Thread: Light choices

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Light choices

I need new lights. I do one 24 hour ride, (24 Hrs in the Old Pueblo) each year. I'll be part of a two person team and expect our laps to be about 90 minutes.
    Since for most of the year, my use for the ight will be as a back-up commuter light, I want a cordless light.
    I may have narrowed my choices to a L&M Taz (800 or 1200) or a Lezyne MegaDrive.

L&M lights are supposed to have a nice beam pattern for off road riding, but the seem to be plagued by a slow recharge time (even with a 2 amp charger,) and they cost more.

The Taz 1200 can be had for $225 and has run times of:

•High (1200L): 1.3 hours
    •Medium (600L): 3.0 hours
    •Low (300L): 6.0 hours

If I avoid the high setting, I should have plenbty of run time. Is 300 lumens enough for a non technical off road coarse? If so, 600 lumens at 300 lumens seems like a good thing.

The Taz 800 costs $200 and burns:

•High (800L): 2 hours
    •Medium (400L): 4.0 hours
    •Low (200L): 8.0 hours

Maybe the Taz 800 will provide adeqate light on medium?

Lezyne puts out more lumens and is cheaper ($159 at Arts Cyclery) but no one seems to have reviewed them.

Blast: 1000Lm / 1.5hrs
    Enduro: 500Lm / 3hrs
    Economy: 200Lm / 7hrs

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Based on your projected lap times, the person riding at 4:30 am will need a light as well as the person riding the 6:00 am lap (it gets dark before 6 and light around 7 at this time of the year). You will need more than 6 hours of light. Also, I don't believe that either battery can be charged without the light so you may to get a backup battery. I believe the Lezyne Mega Drive loaded kit comes with a backup battery.