mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Light AND battery on helmet

I own a Magicshine MS900 and a MiNewt 150 Plus, which I originally bought as a commuter light. I typically ride with the MS900 on my helmet and the MiNewt on my bars, as would be expected. However, I truly hate dealing with the battery being in my pack, and I generally don't wear jersey's with rear pockets for mountain biking.

That said, I love the simplicity of the MiNewt when the light and battery are mounted onto my helmet. When it comes to lights that are easy to mount that way I think my affordable options are the MiNewt 350, Cygolite MityCross, and possibly the TrailLED 500L.

I like the TrailLED as the best mix of price and performance, but I am not sure how well it would work all on the helmet.

Can anyone give me insight as to other options, or just what they have had success using as an all on the helmet option?
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    For commuting/street, check out the Light&Motion Vis360. Not powerful enough for trail rides, but I love the form factor for commuting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That is a great form factor. I should have been more clear. This will be used for trail riding. Mostly fast singletrack, with some techy rocky trails thrown in. I will probably still use the Minewt for commuting. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
    For commuting/street, check out the Light&Motion Vis360. Not powerful enough for trail rides, but I love the form factor for commuting.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    TrailLED or Ameoba

very similar lights... one of these will be my next light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I use a MS900 on the bars and a DX 5 mode torch on my helmet. It's not the best setup but I like not having any wires from my helmet to my pack. And it's relatively light on the helmet.

I also think the Amoeba or TrailLED would be a good choice.

I may throw a diffuser on the MS900 to help with the close in lighting and let the torch handle down the trail.

Old-newbie
    Do you like the MS on the helmet? I have ridden that light with the pack mounted horizontally at the back of the helmet. The trick is to keep the lighthead as far forward as possible, and the bat-pack centered and aft. I did not use the klungy strap-on piece-o-bar mount. My helmet had a central cross-bar that I could wrap the o-ring around.

If you can stand the package, the Exposure Diablo looks like a good light. Personally I can't stand having a light up on top of my helmet, so the Diablo was a no-go. However, I still plan to get one as a backup/flashlight/geektoy.

The Lupine Piko was a very nice package, although I didn't like the beam pattern.

The most painless helmet installation that I have tried to date is the Ayup system. Very compact, very light weight, and they fold down out of the way in the daytime. Their mounts are very well thought out.

I currently use a Lupine Wilma on the helmet. The 4-pack battery mounts to the bottom-rear of the helmet, and the lighthead mounts below the chin bar. Unusual, but it rocks! I am still not thrilled with the beam pattern.

There is another option. I rode for years with the lighthead low and forward on the helmet. The extension cable routes to the back of the helmet, down my back, through a belt loop, and runs to the battery pack on my belt. This tethers the helmet to my body (minor nuisance) but I can throw off my pack to grab a camera without interference. The MS soft battery case actually works pretty well on a belt. It is also very easy to change out packs with this setup, in case you need more run time.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Exposure Diablo is $220 including shipping now. It has a massive high setting (short runtime on that) and it's self contained. I just bought one today because I want to replace my dinotte 400L for this exact reason. The light + battery on the helmet is just too heavy to do an all day ride.

ballbuster

I made my own battery

Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor
    I own a Magicshine MS900 and a MiNewt 150 Plus, which I originally bought as a commuter light. I typically ride with the MS900 on my helmet and the MiNewt on my bars, as would be expected. However, I truly hate dealing with the battery being in my pack, and I generally don't wear jersey's with rear pockets for mountain biking.

That said, I love the simplicity of the MiNewt when the light and battery are mounted onto my helmet. When it comes to lights that are easy to mount that way I think my affordable options are the MiNewt 350, Cygolite MityCross, and possibly the TrailLED 500L.

I like the TrailLED as the best mix of price and performance, but I am not sure how well it would work all on the helmet.

Can anyone give me insight as to other options, or just what they have had success using as an all on the helmet option?
    ... for my MS light. Couple of 18650 cells off of dealextreme.com, I robed the trailtech connector off of my dead MS battery, and a velcro strap. I made a half sized lightweight battery that can strap directly to the back of the helmet, and connects right to the MS head. I still get 1:45 of runtime on high, but I usually run the lid on low or medium power. I think I spent a total of about $18 on building it.

mtbr member
    +1 - exactly what I was going to recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... for my MS light. Couple of 18650 cells off of dealextreme.com, I robed the trailtech connector off of my dead MS battery, and a velcro strap. I made a half sized lightweight battery that can strap directly to the back of the helmet, and connects right to the MS head. I still get 1:45 of runtime on high, but I usually run the lid on low or medium power. I think I spent a total of about $18 on building it.

"It looks flexy"

ballbuster
    Oh, and I put two 3/8" thick, 1/2" wide weather stripping scraps on the back, so there is something to compress down when you snug the velcro strap. That way, it conforms to uneven surfaces, and doesn't rattle around or work loose.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-24-2010 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    So glad that works. That was the solution I was hoping for. I still dislike how high the MS sits on top of the helmet, but that is a good solution for now. I may get the Mity Cross in the future and run the MS on the bars, but this will work great for now.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    for my taste,
    - battery has to be under 100gr
    - light head has to be under 100gr
    - light head to be sticking out less than an inch
    - still have 500 lumen
    - also run on 4 cell battery

so far lupine piko looks to be the best candidate.

----
    work in progress, http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com/

mtbr member
    You could make a 4 cell pack with those 1/2 of 18650 sized cells.

Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101
    for my taste,
    - battery has to be under 100gr
    - light head has to be under 100gr
    - light head to be sticking out less than an inch
    - still have 500 lumen
    - also run on 4 cell battery

so far lupine piko looks to be the best candidate.

----
    work in progress, http://www.mtbl.robs-x.com/
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    You could make a 4 cell pack with those 1/2 of 18650 sized cells.
    Design question: Would you guys rather have an all-on-top helmet light system that is self contained, or would you rather have an independent light head and battery?

We are at a point where we are designing new systems for 2012, it'd be great to get input from everyone on this.

In other news...we have a new system that will debut next month that is designed for mounting the entire system on your helmet. We will begin to show it and really talk about it at the 24hrs in the Old Pueblo in Arizona next month. It's not quite the firebreather that a Strykr or Strykr Pro is but it is insanely lightweight and compact, with a couple of features I think you lads/lasses are going to like.
    Last edited by Baja Designs; 01-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I would vote for separate because you can balance your helmet. Unless it's like the Exposure with 1 cell inside, 1.5+hours of run time with an option to plug an additional cell in for more runtime.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I'm very happy with my Ay Up setup. 153 grams. It has a very tight focus of 400 lumens.

If I had kown about the Amoeba before my purchase I would have considered it.

I won't purchase another NR product because of the cost of replacement/spare batteries.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here is an option that looks to be a good deal:

http://www.bikebling.com/Cygolite-Mi...ycross-400.htm

+10% OFF Coupon code worked for me yesterday: Stimulus

I ordered the Cygolite Centauri 1000 yesterday for $323 shipped - could not resist. I received UPS tracking today and shows I will receive it on Friday.
    Last edited by Brooks04; 01-03-2011 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    I really like the Exposure concept, with the whole light being self-contained. The burntime and the need to buy a piggy back seems to be the only negative.