Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Know of a good, inexpensive bar-mounted light?

I recently bought the Gemini Duo for my helmet, but am thinking that it would be good to have a second light, mounted on the bars/stem.

I came across the new Cygo-Lite Metro 500, but it seems to have some reviews which mention poor clamping, and coming loose off road. It's recommended for "moderate" off roading, and we often hit some nasty, rough terrain while night riding, so I don't think it would do.

So does anyone know of a good little light for the bars/stem which is around $75.00 max, and about 250-500 lumens?

Thx.
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

mtbr member
    Self contained?

mtbr member
    Yes, preferably.
    Last edited by Technician; 10-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Anybody?

mtbr member
    I recently got a MagicShine 808 on Amazon for about $75 Not self contained but 1000lumens. pop for a wide lens for about $5 and you have a great commuter light

mtbr member
    Thanks for that, but perhaps I wasn't clear: I don't commute; the lights will only be used for mountain biking (singletrack) at night. As I already have 1500 lumens on the helmet light, I only wish to have around 500 max on the bike. It would be for a little added light which is separate from the movement of my helmet, and also for safety/backup. Good clamping is key as we ride some pretty rough trails, and staying at around $75.00

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I don't know why I was thinking commute. I dont know why you want to limit yourself to a maximum, especially off road. I ride trails that are littered with lava rock (see avatar)and I want both the maximum light available and a mount that is both secure and a bit shock absorbing. The o-ring system that MS and clones use is very robust and in several years of riding have never had them loosen up. I use a combination wide/narrow beam 1400 lumen light on the bars and 2000 lumens on my helmet (2 MS 808 lights). Here is one on Amazon for $60 with $5 for the wide angle lens and you are still less than your price point.

Good luck on your search

Blessings
    Last edited by arphaxhad; 10-27-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: add comment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    I dont know why you want to limit yourself to a maximum, especially off road.
    Because a) The more lumens, the more expensive it is generally (for a quality unit).
    b) Because I already have 1500 on my helmet, and the bike-mounted light is just for backup and some added light which will not move if/when I turn my head.

Here is one on Amazon for $60 with $5 for the wide angle lens and you are still less than your price point.
    Thanks, but there are a number of reviews there which indicate that that particular light doesn't fair so well with the rigors of harsh off-road riding.

mtbr member
    To each his own, like I said, over 2 years of very harsh trail riding and I have had no problems. Just trying to be helpful...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You should spend some time reading some of he most active threads on the first page of this forum.

You've picked a low price point. A guaranteed "high quality unit" is not assured in that price range. Self contained lights are generally higher priced than external battery lights. The higher quality self-contained lights, with a good warranty, from name brand manufacturers are in the $100+ range.

The Cygo-Lite Metro 500 is also limited to a 1.5 hr advertised run time (who knows the actual), and does not have an "on trail" user replaceable battery.

You haven't specified run time, and that's kind of a requirement for around here for light recommendations.

We tend to prefer the external battery pack lights because of longer run times, and the ability of having a backup battery, to allow even longer run times.

That battle for bragging rights, results in not much being produced in the low lumen level you requested. You do recognize that most of the lights we discuss have lower power settings that would give you roughly your 500 lumen range, right?

Check your dates on reviews that trash the MS lights. They are now quite well regarded as a middle tier manufacturer. And Action-LED is an excellent supplier, who stands behind their product.

The O-ring mounting system is pretty much the standard for bar lights. If you have some slippage problems on the rough stuff, add grip tape or a piece of inner-tube to your bars.

There are three inexpensive lights very highly recommended on this forum, that are well within your price range. They are all external battery pack models, and all brighter than your request, but all have lower power modes. Check out the threads on the SolarStorm X2, & the MJ880 Clone. I own the SS, and like it enough, I am going to buy another. It's early days on the Yingding discussed in the Gemini Duo clones thread, but those that have it seem pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Here is what I would do, plan to do and why. Save a bit more money and purchase an 808 LE2 with the upgraded battery.($28 more from Action LED) That Gemini and the shine run on the same battery. It is often said that the battery is a weak point with any LED bike light. If you stick with something that is interchangeable you will have a choice to run either light to get you back from miles deep on the single track in case of failure.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You didn't specify runtime but to stay in the self contained space and still have everything you desire my suggestion would be the Cygolite Expilion 800. It can be found online for less than $100 and will give you over 2 hours at 550 (longer than the highest setting on the light you are considering) and of for whatever reason you brighter output on the bars you will have it available. You can even run for 3 hours at 400 lumens.

The thought that I am presenting is getting more runtime at same or higher output levels with a slight increase in price point without having to buy the extra battery and light approach for the lower end unit if longer runtime is desired.

If you do buy the extra battery for the cygolite (any one of the self contained units) keep in mind that their extra battery has to be charged in the light itself. There is no mechanism to simply plug it in and charge external to the light.
    Last edited by cue003; 10-28-2013 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    You've picked a low price point. A guaranteed "high quality unit" is not assured in that price range. Self contained lights are generally higher priced than external battery lights. The higher quality self-contained lights, with a good warranty, from name brand manufacturers are in the $100+ range.
    Thanks for the well-said post. I guess I didn't mean "high-end", just not "junk". Mid-range will do.

You haven't specified run time, and that's kind of a requirement for around here for light recommendations.
    As this particular light will used in a "mid" setting, and/or turned off at times, 1.5 hour burn times on high would be enough.

We tend to prefer the external battery pack lights because of longer run times, and the ability of having a backup battery, to allow even longer run times.
    Yes, but as my Gemini Duo on the helmet has a 4-cell external battery, that's enough to do the lion's share of the lighting task.

You do recognize that most of the lights we discuss have lower power settings that would give you roughly your 500 lumen range, right?
    Yes, but I feel that I'd like to not have an external battery for this bar-mounted light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Rich View Post
    Here is what I would do, plan to do and why. Save a bit more money and purchase an 808 LE2 with the upgraded battery.
    I Googled Magicshine 808 LE2 and got nothing. Is that number correct?

Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    ....my suggestion would be the Cygolite Expilion 800. It can be found online for less than $100 and will give you over 2 hours at 550.
    Yes, but it has the same clamping problems that I sited in the OP about the Metro 500. Here's what the review said:

"Frustrating mount: the mount is completely rigid (no rubber or silicone here) and can only be adjusted (by a plastic clip-in spacer) to “thick” or “thin” handlebars. The mount comes loose relatively quickly, and must be frequently re-tightened. The mount also rotates, which is handy for lighting up curves, but the light often slides from side to side when you want it to just face forwards."

Perhaps some rubber on the bar would solve this as Ian_C indicated - I dunno.

I just thought that for a self-contained 250-500 lumen bar light, there'd be a few brands/models that would be clear favorites.
    Last edited by Technician; 10-29-2013 at 08:50 AM.

mtbr member
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Technician View Post
    Thanks for the well-said post. I guess I didn't mean "high-end", just not "junk". Mid-range will do....

...As this particular light will used in a "mid" setting, and/or turned off at times, 1.5 hour burn times on high would be enough.....

Yes, but as my Gemini Duo on the helmet has a 4-cell external battery, that's enough to do the lion's share of the lighting task....

Yes, but I feel that I'd like to not have an external battery for this bar-mounted light.
    With these things in perspective, I think you will be hard pressed to find a self contained lamp in the $60 range that will fit the bill. On the other hand you might go the torch route. A high quality 3-mode (H-M-L ) XM-L2 U2 drop-in with a good torch host ( something like a Solorforce ). Used with good Panasonic 18650 cells and you should have what you seem to be searching for and do it for around the $60 target price. You just won't get a very wide beam pattern but then again that doesn't seem to concern you. ( * if you need more info on setting up a torch just contact me and I'll try to dial you in to what you might want. )

My recommendation is that you put the Duo on the bars ( which is what it was designed for ) and buy something like the Xera ( or Xera clone ) for the helmet. (Check with Action LED they might have some later models of the Xera still on sale.) The Duo will work better on the bars and the Xera is designed for helmet use. The Xera will cost more than $60 but you will have a better all around system for MTB'ing. Anyway, my 0.02cents FWIW.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just thought that for a self-contained 250-500 lumen bar light, there'd be a few brands/models that would be clear favorites.
    Any light with those specs is made for commuting for the most part. Your needs are unique among mountain bikers. You need to make your own light or figure something else out.

I like Cat's suggestions. Try a torch mounted to your bar if you really want a self contained 500 lumen bar light, or get a Xera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If I were dead set on self contained, I'd probably just go with a torch deal like this, and a simple mount like this, and save some money. Might have to swap batteries mid-ride, but only takes a minute.
    And although the lumen claims are bogus (as usual), will still be brighter then the Cygolite.

*Edited because I just re-read OP's first post.
    Last edited by fightnut; 10-31-2013 at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Great thread! I just decided the other day that I wanted to get a decent light for around 100 bucks for night trail and road rides. Lots of great info here that is definitely helping me out.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Hey, I just stumbled across this; isn't this just what I'm looking for?

KNOG : Hi Power Lights : Blinder Road 3

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey, I just stumbled across this; isn't this just what I'm looking for?

KNOG : Hi Power Lights : Blinder Road 3
    There has been some complaints around the web about the longevity and quality of the Knog straps. These concerns have been with the blinder road 2 but there is no difference between it and the road 3 outside of a 100 lumen higher output on the 3 to make it 300 lumens.

Let us know what you decide and your thoughts after usage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's probably called a road light for a reason.

There's lots of these lower powered self contained lights. Look at the lezyne's, the nightrider lumina, and the serfas.

My concern is that your very bright Duo is going to wash out your lower powered bar light. The point of the bar light is to create shadows, so you can recognize the roots, rocks and ruts. If your head light is four times brighter than your bar light, then I doubt that you would see any shadows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    It's probably called a road light for a reason.
    Yes, and I've emailed Knog with an inquiry to see what they say.

There's lots of these lower powered self contained lights. Look at the lezyne's, the nightrider lumina, and the serfas.
    Thanks, I will (although right off the bat, I'm familiar with the Lumina, and feel that it's too tall, weighty and longish for staying solid (wobbly) and this is why I'm drawn to the little stout ones.

My concern is that your very bright Duo is going to wash out your lower powered bar light. The point of the bar light is to create shadows, so you can recognize the roots, rocks and ruts. If your head light is four times brighter than your bar light, then I doubt that you would see any shadows.
    This is not a concern for me. The duty of the bar-mounted light (for me) is to be: a) a separate direction of light apart from my helmet light for those events (however brief) that I need to move my head away from the trail. And, b) to be a back-up light should the aircraft-landing-light on my helmet fail.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Technician; 10-30-2013 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    It's what you want if you wanted 60% the lumens you said you want and 130% of the price you said you wanted, is really what you wanted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, I will (although right off the bat, I'm familiar with the Lumina, and feel that it's too tall, weighty and longish for staying solid (wobbly) and this is why I'm drawn to the little stout ones.

Cheers.
    I've had the Serfas in my hand and I thought they were remarkably small. The new luminas (2013) are also supposed to be smaller than the previous year.

Another thing you could do is go get a cheap clone light, run it low, and mount a 2-cell battery on the stem. That's probably what I would do the in your circumstance. It's still light, plus you can swap it with the Duo or its battery if you run into problem with that light. It's a much more cost effective option. Solarstorm X2 lighthead $20-$25, 2 cell battery $23
    Action-LED-Lights ? MJ-6008 2200mAh Waterproof Battery

That's going to be a way better option than a self-contained light, in my opinion. The mounts are always going be a weak point on those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    It's what you want if you wanted 60% the lumens you said you want and 130% of the price you said you wanted, is really what you wanted.
    I said I wanted 250-500. It's 300.

Only $10.00 More:

Knog Blinder Road 3 Front 2 LED Light Sports & Leisure | ProBikeKit Canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast