mtbr member

Light That Can Be Dimmed So Oncoming Joggers/Riders Are Not Blinded on Paved Trail?

Any recommendations on a light that can be dimmed or turned off easily and not blind oncoming jogger/bike traffic on a paved trail?

I've started to ride on a paved trail very early in the morning when it's pitch black dark on some sections of the trail, and noticed that oncoming riders and joggers turn off or shield their lights when passing others, so I've been doing that myself.

I cover the Bontrager Ion 700 light with my gloved hand so that only a tiny bit of the light goes through, to very dimly light the right side of the trail.

But almost at the same time, I had oncoming jogger traffic on the other lane and also a jogger going in the same direction as me in my lane (without much reflective clothing). I wasn't going too fast so I was able to slow down, pass the oncoming joggers with my hand partially covering the light, and then give the jogger up ahead a wide berth. But in the middle of winter training when I'll be going faster, things might get a little more squirrelly….

I also have the Ituo light that I can program the brightness setting for one of the modes, but I don't think that it's dim enough. Also, turning it off is a pain as you have to hold the button as the light cycles through a couple of brightness/flash settings until it turns off.

So any recommendations on a light that can be easily dimmed to a very low level or can be easily switched off without cycling through modes? Preference would be for handlebar mount with wired wireless activation.

I've even considered getting a gun sight flip cap and cutting a small hole in it….Lol!

Name:  411TX8Hj4sL.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  28.1 KB
    '15 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon World Cup

mtbr member
    Just occurred to me that the flip cap might melt....Seems that the Raveman CR900 w/wired remote can be dimmed to 35 lumens.

Not sure how easy it will be to cycle to the eco mode.https://www.rakclighting.com/collect...ront-headlight

Not to be a Raveman fanboy, but I just noticed that Ravemen PR series have two leds for high and low beams. Anybody try this for paved bike trail riding?

Would welcome other suggestions!

mtbr member
    Does sound like what you need is a more cut-off specific type of light. Lots of good European options as they are required to have lights that are StVZO compliant (aka a cutoff)
    Outbound Lighting, LIVE on KICKSTARTER!
    https://tinyurl.com/y89cpbas

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply. Doing a search using the terminology and finding much to read....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg81 View Post
    Any recommendations on a light that can be dimmed or turned off easily and not blind oncoming jogger/bike traffic on a paved trail?
    Riding fast on an MUP is really not a good idea but people do what they are gonna do. That said the answer to your problem could be that you need a two lamp system. I ride MUP's myself and this is what I suggest; Buy or use a small lamp like the Raveman CR-500 or CR-900. Set it up on the bars and aim it so the reach is very short and then set it to one of it's lower modes so you have just enough light to ride without running off the path and then just leave the light on at that setting. Then buy and use another lamp like the Gemini Duo...The Duo uses a wireless remote and turns OFF or ON in less than a second. Use the Duo as your main light. If you see an approaching person or rider, hit the remote and turn it off.

Now the reason I recommend setting the Raveman's to a lower setting is because even though they have a cutoff beam pattern, on their higher modes they're still going to be too bright to head-on approaching traffic. I've tried this out myself so I know.

Now if you want to just use only a Raveman lamp and power that down when seeing traffic than you are going to have to get used to rapid-firing through the different modes with the remote. It can be done but if you see a lot of traffic it's going to be a PITA. The set-up I suggested is the same set-up I use. Much easier to just hit the single button on the Duo and then have the Raveman already on and set to low. A Raveman set to low will run for hours so it's no problem if you just set it to low and let it run.

Usually when I ride the local MUP I'll just use the Raveman ( CR-900 ) and then rapid fire the remote to low if I see people. I usually don't see many people but if I ride at a time of day when there are more people on the path I'll likely set both lamps to low and use the Duo in on/off fashion as I suggested to you. ( BTW, the Duo with duel spot optics works really nice on the bars and is also programmable. If you buy one be sure to order with duel spot optics or otherwise you get the lousy med-floods ) When on the road I'll generally just use a 2-cell battery and that works for me.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I was reading your review of the CR-900 and the PR-1200 and was going to ask you in a reply in that thread, while secretly hoping that you would reply to my thread.

I'm a relative noob to riding on MUP, and I don't disagree with you about the dangers in riding fast...some walkers/joggers have zero reflective gear and they come up super fast.

I'm hoping that a good light setup would mitigate the dangers, but now I'm thinking that it's best to not go so fast....maybe go fast before 5 am when there is zero traffic and after the sun goes up. But I realize that even with full sunlight, people might still wander on the trail in the way I'm wandering off topic....

I might try the low light beam setting on the Bontrager 700 lumen light and have it pointed severely downward and get the Gemini Duo, which looks super cool w/the wireless remote that has a power switch. Or get the CR-900....decisions, decisions....

mtbr member
    If you really want to dive into the technical, this website is pretty exhaustive.

https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/te.../index_en.html

The light I am developing will have a road-specific beam pattern, however that'll still be a few months away from being able to be purchased. Kickstarter coming soon though!
    Outbound Lighting, LIVE on KICKSTARTER!
    https://tinyurl.com/y89cpbas

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    If the OP considers Gemini lights the remote can operate multiple lights and wil dim to low power with one button push (you hold it down and you go back to your selected power level once you release).

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Idea! lights with remote control or cut-off beam

If you're looking for lights with remote control:

• Fenix BC30
    • Fenix BC30R
    • Fenix BTR20
    • Garmin Varia HL-500
    • Gloworm Lights with remote
    • Lupine Lights with remote
    • Magicshine Lights with remote
    • Niteye B-20
    • Out-Led Hellena
    • Sigma Buster 2000

Battery powered cut-off beam lights:

• B&M IQ-X Speed
    • B&M Ixon IQ Premium
    • B&M Ixon Space
    • Büchel Sky Valley
    • Garmin Varia HL-500
    • Lupine SL A
    • Outbound Lighting Focal Series
    • Philips ActiveRide
    • Specialized Flux Expert
    • Trelock LS 760 I-GO
    Last edited by angerdan; 11-02-2017 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Your list is incomplete.

As noted above Gemini lights have a remote switch.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Theres a ton out there with remotes. That list is probably a little over half the brands with remotes. And thats not counting "cheap" lights.

A few with cut-off beams are missing too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Should be enough for the TO to find a lead.
    Feel free to post a more comprehensive list.

mtbr member
    Just so people know; The reason for recommending the Duo was not just because of the wireless remote but because the remote will turn on or off almost instantaneously. Not all lamps with remotes do that. If I were to rethink my recommendation I might also recommend the new Gloworm X2 even more because ( supposedly )** it's new wireless remote turns off without delay as well. Not too many people have one of those yet but if I had a choice I'd much rather have the new X2. The Gloworms have always been a more superior product and the upgraded X2 should be a very nice lamp for either helmet or bars, not to mention the GW optic choice has always been better too.

Adding to that a quick plug for ActionLED, Jim can provide NW LED's for either lamp if the buyer so desires.

(**edit; This statement turned out to be wrong. )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-03-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: wrong statement

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just point the light down some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Some bontrager ion lights are remote ready out of the box, I'm not sure how to check though. And yes, just pointing the light down so it's not shining in people's faces is usually all that's necessary.

mtbr member
    I just sent an email to Gloworm asking about shutoff, as their website indicates that you have to hold down a button (light button or remote button?) for five seconds. The wireless remote manual explains that either button can be used to turn off, but the manual doesn't say how long you have to hold the button. If Gloworm is instantaneous shutoff, then I'm getting the Gloworm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm a huge fan of the blitzu cyborg series of lights for MUP riding. They use a diffuse beam of LED lights that lights the trail well enough, but I don't think is blinding to oncoming traffic like a focused beam is.

They're $20 to $25 on amazon, USB recharge, last for hours and hours, easy to mount, etc

No they don't turn off quickly, but I don't think they need to either if they're pointed just slightly down. Best of both worlds

mtbr member
    I'm thinking that the best set up would be to get the GW X2 or Gemini Duo and use my Bontrager Ion700. I would tape up the Bontrager so that I cutoff the light in the horizontal and vertical direction using masking tape, to minimize the light that is shining toward the oncoming bike/jogger traffic on the left. I sort of do this with my fingers.

I like this setup as I could still have some light projecting forward so I don't run over any jogger going in my direction when the main lights are shut off.

Of course, better suggestions are welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ( BTW, the Duo with duel spot optics works really nice on the bars and is also programmable. If you buy one be sure to order with duel spot optics or otherwise you get the lousy med-floods ).
    Cat, I got a reply from Gemini re the optics and they said "The Duo 1500 Lumens uses two of the same optics. They are both evenly spread 15-degree FWHM optics with high efficiency. Shining them up against a wall and there is no visible hotspot, just an even spread of light. On the trails this allows for a better distribution of light."

Does this mean they have the preferred dual spot optics or the med floods? Funny, I actually know what FWHM means, but not sure what this means in terms of what kind of optics the light has.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I just sent an email to Gloworm asking about shutoff, as their website indicates that you have to hold down a button (light button or remote button?) for five seconds. The wireless remote manual explains that either button can be used to turn off, but the manual doesn't say how long you have to hold the button. If Gloworm is instantaneous shutoff, then I'm getting the Gloworm.
    I believe the new X2's have the same trail and commuter mode sequence as previous models which would mean that to turn the light off you would have to press and hold then go through a dim (5%) mode on the trail and a flashing mode on the commuter program before doing to off. Gemini just go's directly to off with press and hold. 5% power of the dim mode in the trail program may work for you and the commuter program is a level programmable Hi/Low 2 setting program so possible to set low to approx. 170 lumens which I would think would be fine too.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I believe the new X2's have the same trail and commuter mode sequence as previous models which would mean that to turn the light off you would have to press and hold then go through a dim (5%) mode on the trail and a flashing mode on the commuter program before doing to off. Gemini just go's directly to off with press and hold. 5% power of the dim mode in the trail program may work for you and the commuter program is a level programmable Hi/Low 2 setting program so possible to set low to approx. 170 lumens which I would think would be fine too.
    Mole
    Oh damn. Not often that my memory fails me but I could of swore that someone said the new remotes on the new GW wireless UI were, " instant off". When I posted that I was getting ready for work and didn't have time to recheck the Gloworm thread. After going back and looking at the latest Gloworm thread I found the post and yes MrMole it seems you are right, the new Gloworm wireless remotes are not "instant off" much to my dismay.

@pegleg81; About the Duo optics.. The stock optics that come with the Duo, man I just didn't know what to call them. Obviously they are designed with a slightly wider beam pattern. Been a while since I looked at them but when I ( just now ) try them out by shining on a wall what I see is a very large round confined bright spot. By "confined" I mean there is not a smooth transition to outer spill. First time I tried them out I just didn't like what I saw. Then again I can't remember now if I tried them on the bars or not since my plan was to use them on the helmet. All I know is when I ordered two spot optics it changed everything. Tighter hot spot, more throw and still some good left over spill.

Comparing the Duo standard optics to the Gloworm med-floods the GW's have a more evenly dispersed beam pattern ( in my opinion ). That is why I use the GW X2 on the bars with one med-flood optic and one spot.

Oh and BTW I still use the Duo with duel spots on my road bike although only when I need high beams. The wireless remote is great for "instant on/off function" and the second button on the remote is great for press/hold momentary high beam ( or momentary low depending on which mode you are in )

mtbr member
    As always, much thanks to everyone's replies, including CMD's.

But I gotta say, man, the Lupine stuff with all the customization is looking really cool....analysis, paralysis!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Mole
    Rechecked above information by pulling out my Duo & 2017 X2. As recalled the Duo maybe takes around a half second to turn off, X2 from trail mode to full off about 3 seconds and in commuter mode pretty much instantaneous from high to low. Had my light meter handy so I checked X2's dim mode (trail) and 10% level in the commuter program and got identical readings of approx. 140 lumens (est. from lux readings). Specs. said 5% in dim mode but didn't test out that way so 140 lumens is as low as you can get with the 2017 X2.
    Mole

mtbr member
    As always, much thanks to everyone's replies, including CMD's.

But I gotta say, man, the Lupine stuff with all the customization is looking really cool....analysis, paralysis!!!!!
    I hear ya. Lupine has some nice stuff. When you start looking at all the different light sets it's so easy to get overwhelmed trying to decide what you want to buy. That's why it's important that you decide before hand what your priorities are and that you stick to them no matter what the temptation. Everyone has different priorities so here are mine ( in order of importance )...

Beam pattern and total luminous output: This is the core function of what a lamp does. Buying a lamp that allows the user to choose different optics is a very big plus. Of course it helps big time if you already know what type of beam pattern you are wanting and how you plan to use it. Still, a lamp that is versatile with it's optical set-up is a big plus as this lets the user dial in the desired beam pattern of choice.

Luminous output is of course something set and designed into the lamp. More light is always better but not everyone needs more light. It's not just about the lumen output but about how those lumen are used and why optical design and choice is the more important issue.

User Interface: Second only to beam pattern. The UI lets the user choose how much output is needed for the moment. Not all UI's are the same so it's important to know what type you like the most. Some just go up/down and others are cyclic. Some have more modes than others and as was discussed before, some turn on or off easier that others.

Overall usability: This involves many things including UI so depending on the overall usability this is what is often times lost when deciding which lamp to buy. Sometimes it's the little things that get forgotten. How well does the lamp mount to the bike or helmet...Is the lamp easy to aim once mounted...Are there multiple mounting options... Quick release?...Is the mode button or buttons easy to access...Is there a remote option....does the battery mount well on the bike...Is the lamp programmable...Does the lamp manage heat well? Does the seller or manufacturer of the lamp offer the buyer a choice of emitter tint? So, so many things that make a great bike light. Rarely do you get all in one package so you have to pick and choose what factors are the most important to you, the end user.

Customer Service: No one wants a lamp to fail but sometimes even the best of products have problems. Vendor / customer service should not be forgotten when buying a good set-up. Once you start spending over $200 for a lamp setup the last thing you want is to have problems with the Service if you need to have the lamp repaired. A good Vendor and or Manufacturer stands by the quality of their product and will generally have a decent warranty program for the lamp and the battery.

mtbr member

How to turn a lamp instantly off

I've though about doing this for some time now but now I think I might as well do it. I'm going to install an in-line switch onto the extension wire I use. I'll set it up so it hangs just off the helmet. That way all I have to do in reach behind the helmet and hit the switch. Cut the power and all lamps turn off instantaneously. For me this will work because I've already had a couple times where my fingers were almost burned while turning off my XP3. Waiting for a lamp to power down while holding down a button is one thing, getting burned while doing so is another.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Using an wireless remote control which controls all helmet&bar lights would be easier
    Lupine and Magicshine make it possible with their newest bluetooth remote controlls.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Much easier with a wireless remote paired to both the helmet and bar lights. Especially an instant on/off remote.

That’s one reason the OP should also consider Gemini.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Op doesnt need all that to ride MUP.

A bar light with a cut off is plenty.

Definatally doesnt need to spend 2-300 on a full on wireless mountain set up. No need to helmet lights (and helmet light would be 10x as blinding to joggers and other users) defeating the OPs primary concern. MUP your not doing 20mph through trees on the dirt with tight corners and so on. MUP is much the same as driving on the road. No need for a search light on the roof to drive around at 70mph

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    It would be helpful if you read the entire thread, including the OP’s responses, before replying.