mtbr member

Light + batteries under 60$

Hi guys!

The spring is here, and I am looking for a new light for my bike. I've been thinking to try and make another 3x XM-L homemade build, but because of lack of time and interest, i will buy one that is already made.

The light will be bought from DX, and one of the lights that caught my eye, is this one:

RUSTU D30 3-Cree XM-L T6 2300lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Headlamp retail - Black + Red (6 x 18650)

I am looking for a THROWER, with baterries under 55-60$, so if there are any better lights in this range of price, suggest me another one.

Thanks!
    Chris.

PS: Sorry for double posting, but i've been told that i would have bigger chances that someone reply me, if the thread was in the "Lights and Night Riding" forum.

The other thread can be deleted.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Well?

mtbr member
    Things have been quiet lately. Don't know why you would limit your search by only buying through D/X but to each their own. The same lamp you linked to is offered in a 4-mode by D/X. It should have decent throw.

mtbr member
    You mean, this one?

Cree XM-L T6 3600lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Light & Headlight - Grey (6 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Searching through DX forum i managed to find out that ALL the lights drivers are limited to 2-2.3A output, to prevent overheating and poor battery life. So, the 4 LED version shouldn't be much brighter than the 3 LED version, because of this limitation.

The reason for opening a new thread was the demand for a couple of nightshots with this light, and other thoughts about the light in general (quality, battery life, etc...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I haven't seen any threads about the Rusto. The people that bought the triple xml, picked a slightly different one:
    New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

I don't think anyone has bought that Rusto model. Don't expect the batteries to be any good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    You mean, this one?

Cree XM-L T6 3600lm 3-Mode White Bicycle Light & Headlight - Grey (6 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Searching through DX forum i managed to find out that ALL the lights drivers are limited to 2-2.3A output, to prevent overheating and poor battery life. So, the 4 LED version shouldn't be much brighter than the 3 LED version, because of this limitation.

The reason for opening a new thread was the demand for a couple of nightshots with this light, and other thoughts about the light in general (quality, battery life, etc...)
    No, I meant this one. Same one you were looking at in the OP only this one is 4-mode with 4-cell battery.

mtbr member
    The other one has 3 mode (the less, the better... i wish the light didn't have any strobe/SOS/etc...), and 6x18650 batteries.

Isn't that a better option? I mean, it has a 2S3P battery config, that should last longer.

mtbr member
    The other one has 3 mode (the less, the better... i wish the light didn't have any strobe/SOS/etc...), and 6x18650 batteries.

Isn't that a better option? I mean, it has a 2S3P battery config, that should last longer.
    When buying a lamp you have to consider all the angles ( functionality/output/ beam pattern/ battery quality & capacity )
    and then choose something that best works for you. Personally I like a lamp with at least three usable steady modes ( L-M-H ). Unfortunately the cheaper lights tend to include a strobe mode that most of the time is included in the main menu. There are exceptions to that rule but you have to look hard to find one.

Right now the Ultrafire 4 x XM-L lamp is one of those "exceptions" and has some nice features ( 4 mode including a press and hold strobe ). Down side is it only comes with a 4 cell battery and will run hot if kept in high mode too long. Kaidomain sells a similar version that comes with a 6 cell. No telling though how good the capacity is on these cheap 6 cell batteries. In my opinion you might be better off just buying a cheap tri-clone and then buying a proven 6-cell battery from another vendor. It will go over that $60 mark ( to maybe $90 ) but you will get a better battery with longer run time. All said, take a good look at the Solarstorm 2 x XM-L. This is one of the better deals right now.

mtbr member
    Ok, i think that i will remain on this moddel.

I like the 4 mode thing, especially hold to strobe function.

Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You should read the thread about that 4 xml. I think it's a piece of junk. Very poor heat conduction.

mtbr member
    Ummmm... And if i try to modd it?

Like adding extra thermal grease to it? I supose the body assembly has no or few thermal grease, and adding a new one would help a bit.

Would that help the heat conduction?

mtbr member
    Ummmm... And if i try to modd it?

Like adding extra thermal grease to it? I supose the body assembly has no or few thermal grease, and adding a new one would help a bit.

Would that help the heat conduction?
    Well you can try to mod it but I really wouldn't expect to see a big difference unless you can change the design of the external light head by adding some finning. varider is correct as far as the quad XM-L having issues with heat. Not sure I would call it junk but hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one soon to find out for myself for sure. If there is a major problem with the lamp powering down too quickly I hope to be able to confirm that and then let people know.

The Tri-clone I own heats up real quick but has no thermal monitoring cut-off circuitry. I can only imagine that the quad will heat up even faster ( when on Hi ). Since the quad is suppose to have thermal circuitry I'm hoping to confirm how usable ( or unusable ) this circuitry is. A while back I tested a MagicShine 808E and had it cut-off after only 6 minutes ( with no air-flow ) With proper air-flow it worked as expected without any problems. If the multi-LED configurations have an Achilles heel, heat dissipation/thermal cut-off will likely be it's major flaw.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 04-03-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: spellling

mtbr member
    Ok, then... i will remain at this model:

$46.54 SolarStorm X2 Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 2000-Lumen LED Bicycle Bike Light - black / 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Any thoughts? Nightshots? Quality of build?

Considering the optics, it should have a decent throw, with minimal spill, am i right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Well you can try to mod it but I really wouldn't except to see a big difference unless you can change the design of the external light head by adding some finning. varider is correct as far as the quad XM-L having issues with heat. Not sure I would call it junk but hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one soon to find out for myself for sure. If there is a major problem with the lamp powering down too quickly I hope to be able to confirm that and then let people know.

The Tri-clone I own heats up real quick but has no thermal monitoring cut-off circuitry. I can only imagine that the quad will heat up even faster ( when on Hi ). Since the quad is suppose to have thermal circuitry I'm hoping to confirm how usable ( or unusable ) this circuitry is. A while back I tested a MagicShine 808E and had it cut-off after only 6 minutes ( with no air-flow ) With proper air-flow it worked as expected without any problems. If the multi-LED configurations have an Achilles heel, heat dissipation/thermal cut-off will likely be it's major flaw.
    Did you see romaosl's post last week:
    4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???

4 leds sitting on a thin little disk that isn't attached to the outside. Even if it was welded to the outside it would still hot because it's too thin. He says it overheats at 50F!

Khrystyan27, there's plenty of options for under $60. Why not go with something that is proven, or at least been used by several people on the forum. Read the other threads.

I agree that he fasttech light seem like a good light, and it's a very good deal at that price. I'm thinking of getting one myself. But no one has used one before. However I wouldn't expect much from that battery. The battery is the Achilles heel of these ultra-cheap lights. They might work great, they might fail in three months, explode while you are charging them, or have half of the capacity that's stated in the advertisement. You won't know in advance.

If you want a battery that will last, you can get one from Action LED Lights for $35. He has a 6-months warranty.

mtbr member
    'Till sumer (June-July), i have plenty time to think, and lock on a good model.

I want a light ONLY for throw. I have 2x XM-L for legal road use and flood (check my threads), but that little light hasn't got enough throw, as i would like and now i want a light with big throw power to aid the one that i already have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you want a light w/ throw, why not just buy one of the single XML either T-6 or U-2's. They are bright, run well w/ the 4 by 18650 configuration and they don't overheat. You can buy one for the bars and one for the helmet. Get the orange peel reflector for the bar light and the smooth reflector for the helmet.

They are about $35 delivered on Ebay. That's only 70 bucks and you get 2 lights.

As far as the cheap Chinese lights go, they're probably the best choice as they are simple.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Did you see romaosl's post last week:
    4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???

4 leds sitting on a thin little disk that isn't attached to the outside. Even if it was welded to the outside it would still hot because it's too thin. He says it overheats at 50F!...

Yes, I did see his post. From what he described the build is very similar to other cheap Chinese made bike lights so that was no surprise to me. When you buy a bike light and battery for $60 chances are you aren't going to get something with superior design. It just goes with the territory.

He also mentioned that the quad lamp worked fine when used in mid-mode. I figure it's quite possible that the temperature monitoring circuit on the one he has is a little too sensitive, hence the quick power-down. No way to know for sure without at least one other second opinion.

When it comes to reviews on cheap Chinese lamps you have to remember that people who are happy with the lamps usually never bother to post a review. On the other hand people who don't like what they bought or feel they got cheated won't hesitate to post a review. These lamps have been out quite a while now and still there are few reviews. So far I see one negative review, that's not enough to completely dis the product. If other people start to have the same problem than yes, I would agree that it would be best to leave these multi-Led configurations alone. Anyway, I'll be getting one for review purposes but if back-ordered it may take a while to get to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    If you want a light w/ throw, why not just buy one of the single XML either T-6 or U-2's. They are bright, run well w/ the 4 by 18650 configuration and they don't overheat. You can buy one for the bars and one for the helmet. Get the orange peel reflector for the bar light and the smooth reflector for the helmet.

They are about $35 delivered on Ebay. That's only 70 bucks and you get 2 lights.

As far as the cheap Chinese lights go, they're probably the best choice as they are simple.

MB
    No way... I don't want so many battery packs and lights around my bars.

I will buy the SolarStorm X2 and modd it (bigger battery pack if needed, and maybe change the optics if it doesn't throw far away).

mtbr member
    I've seen another sollution, with a little bugget overrun.

This one:

$67.23 TrustFire TR-D009 CREE XML-T6 4-Mode 2100-Lumen 3-LED Bike Light - 4*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

- 1x 3X XM-L
    - MJ-880 design
    - Remote switch
    - Nice design

What do you say?

Which one?

SolarStorm? MJ-880 clone or this one?