mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Latest DesignShine tailight

Has anyone had confirmation from Stephen (Pethelman) that he's going ahead with another DS-500 build?
    I think I read somewhere that one of his last batch of taillights went to a German customer who had it tested by Lupine and the result was a staggering 830 lumens!
    I missed out last time, and I really hope there's enough interest for him to consider another batch. Maybe he should rename it the DS-830.

mtbr member
    I forget where I read it ( a good while ago ) but I read somewhere that he was planning to expedite some of the manufacturing process to an outside contractor to help speed up the build process for his future lamps...FWIW. I recall him saying that this will shorten the waiting time ( for orders ) considerably. I believe he also said that he would be switching over to the more standard size Li-ion batteries ( 8.4 volt ). Hopefully if I'm wrong about any of this he will correct me at some point.

mtbr member
    His website seems fairly up to date: Design Shine Lighting Forums - Home

Perhaps a post there will get a response.

Tim

mtbr member
    Hey Guys,
    Sorry I missed this earlier... I only check in here on occasion. Yes! I've actually received my first lot of 100 taillight housings from Robert, and they're fantastic! He really does a good job with the bead blast process and maintaining ridiculously tight tolerances. Based on feedback from the all of the previous iterations, there was a universal desire to move to a larger, more tactile power switch. After some tedious trial and error and dimensional tweaking with the silicon mold guys, I finally came up with a dual purpose piece to not only perform the lid seal function, but it also provides the mechanism for depressing the now board-mounted power switch. This required a complete re-layout of the existing MaxFlex board, so I now have a DesignShine(TM)-specific version of the circuit.

I added a couple of additional features as well. There's now a through-hole in the board which allows it to be screwed down directly to the housing without any additional epoxied stand-offs. I also added an on-board, battery status LED.

The result is that now the taillight users will have TWO indications of battery status. First, the on-board LED will be a instantaneous indicator and will illuminate through the silicon membrane and through a small slot in the lid. If the battery is between 50% and 20% capacity (for any given power mode), the status LED will burn steady. At 20% capacity or lower, it will be flashing. You would primarily use this indicator whenever you were turning on the light or adjusting it's power level while you were off the bike.

The second method of battery status reporting is via the main LEDs. This is accomplished by momentarily interrupting the current mode (be it steady or flashing) and tapping out a quick single-flash for 50% to 20% and a double-flash for 20% and lower. This status alert will occur every 20 seconds. The thinking is that it's infrequent enough to be unobtrusive, but frequent enough that you will eventually notice it during the course of normal glances while riding.

For the headlight, I disable the "out-the-front" battery status indication, and the user relies simply on the internal LED. The headlight is just too good, so I wasn't ready to kill it yet. As an aesthetics touch, the power button cover is bright red for the taillight, and white for the headlight, although they're completely interchangeable. I recently outfitted an extreme canoe racing rig with the DS-1300 and remote power switch, and the feedback was great with the side and downward spill light, so who knows, might be another market there.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the Lupine testing integrated ALL of the light, including the side-spill lighting, and from that perspective, it's pretty close to the theoretical output. This next batch is using the 701 Binned RED XPE2, so the output will be a bit higher (still driving at 700mA max). However, when you get to these levels, you don't really notice incremental increases.

I'm also leveraging off of standard off-the-shelf li-ion packs for these lights. Cat-man is correct. They'll be setup for the nominal 7.4V li-ion packs (8.4V is the max voltage of these packs), which has pretty much become the defacto standard these days. Any Magicshine, Gloworm, or Gemini pack will plug-and-play directly, but any 7.4V li-ion pack will work fine after potentially adding a connector or adapter cable.

I'm planning on opening a direct purchase Volusion store-front, but unlike before, I'm only going to sell hardware that I have in hand, rather than maintaining a waiting list. The store site will keep up with "live" inventory count. It's a big financial commitment for a DIY'er, but based on the response of the last couple of years, I think there's still a real demand for a light like this. They're not cheap to make though, which is why I can only make a few hundred right now. We'll see how it goes after that.

As soon as I have all parts in hand and as fast as my technician can crank them out, I'll be turning on the store, probably late September timeframe.

mtbr member
    I'm ready for 3 units.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    I'm ready for 3 units.
    Hey Gharddog, shoot me an email and I'll put you on my early notification email list for the web store.

Thanks

mtbr member
    pethelman, if possible I'd also like early notification for one rear light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    pethelman, if possible I'd also like early notification for one rear light.
    Sure thing PM. Can you send me an email over at my gmail account and I'll get you on the list. Things are moving right along now. Circuit boards, lens covers, and silicon buttons are all arriving this week. I'm also building a super limited group of headlights (around 20), and I'm waiting for those pieces (being finished this week) before taking everything to the anodizers.

Here's a pic I took a while back with one of the build 4 prototypes after I first got my silicon cover back from the mold shop. If you look close, you can see in the picture that the lens cover sticks out a bit in the corners. This is the difference between the build 3 and build 4 profile, with build 4 being more rounded. The new lens covers will obviously match up with the profile of the new housing, and it'll also have a matching chamfer around the front edge, just like you see around the back edge of the housing. The silicon piece works even better than I could have imagined. Even assembled with no grease, I had the housing under a foot of water for 2 days solid with NO leakage.
    Latest DesignShine tailight-new_silicon_cover.jpg
    Last edited by pethelman; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Just got the new lens covers in...
    A few notes:
    The piece you see here has been bead blasted, but will be anodized black exactly like the build 3 model. In the third picture, you can see the dedicated battery status indication slot. This will be visible in the daytime, but at night you also get a cool "halo" glow around the power button. By default the light will have the "out-the-back" battery status enabled, but it can also be disabled. The on-board indicator through the case slot will always be active.

Here are a few comparison shots between build 3 and the current build 4, along with a familiar size comparison. The primary grid on the mat (thick white lines) is spaced at 1 inch. The last image is just me kicking around an attempt at a logo...
    Power button side:
    Latest DesignShine tailight-build4_vs_build3_1.jpg
    Mount side:
    Latest DesignShine tailight-build4_vs_build3_mount_side.jpg
    Battery Status Slot:
    Latest DesignShine tailight-build4_battery_status_window.jpg
    Size Comparison:
    Latest DesignShine tailight-build4_vs_build3_vs_pb.jpg
    Logo? Feedback?
    Latest DesignShine tailight-build4_logo.jpg
    Last edited by pethelman; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Lookin' pretty darn pro to me. I like it!

mtbr member
    Awesome !!!

mtbr member

Latest Greatest

Thought you guys might want to see the latest revision in black! Just got back from the anodizers today. Things are starting to cook now...
    Latest DesignShine tailight-ds500_black_2.jpg
    Latest DesignShine tailight-ds500_black_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Looking awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Got the first two working Build #4 pieces together last night. Everything goes together beautifully. However, we discovered a small quirk with the electrical/mechanical characteristics of the new power switch. This was actually a good thing since it revealed a weakness in the underlying firmware code. The logic for "de-bouncing" the switch is now being tuned appropriately.

Here's a few more product shots, showing a typical seat post mount. I hooked up a battery that was low, so you could see the power button glowing with the medium discharge level battery indication (50%). This starts to flash at 20%.
    Latest DesignShine tailight-ds_product_shot1.jpg

Latest DesignShine tailight-ds_product_shot2.jpg

mtbr member
    Looking good!!