier pick for me to live with, all things considered. However, I'm looking to keep my expectations realistic, so would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding the following:
    1. expected life of light? We ride single-track, but aggressively. No serious downhill stuff.
    2. can this light be mounted on the helmet or is it mostly suited to handlebar mounting?
    3. if mounted on handlebar, what is the best complementary helmet-mounted light to go with it?
    4. true experiences -- what can i expect to go wrong with it or simply what are its weak attributes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    After looking up that L&M 1400, I just had to say.... that is a sweet looking light, but you could buy a Dinotte 1200 and XML 3 for the helmet.... for the same money. same reliability, and more lumens.

Sorry to derail your thread... I apologize.

mtbr member
    I ran the L & M Seca 1400 for over a year and it was just awesome. The battery life was great, I never had to worry about running out of juice. A lot of the guys I ride with have nite riders and Magicshines, MY Seca 1400 was way brighter (even than the NR 1500) and battery ran way longer. Never a single problem with the light to the point I only ran that light on the bars with no backup, The mount is super quick and easy, just put the battery on the seatpost and light on the bars and wrap the cord around the top tube twice.

I ran the Stella 300 on my helmet when I raced and that work great as well. But there are some other good choices for the helmet. I do like the new NR 600, it is an all in one light with 600 lumans and priced well. It would be nice to mount on the helmet with no cords.

I would just stay away from Magicshine. We ride 2 or 3 nights a week and those things keep failing. I know the are way cheap but one guy is on his 4th on in a year. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps you out.

He be a moose too.
    I've had the Seca 700 and currently have an 800 & 1400. I don't see any issue with life of the light. Some say the construction isn't that robust but so far so good for me. The helmet mount is a standard mount that is used on a number of different lights, so you can buy an extra cheaply if you need. It has a rubber strap for the handlebars, so it will fit anything. The newer Secas are vastly superior in terms of mounts over the Seca 700. The flopped around on bumpy areas but the newer mounts don't slip and are rock solid, no problems there. As far as a complimentary light, not sure, like I said, I have two Secas.

I've had two problems with my L&M lights in the last six years or so. With the HID Arc, I had a ballast issue that they fixed under warranty. With the Seca 700 I didn't like the mounts and L&M did a seriously discounted upgrade for me. So far with the newer Secas, no problems.

L&M is expensive. Are they better than Dinotte or Nightrider or whatever? I'm not sure. I don't want to buy a cheap light and have it break repeatedly, I just want reliability and so far so good.
    Looking for: Really nice set of black M730 cranks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Danka ... picking it up tmr ... 2 more q's

This is all very helpful. I pick up the light tomorrow ... with increased confidence thankfully. Two more questions:
    1) Regarding using the light, is it okay to use it right out of the box or is there any truth to the idea that the battery needs to be cycled at least 3-4 times before using the light on the trail?

2) Seems like the most practical light placement is the helmet mount -- Is the Seca 1400 too heavy? too hot? too cumbersome? for a helmet mount or does it simply suffice best as a handlebar mount?

Thanks again.

He be a moose too.
    Not sure about #1, best to call L&M about that. #2, the light head is not even noticeable. I carry the battery in my jersey pocket, so no problems with a helmet mount.

Our trails tend to wind and curve pretty severely, so given a choice of where, a helmet mount is a must. If you have two lights, one of each but I go with helmet mounting first.

Getting off work in half an hour and will go night riding on a trail with hundreds of turns, one light on the bars, one on the helmet.
    Looking for: Really nice set of black M730 cranks