Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Just for everyone's information, I just received this from Knog, regarding the "Blinder Road" units:

As of the October production run we are manufacturing Blinder Road 2 & 3 lights as well as the Arc's with an integrated strong magnet in the strap and clasp. This will prevent the units from coming undone if riding over tough terrain.
    Therefore I would wait for these updated models to hit the stores in December/January before committing to a unit.
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Another thing you could do is go get a cheap clone light, run it low, and mount a 2-cell battery on the stem. That's probably what I would do the in your circumstance. It's still light, plus you can swap it with the Duo or its battery if you run into problem with that light. It's a much more cost effective option. Solarstorm X2 lighthead $20-$25, 2 cell battery $23
    Action-LED-Lights ? MJ-6008 2200mAh Waterproof Battery

That's going to be a way better option than a self-contained light, in my opinion. The mounts are always going be a weak point on those.

Speaking of mounting weak points, I just picked up one of those MJ-6008 battery packs from Action LED and while the pack itself appears to be decent, the nylon case leaves a lot to be desired with respect to mounting on a stem. The velcro and snap strap don't allow you to fasten it down tightly and it hangs loosely and sways around. Since I bought the pack mainly for helmet use, this doesn't bother me this much but if I intended to use it on the stem, I'd just spend the extra 12 bucks for one of the 4-cell MS packs Action LED offers which have two strap setups that enable you to more tightly fasten the pack to a stem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale View Post
    Speaking of mounting weak points, I just picked up one of those MJ-6008 battery packs from Action LED and while the pack itself appears to be decent, the nylon case leaves a lot to be desired with respect to mounting on a stem. The velcro and snap strap don't allow you to fasten it down tightly and it hangs loosely and sways around. Since I bought the pack mainly for helmet use, this doesn't bother me this much but if I intended to use it on the stem, I'd just spend the extra 12 bucks for one of the 4-cell MS packs Action LED offers which have two strap setups that enable you to more tightly fasten the pack to a stem.
    That sucks, it looks like it would be great little pack.

Another option would be that strap from backcountry that someone linked to recently. I have also seen some sort of clip that turns an old inner tube into a strap. That might work.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Technician View Post
    Just for everyone's information, I just received this from Knog, regarding the "Blinder Road" units:

As of the October production run we are manufacturing Blinder Road 2 & 3 lights as well as the Arc's with an integrated strong magnet in the strap and clasp. This will prevent the units from coming undone if riding over tough terrain.
    Therefore I would wait for these updated models to hit the stores in December/January before committing to a unit.
    Thanks for posting the response from Knog... now how will anyone know if they unit they are buying is truly the new unit vs old stock unless they are physically holding/inspecting the unit before purchase?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is not a concern for me. The duty of the bar-mounted light (for me) is to be: a) a separate direction of light apart from my helmet light for those events (however brief) that I need to move my head away from the trail. And, b) to be a back-up light should the aircraft-landing-light on my helmet fail.

Cheers.
    I agree with varider, I think having a light on your bars that is less then half as bright as your helmet light isn't ideal.
    If nothing else, I think it's going to mess with your eyes having to adjust and re-adjust to the different levels of light moving around.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to want such a small amount of light when there are other options available to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    I agree with varider, I think having a light on your bars that is less then (than) half as bright as your helmet light isn't ideal.
    If nothing else, I think it's going to mess with your eyes having to adjust and re-adjust to the different levels of light moving around.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to want such a small amount of light when there are other options available to you.
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't concur. Allow me to explain:

I think it's widely agreed that if a person were to have one light only, a helmet mounted light is better (at least for off-road). I got a loaner light from a bike shop a couple of weeks ago, and tried a bit of riding with it (at night) on the bike, then tried it on the helmet. The helmet mount felt so much more...."better". It felt logical and fluid compared to the bike mount experience.

As explained, I've already spent ~$260.00 on a Gemini Duo, and I don't wish to have double that invested in my lights, nor do I want two big batteries to lug around. The Duo will do the vast majority of the work, and will do it well, mounted on the helmet. I just want a little extra light on the bike to augment the Duo, and for back-up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Curious why you're opposed to the bar light having an external battery? Just not want the hassle of mounting the battery? A weight/bulk issue?

Because if you were flexible on that, I really think a Gemini Duo CLONE makes the most sense here. Especially since you already have a genuine Gemini Duo on your helmet (so you know how small and awesome they are), for under $50 bucks, how can you go wrong? Puts you in your budget range, run it on low or medium if you only want 300-500 lumens on the bars.

Hell, if you only run it on low and medium, you could probably get away with using a 2 cell battery to save you the weight/bulk of a full 4 cell, if that was your concern.

Just throwing out options for ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Curious why you're opposed to the bar light having an external battery? Just not want the hassle of mounting the battery? A weight/bulk issue?
    Ya, basically. But, it's now looking like the type of integrated battery light that I'm looking for doesn't exist, so I may need to go to a separate battery type. If I do, the Minewt Mini 350 looks like a good option, as it has a very small battery that can tuck under the stem.

Because if you were flexible on that, I really think a Gemini Duo CLONE makes the most sense here. Especially since you already have a genuine Gemini Duo on your helmet (so you know how small and awesome they are), for under $50 bucks, how can you go wrong? Puts you in your budget range, run it on low or medium if you only want 300-500 lumens on the bars.
    Possibly, however I don't feel good about supporting the people who have stolen the design from the Canadian guy who invested time & money in developing the Gemini lights. That's why I bought the authentic Gemini Duo, I wanted to support the guy and his efforts.

Just throwing out options for ya.
    Yup, and I appreciate it - thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just bought the shadow from the international outdoor store.
    Some Nice New Lights at International Outdoor Store | BudgetLightForum.com

It is small and bright, probably 700-800 lumens. $60

Lo/Med/High and strobe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ya, basically. But, it's now looking like the type of integrated battery light that I'm looking for doesn't exist, so I may need to go to a separate battery type. If I do, the Minewt Mini 350 looks like a good option, as it has a very small battery that can tuck under the stem.
    That Minewt is basically what I was trying to describe to you, with cheaper and brighter parts. I don't know what you mean with " But, it's now looking like the type of integrated battery light that I'm looking for doesn't exist". There are tons of lights with integrated batteries.

mtbr member
    I don't know what you mean with " But, it's now looking like the type of integrated battery light that I'm looking for doesn't exist". There are tons of lights with integrated batteries.
    Yes, but it seems like the vast majority of them are long, tall, wobbly things like the Lumina 350 sort of thing; not what I'd like. So far the Blinder Road 3 was the best I found, but the new model suitable for MTB isn't available for a few months.

Thx.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The aren't that wobbly because they are light.

I don't think you are going to be happy with that Knog. If you are really riding the rough stuff, I can't see that staying put. It's not even that small. It only last an hour on high. It's really more of a city light. It's almost $100.

You're hell bent on getting that thing, so let us know how it is.

mtbr member
    I don't think you are going to be happy with that Knog. If you are really riding the rough stuff, I can't see that staying put. It's not even that small. It only last an hour on high.

You're hell bent on getting that thing, so let us know how it is.

It appears that you haven't been reading all of my posts. I mentioned how I contacted Knog and found that the new model that might be better suited for off-road won't be available for a few months. I also stated that what I'm looking for doesn't appear to exist, so I may indeed consider a light with a separate battery (as long as it is small) like the Minewt Mini 350.

shrug

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm in the same market. I have a 750 lumen helmet mount light but it's just not enough for rough singletrack.

What about the Fenix BT20? Looks like a decent light for around $100 with a smallish (2 cell) battery pack.

mtbr member
    So I wound up buying the Minewt Mini 350 "Plus" from Jenson. It seemed to check off the most boxes for me and my particular wants & needs. It has a very small battery which mounts under the stem. I got the "Plus" model which includes the helmet mount just for that option/flexibility. They matched an Amazon price of $85.87 (Reg. $109.99)

Thanks for the conversation.
    Last edited by Technician; 11-01-2013 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So I wound up pulling the trigger on the Minewt Mini 350 "Plus" from Jenson. It seemed to check off the most boxes for me and my particular wants & needs. It has a very small battery which mounts under the stem. I got the "Plus" model which includes the helmet mount just for that option/flexibility. They matched an Amazon price of $85.87 (Reg. $109.99)

Thanks for the conversation.
    Maybe you could report back after you get it and let us know your thoughts.

Enjoy your new light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Maybe you could report back after you get it and let us know your thoughts.
    So I had my first night ride with the new lights last night (Gemini Duo 1500 on the helmet and Minewt Mini 350 on the bars). It worked out great. I had the Duo quite far forward on my helmet, and I assumed that I would be able to fine tune it's angle once I was out on the trail, but it was maxed out in it's tilt back, so it wasn't pointing out far enough, its beam was a little too close to the area in front of the front wheel.

I've now located it a little further back on the helmet and have the desired adjustability with the beam throw. The 1500 Lumens was great, but wasn't as "killer" as I was expecting, so I'd recommend that this level of light at least would be what one should strive for.

The additional little light on the bar was great to have, as expected; it's a good combo.

I found that on both units, the control buttons were difficult to push for different settings. It was very cold (freezing), so I suspect that that may have played a role in this, but the buttons seem too flush & firm - you don't get a good sense or feel that you are on the button, and it had to be pressed very hard to switch.

Climbs = necessary evil
    I ride with a reverse lumen setup from you. Bright light on the bars and lower lumen on the helmet. Tried the other way first, but found I like the brightest light pointing where the tire is going and the lower lumen on to look around with. The guys I ride with do the same but I know there are others like yourself who find it better the other way.

mtbr member
    Heretic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just to chime in here on the topic. I also was looking at the best combo for bar/helmet. I purchased the Gemini duo (2013) model and have it bar mounted. Plenty of light for a single light option.

I then purchased the Xeccon s12-2 for a thrower for my helmet. On my first ride with the combo, the Xeccon is WAY too overpowering of the Gemini duo on the bars. This thing reminds me of those lights used to spot planes during bombing raids! For the tight single track we mostly ride the Xeccon is too much.

I just ordered a Duo clone with the XML2 led for my helmet mount. I think this may be the ideal setup..
    Will report on how this works

mtbr member
    I like mine to be balanced between bar/helmet; I set my bar to light the trail closer to my bike and my helmet light gives me the down-the-trail view.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2