Nompton, OK

Keeping Riding Buddies Interested During Dark Months

A lot of my riding friends seem to disappear during the colder/darker months.

How do you keep your group rides going during the winter months, or do you just start going it solo?

Our trails are ridable all winter, but I'm a little hesitant to do late night rides by my self, for reasons of safety and security since the trails are fairly remote (they have found murder victims' dumped bodies both on and around the trails I ride).

The typical excuses are 'feeling tired after work' and 'not liking riding at night' or 'not having lights' etc.

Any words of advice to keep the group ride alive?

mtbr member
    I find that by having an extra light or two that I can lend out, I am better able to recruit new riding buddies after dark. I remove the barrier to entry and get guys to give it a try and by the 3rd or 4th ride they will decide that they like it and will buy their own lights.

Night riding can also be before work at 6am if that works better with their schedules. We typically ride one morning and a couple of evenings a week, but with Montana snow in the forecast for the next week, things might be out of commission for a while.

Light freak
    Totally agree on having a set of light available for them to use takes away that excuse. Once they see how much fun it is, they will be hooked. Also a good way to give your buddies a deal on your current set-up if you are wanting to upgrade to something else.

Even though the snow is about to fly here in Denver also, that is when our "second" riding season begins

Untitled from Jay Buthman on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    beer
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Urban Dictionary says Nompton OK is Norman OK. If that's true this is what you need to know. Every Tuesday at 7 pm there is a group night-ride at Draper. Last night there were around 15 people night riding. On Thursday, at 7 pm there is a group night ride at Thunderbird. Last week there were around 8. About 3 weeks ago there were around 25 - 30 peopl at Draper. It was a party after the ride, quite fun.

He wait, I think you were there partying with us. Is this Kristen's brother?

Nompton, OK
    Hey, you did your research! Yeah I've been blown away by the turnout, but I've already had about 4 close friends bow out for the last few weeks. I've had so much fun with the big group recently, just hoping it stays alive this winter. And yes, I think a constant flow of home brew should help haha!

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I bring my box of extra lights everytime. I got 4 extra Magicshines, a Nightflux Photon Max, and a couple other lights. So, if your moocher, wimp friends try to use the "I don't have a light" excuse send them my way. We'll throw an 808 on the bars and helmet, and then, no more excuses. Hell, Randy's been riding with one of my old 808s for a month now. He picked up a Duo the other day so I'll have a loaner back - so someone else can enjoy.

Oh yeah, I did actually ride Clearbay alone last Wednesday. Wrecked on that weird bridge on the Gold; luckily didn't get hurt. Still, riding alone is dumb.