mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Leaving niterider batteries on charger

I have an older night rider light set. Can I leave the batteries on the carger? Does this hurt them?

Also are these pretty decent lights? I acquired them in a trade 3 years ago when they were new. I'm not sure what model they are, all they say is 10.5w on the bottom.

Edit: I found the model Niterider HID rage. I guess they're pretty decent.

Its got what plants crave
    Some of the old Niterider chargers were NOT smart chargers if I recall, so it probably depends on which charger you have. I imagine if it really is the HID Rage then it has a smart charger, but I'm not totally sure.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fighterinsnatch
    I have an older night rider light set. Can I leave the batteries on the carger? Does this hurt them?

Also are these pretty decent lights? I acquired them in a trade 3 years ago when they were new. I'm not sure what model they are, all they say is 10.5w on the bottom.

Edit: I found the model Niterider HID rage. I guess they're pretty decent.
    Hi fighterinsnatch,

I worked at NR for quite a few years and I can tell you that the charger you have is definitely a smart charger. You don't really need to stress too much about pulling the battery off the moment that it is done. However it is a good idea to unplug it once you have noticed that it is done charging, that really goes for any charger from any company, it is just a safer habit to get into.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is true, these days I don't care how "smart" the charger is, almost every product I've dealt with that gets recharged you are better off taking it off the charger once the charge is complete, or reasonably soon after. For whatever reason from labtops to bike lights to cell phones, if they sit on the charger constantly and long term the batteries just don't seem to last as long.

I have buddies that leave their lights on the charger all the time for days/weeks, same with cell phones, labtops, etc. and they seem to constantly have more battery problems than I do.

Best to just get in the habit of unplugging them the next day etc. If they sit for a long time give them a top up charge.