mtbr member

Lezyne Super Drive XL vs Light & Motion Urban 550 / 700

OK the idiots at Amazon screwed me up again. They just love to group totally different products on one page. I thought i was selecting color of the light, in reality they were not only different color, but different models as well:

Amazon.com: Light and Motion Urban 550 Lumens Bike Light (Galaxy Grey): Sports & Outdoors

you gotta love those idiots ! they have one model number clearly stated on top of the page and another on the bottom. IDIOTS ! ! !

anyway, so i thought wow Urban 550 for $70 is a great deal ! but actually it's $120 ...

which brings us to Lezyne Super Drive XL ... which is $80 ... well appears to be $80

Amazon.com: Lezyne Super Drive Xl LED Front Light (Black): Sports & Outdoors

because on another page on Amazon its double that ...

of course i just want to use these lights as a front blinky. i have no intention of illuminating anything with them - they aren't powerful enough for that.

some idiot in the review of SuperDrive said the light is "bright as can be" i just voted his review "not useful" and decided not to tell him how dumb he is ... at least that idiot didn't say it was brighter than the sun !

anyway so i certainly think L&M is a better light maker, but i have two Lezyne pumps and they are great ( certainly comared to Topeak pumps ) and the design of the SuperDrive XL is certainly clever.

so why not just get SuperDrive XL then ?

well a few reasons:

1 - the flash pattern on Urban is much more effective. the pattern on Lezyne is too slow. remember i am getting this light ONLY for the flash pattern, so this is very important !

2 - with the mount it is 160 grams versus 112 grams for Uban of the same output, that is 550 lumens. in fact i can also get a 700 lumen Urban that still weighs 112 grams but i probably wouldn't spend the extra money. but anyway, the Lezyne is much larger and heavier for the same output.

here: compare the size and weight ( both lights measured with bar mounts ):

3 - amazon reviews for the Urban seem to be better, than for SuperDrive XL.

the battery in SuperDrive being standard and replaceable is on the one hand a sort of insurance in case battery goes bad, on the other hand L&M has much more experience making lights so it is a greater risk buying from a new company on the market like Lezyne.

what do you think ? does anybody own either / both of these ?

do you know any videos that show the flash pattern of SuperDrive XL ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The urban 700 does not have a flash mode. It is only a pulse mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    The urban 700 does not have a flash mode. It is only a pulse mode.
    damn, great catch ! that's why the 700 only has 12 hour on pulse when 550 has 18 hour on flash. because one is a pulse and one is a flash.

well then screw them both. should just go with Dinotte 400L ...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep dinotte 400L is the better choice. Maybe with all those lights on your helmet to bring visibility up high above carlines there won't be a need for the bar end lights and the spoke lights etc anymore. You have 270 degrees of blinks stuff around your helmet with:

2 x Seca 1700 on front of helmet
    1 X Dinotte 400R on back of helmet
    2 X NiteFlux Red Zone 8 on each side of helmet

That helmet has got to be heavy and possibly fatiguing with that much stuff on it.

PLUS more blinking on seat post with Dinotte 400R
    PLUS more blinking on front bar with Dinotte 400L
    And then solid front area fill with Dosun 400.

Wow.... That is a ton of stuff going on. Lol.

mtbr member
    Yep dinotte 400L is the better choice. Maybe with all those lights on your helmet to bring visibility up high above carlines there won't be a need for the bar end lights and the spoke lights etc anymore. You have 270 degrees of blinks stuff around your helmet with:

2 x Seca 1700 on front of helmet
    1 X Dinotte 400R on back of helmet
    2 X NiteFlux Red Zone 8 on each side of helmet

PLUS more blinking on seat post with Dinotte 400R
    PLUS more blinking on front bar with Dinotte 400L
    And then solid front area fill with Dosun 400.

Wow.... That is a ton of stuff going on. Lol.
    270 degrees ? somebody needs to brush up on their geometry i'm pretty sure that would be 360 degrees ...

i can't get rid of bar end lights because then i will have holes at the end of my bar, plus it's not like i could sell them ...

as for spoke lights - i think they are useful as part of any setup because they clearly make you look like a bike, however certainly with good helmet side lighting the need for spoke light brightness will be greatly reduced - which is good - because i won't be able to use the super-bright spoke lights any more ...

the two problems i see with this scenario is:

1 - a lot of electricity around the head is probably not healthy

2 - will be difficult to talk to people ( like cops ) with all the lights on the helmet ...

even so, i think the benefits outweigh the downsides ...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    270 degrees ? somebody needs to brush up on their geometry i'm pretty sure that would be 360 degrees ...

i can't get rid of bar end lights because then i will have holes at the end of my bar, plus it's not like i could sell them ...

as for spoke lights - i think they are useful as part of any setup because they clearly make you look like a bike, however certainly with good helmet side lighting the need for spoke light brightness will be greatly reduced - which is good - because i won't be able to use the super-bright spoke lights any more ...
    From a placement perspective it is 270 degrees around the helmet. The front two lights are not blinking and because of their output you probably won't see any blinking for the front of the helmet. . So I stand by my geometry. Haha

mtbr member
    From a placement perspective it is 270 degrees around the helmet. The front two lights are not blinking and because of their output you probably won't see any blinking for the front of the helmet. . So I stand by my geometry. Haha
    ok i see what you're saying, but that's ok, i will settle for 270 degrees of helmet blink ...