mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Light combo advice.

Hey all,

I am planning on getting some lights for my wife and I to ride at night. Please let me know if this will be a good combo.
    I am thinking of going with an Ituo Wiz XP 2 and a Wiz 1.

What I want to do is mount the XP2 to my helmet and mount the Wiz 1 to my wife's bars. When we ride together it will be just mild trail / double track.
    When I ride single track at night I will take the Wiz 1 and put it on my bars so XP2 on helmet and Wiz 1 on bars. Right now she has no interest in single track at night.

Let me know if you all think this would be a good plan. I am new to the riding at night world and want to do it right, but also need to be cost effective!
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAKC
    I would go wiz20 on the bars. Wiz1 isn't really designed for hard trail use. Mild stuff it's good but I think you'd be disappointed when it comes to shredding singletrack.

I've used mine on trails before and for my on a fat bike in the trails i was in (not techy, really tight and twisty,) it worked great for a light to get me back to the van. But I wasn't trying to set a pr or anything. Was hauling a cordless chainsaw and such doing trail work.

Basically, the first reason for lights is what the wiz1 and 2 are great for. Literally the perfect commuting, bike path, fire road light (fat biking too, self contained lights are always the best when it gets really cold unless you want to stuff a battery pack inside your jacket).

But the second part, flying down singletrack I think the wiz20 is much better suited vs the wiz1 if you like to ride at higher speeds.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for the advice. Yes that makes sense. Basically I am trying to just get two lights that will work for me on single track and then split them up when I ride with my wife on non aggressive trails. Both will be on fatties.
    Wiz 20 / XP 2 better than wiz1 / Xp2.
    And the wiz 20 is specifically for the bars and XP2 could be for either bar or helmet. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

mtbr member
    I would agree with tigris99. I had a Wiz1 and it wasn't up to the job of lighting the trails so I managed to exchange it for a Wiz20 which is a much better light all round.

More powerful, better beam pattern and more flexible. It will complement the XP2 perfectly as well. I think you will be well satisfied with the combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks OTH.
    Do you think that when I split them up for some mild trail riding that one light per bike will be good enough for some easy going riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Simple answer is yes!!. These are pretty potent lights approx 1500 lumens each. For you and you wife to putt around on mellow trails you will have plenty of light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Awesome. Now the convincing of the other half that we "need" these lights. Wish me luck. Thanks for the help!

RAKC
    Something my wife understood when I met her. Just buy good once and be done. No sense in being cheap and buying 3-4x before you get something that does what you need it to or it lasts.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah. You're absolutely right. She knows I do my research so I know I'm getting good quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    About to order a Wiz20. One last question. It sounds like there is an option to order it with a wider beam. Sorry for the newb terms but I don't know how else to explain it. Just checking if I am correct on this and what would I say to order it with that option. Thanks!

RAKC
    It's not an "option" if your ordering from the website. That's how they come now is a more bar friendly beam pattern instead of a really narrow beam.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Got it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    One option you will have of course is to easily change the optics once you have the Wiz20/XP2. These are readily available, inexpensive and easy to change with a litle care and no real technical expertise necessary. However, I would suggest just riding with the lights as they come initially and see how you (and your wife) get on with them.

Read the various Wiz20/XP2 threads on here as there is a lot of discussion and good advice on there from various posters about the different optic combinations. You will also find the relevent information where to source the new optics if you do decide you would like to experiment.

You might find some of it confusing but if you do you can always post for extra clarification and advice.