Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Lezyne mega drive

I just got this light and it certainly is bright. However, I've done two night rides with it and it has popped off the handle bar mounts each time. Never had this problem with any of my NRs. I suspect it may be caused by me adjusting the angle as I was riding. I've adjusted the NRs without issues while in motion (swapped from other bike and didn't like the angle on the trail). My take away is the Mega Drive can pop off rather easily. Obviously, I will not touch the light on the next ride to determine whether it's a design/manufacturing defect or caused by me.

Anyone else have similar issues? How do you folks like the light?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Apparently not.

mtbr member
    Can you jiggle the light off the mount with your hand? It should lock in unless you're pushing the disengagement lever. If it does come off with gentle/normal effort, you may want to contact Lezyne and see about a replacement mount before it pops off during a technical downhill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Can you jiggle the light off the mount with your hand? It should lock in unless you're pushing the disengagement lever. If it does come off with gentle/normal effort, you may want to contact Lezyne and see about a replacement mount before it pops off during a technical downhill.
    This is what I've learned. If you apply a little bit of pressure to the rear of the light in a downward direction, it pops the light a hair above the clip that holds it in. As you gain speed down the technical downhill, the light falls off the bike. It happened twice now. I've realized not to make any adjustments without looking at the clip to see the light is locked in. I don't think its the greatest locking design. Seems a bit flimsy to me, but I'll see how it holds up the next few rides without touching it.

I did call Lezyne and they are of the opinion I didn't properly secure it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Boy View Post
    I just got this light and it certainly is bright. However, I've done two night rides with it and it has popped off the handle bar mounts each time. Never had this problem with any of my NRs. I suspect it may be caused by me adjusting the angle as I was riding. I've adjusted the NRs without issues while in motion (swapped from other bike and didn't like the angle on the trail). My take away is the Mega Drive can pop off rather easily. Obviously, I will not touch the light on the next ride to determine whether it's a design/manufacturing defect or caused by me.

Anyone else have similar issues? How do you folks like the light?
    Wouldn't surprise me if the mount was the problem. Lezyne wouldn't be the first company to produce a self-contained lamp that had problems with the handlebar mount.

You might want to take the lamp on a couple day rides and move it around to see what happens. If the lamp is truly locked in the clip I would think you would hear an audible "click". No way should the lamp come out just because you moved the adjustment on the bars. Until you get things figured out you might want to tether the lamp so it doesn't fall too far if it comes off the mount.

mtbr member
    If you apply a little bit of pressure to the rear of the light in a downward direction, it pops the light a hair above the clip that holds it in.
    I can see that as an issue. I was curious since i'm about to pull the trigger on the Super Drive and i think it uses the same mount. I'm pretty cautious about making sure my light is secure even after i fiddle with it. I will watch for this issue when i get mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if the mount was the problem. Lezyne wouldn't be the first company to produce a self-contained lamp that had problems with the handlebar mount.

You might want to take the lamp on a couple day rides and move it around to see what happens. If the lamp is truly locked in the clip I would think you would hear an audible "click". No way should the lamp come out just because you moved the adjustment on the bars. Until you get things figured out you might want to tether the lamp so it doesn't fall too far if it comes off the mount.
    I'm gonna take it on a few more rides without adjusting the lamp. If it stays in place, I'll keep it and just be extra cautious about adjusting it.

On a different note, I tried looking for that Gemini Duo and X2 on backcountry.com and don't recall seeing them. I actually bought two mega drives (one for the wife's bike). For what it's worth, I did get these for $160 each with the 20% sale on backcountry.com right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I can see that as an issue. I was curious since i'm about to pull the trigger on the Super Drive and i think it uses the same mount. I'm pretty cautious about making sure my light is secure even after i fiddle with it. I will watch for this issue when i get mine.
    Be careful with it. The light is super strong, but the lens can still be scratched from falling. Never had this issue with my NRs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This is interesting. I read a customer review of the Mega Drive from a UK store - here's what he thought -

"Bought this for road use on the lanes near home. Brilliant light levels, useability and battery life BUT the light flies out of the fitting whenever you hit any road that is even slightly bumpy....in the process of sending back unfortunately (would buy if the fitting is improved)...had to give a POOR performance rating because of this!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingex View Post
    This is interesting. I read a customer review of the Mega Drive from a UK store - here's what he thought -

"Bought this for road use on the lanes near home. Brilliant light levels, useability and battery life BUT the light flies out of the fitting whenever you hit any road that is even slightly bumpy....in the process of sending back unfortunately (would buy if the fitting is improved)...had to give a POOR performance rating because of this!"
    If it keeps happening to me, I'll be doing the same.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Hmmmm...I have been riding it on trail for a while now and that has never happened. What I did notice was that the machined extrusion part that sets into the clamp is a very snug fit and it is easy to think you have the clamp 'latched over' but the plastic tang is not really in place. Try to mount it again and peek at the mount interface, maybe even pressing it up into place with your fingers. Then try and wiggle it loose.

I have last year's Mini Drive on that same clamp and it just snaps into place, no fuss no muss. The Mega is a more difficult fit.

The light is quite well done although I have some things I would like to tweak a bit. Still, it is quite good and made like a little aluminum bank vault.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

metrotuned WoS
    The lezyne has two clamps, a new version 2012+ is aluminum. Maybe try that one? The plastic one leaves a lot to be desired on a 31.8 carbon bar (it slips easily and the knob is hard to turn due to small size and design that doesn't provide enough leverage). I was able to get the lezyne aluminum helmet mount and use my 1st generation Superdrive on the helmet mount, effectively replacing the infamous Magicshine bar light/battery.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    After receiving my Super Drive XL, i don't see how the light could pop out. Granted, i have only mounted and tested with a deal of yanking and wiggling to test its security. No ride yet. Still, the latch overlaps about 2mm and takes a good amount of movement from the lever to disengage the light.

My light is for my helmet or flat ground commute and i may only jar it enough if i crash to duplicate a handlebar mounting. Let us know if you still have problems. Maybe the extra weight is an issue while being properly secured.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Hmmmm...I have been riding it on trail for a while now and that has never happened. What I did notice was that the machined extrusion part that sets into the clamp is a very snug fit and it is easy to think you have the clamp 'latched over' but the plastic tang is not really in place. Try to mount it again and peek at the mount interface, maybe even pressing it up into place with your fingers. Then try and wiggle it loose.

I have last year's Mini Drive on that same clamp and it just snaps into place, no fuss no muss. The Mega is a more difficult fit.

The light is quite well done although I have some things I would like to tweak a bit. Still, it is quite good and made like a little aluminum bank vault.

It wiggles out of place too easily when adjusting the angle of the light. I can avoid it falling off if I don't touch it, but sometimes you just have to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    The lezyne has two clamps, a new version 2012+ is aluminum. Maybe try that one? The plastic one leaves a lot to be desired on a 31.8 carbon bar (it slips easily and the knob is hard to turn due to small size and design that doesn't provide enough leverage). I was able to get the lezyne aluminum helmet mount and use my 1st generation Superdrive on the helmet mount, effectively replacing the infamous Magicshine bar light/battery.
    I am aware of the aluminum clamp. Lezyne said that wouldn't make a difference. I agree about the knob issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    After receiving my Super Drive XL, i don't see how the light could pop out. Granted, i have only mounted and tested with a deal of yanking and wiggling to test its security. No ride yet. Still, the latch overlaps about 2mm and takes a good amount of movement from the lever to disengage the light.

My light is for my helmet or flat ground commute and i may only jar it enough if i crash to duplicate a handlebar mounting. Let us know if you still have problems. Maybe the extra weight is an issue while being properly secured.
    Glad that works for you. I'm returning mine. Already bought two new sets of Gemini Olympia's and really enjoyed those lights on my last ride.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    It wiggles out of place too easily when adjusting the angle of the light. I can avoid it falling off if I don't touch it, but sometimes you just have to.
    So I am not sure what you mean...is it just wiggling side to side, rotating around the bars, or falling out of the clamp entirely?

I tried the light with the resin clamp and one of the rubber inserts in there between the clamp and the bars and the light was moving all over the place. I took the rubber gasket out and moved the resin clamp to the bars at the bulge and then it clamped solid and secure.

I am not so sure that the weight of the light is not too much for the clamp with that gasket in there. That was not an issue with the older lights from them but they were very light.

I took the light out for some beam comparison pics with a Magic Shine Mickey Mouse light MJ-816 (borrowed from a friend). The Mega Drive just crushed it.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use the Megadrive, as well as several people I ride with, none of us has experience their lights popping off the mount, that would be very scary and disconcerting. First I would say that your not mounting it properly, secondly,I would think you have a defective mount, which of course covers all bases.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    As I eluded to above, the problem is that when I adjust the up and down angle of the light during the ride, the light would position itself at the edge of the clip. Thus, when I'd hit the downhill, the light popped off the mount. The clamp stayed in place and the issue wasn't lateral movement, although I wasn't crazy about the swivel the light offered. I like the system the NR Luminas have for lateral movement.

mtbr member
    Ι have the Mega light for one month now, and i use it 3 times a week for am-trail riding. It has already popped off the mount a few times, and now i use it with a zip-tie (agricultural) in order to avoid it. The light itself is great but the mount is rubbish. Maybe for someone who rides in the road or mellow trails is ok, but when it comes to rocky singletrack, the mount can't hold the light..Hope Lezyne will make a new mount, because this one is a reason for not buying the light.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have had similar issues with this light setup, and also thought about fixing with a zip-tie. Im curious how exactly you did that?
    Ive had a few issues with this product. Firstly, the smaller of the two plastic clamps that are supplied, simply doesn't fit. The second one may fit, depending on where along your handle bar you want it, and if the bar is tapering. It seems the lateral movement is determined by how tight you can tighten the bolt, and even if you manage to get it sufficiently tight, over time, say a few weeks, it will start to loosen, and so too the lateral movement in the light will increase. I have had my light completely swivel around while riding because of the weight of the light, and the bolt coming loose. In trying to remedy the problem while riding, i have probably inadvertently, and unknowingly pushed on the locking mechanism, such that 100meters later the light came off, and bounced down the street for a few meters. In fact this has happened more than once. Which leads me on to another weak point in the design- the small metal clasp on the light that holds the battery encasing closed. This was broken when the light bounced down the road. The light itself still worked if i firmly held the casing closed, so i managed to find the clasp pieces on the road and somehow solder them together. BUt its just a matter of time before it breaks again. And it doesnt seem to be a component that lezyne supplies after market, though i have tried.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That sucks for both of you guys to have to deal with the Mega Drive clamps. I actually returned both of the ones I purchased and instead replaced them with four NR Lumina 650s. This is a much better set up.

The LBS told me that they have had some issues with these Lezyne light. They added its better for road than MTB.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ACtually someone at lezyne just told me they'll be introducing a new mount sometime around july. Hopefully that helps, cause I'm not in a hurry to spend more cash on a light

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Indeed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jogood View Post
    ACtually someone at lezyne just told me they'll be introducing a new mount sometime around july. Hopefully that helps, cause I'm not in a hurry to spend more cash on a light
    Anyone used this recently with the new mount and can confirm they are not having this issue?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast