mtbr member

Kaidomain ( K/D ) Triple XPG R5 Bike Light

Okay, this one took me by surprise. At first glance I thought this was a triple XP-G R5 but the product description is listing it as "XM-L T-6". I'm not sure but I think they are driving the emitters in parallel..If so each one is seeing 1.2A. Just my guess but that would provide about 1300lm. Interestingly, they are using a triple reflector very similar to the triple reflectors used on some torches...Those torches were VERY MUCH THROWERS!
    Once again I am tempted but this time I'll let someone else spend the $81.
    Dang, wish it had more than two modes but If I bought one I would use it helmet mounted anyway. The beam shot looks bluish but generally speaking, you can't go by the beam photos on these sites. It could be one big really white hot spot. ( Trigger finger is getting antsy. )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 08-02-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I saw that one two, and assumed it was 3 x XPG. I'd love it it was 3 x XML, but from what I can see in those crappy photos the emitters look to be XPG size so I think the mention of XML is just a mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I saw that one two, and assumed it was 3 x XPG. I'd love it it was 3 x XML, but from what I can see in those crappy photos the emitters look to be XPG size so I think the mention of XML is just a mistake.
    I can't tell anything from the photos but they are using a 3.6A driver. If they were XP-G they would have to be over-driving the emitters, something I've yet to see from Chinese made lights. When it comes to deciphering Chinese web site product descriptions, I'm pretty good... Now if it turns out to actually be XP-G's then the description of " Cree XM-L T-6", would be a little more than just a tad off.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Actually if they had those 3 xpg wired in parallel that would be 1200ma per which is quite reasonable. If I was a betting man, I would bet this is exactly what they have done as this could be a relatively simple change to existing drivers we've seen used in the Magicshine lights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cat, not too sure about the internals but on DX there has already been a few tripple XML claims and they were called out after someone had purchased a set and made a stink of it at the bottom of the page used to post feedback etc - DX apologised and said it was a typo!

Regardless, the housing quality of the light linked looks appalling mate. Really sh*tty plastic it seems - reminds me of the crappy Ultraman toys i played with as a kid decades back!

mtbr member
    it says "KD 3xCREE R5" in the title, so my guess is that they got the info wrong somewhere, most likely the XM-L T6 bit. Oh, and the LEDs are way too small to be XM-Ls, unless that housing is 60mm+ in diameter. My money's on XP-Gs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Cat, not too sure about the internals but on DX there has already been a few tripple XML claims and they were called out after someone had purchased a set and made a stink of it at the bottom of the page used to post feedback etc - DX apologised and said it was a typo!

Regardless, the housing quality of the light linked looks appalling mate. Really sh*tty plastic it seems - reminds me of the crappy Ultraman toys i played with as a kid decades back!
    Well I have to agree it could be XP-G after doing the maximum zoom on the photo. Still hard to say for sure. I did forget the possible "over-lumen" listed output factor which would tend to favor XPG. Actually if it were xpg it might be better for a tighter throw. Yes, I know these are cheap but I don't think they're plastic. When I get a chance I'll try to send off an e-mail to KD to see if I can get more info but I won't be holding my breath waiting for a response.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Actually if they had those 3 xpg wired in parallel that would be 1200ma per which is quite reasonable. If I was a betting man, I would bet this is exactly what they have done as this could be a relatively simple change to existing drivers we've seen used in the Magicshine lights.
    I believe Cree has updated their XPG's to be safe at a max of 1500ma. Of coarse cooling will be of major importance.

mtbr member
    Wow! Did I get a fast response or what. I e-mailed KD today before leaving for work. I told them what the problem was and they e-mailed me 6hrs later telling me the emitters are indeed Cree XPG R5 and that the error has been corrected. They were so happy they are sending me a free one....just kidding....

mtbr member
    KD are pretty good at customer service, especially compared to DX..

meep meep !!!
    This model has been on ebay over here for a while now

linkage

Some better pictures maybe, but still the same overly optimistic rating of lumen output that you expect with this type of light.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Has anyone given it a shot yet? I've also found it on lightmalls.

3*XPG R5 3-Mode 1200-Lumen LED Bike Light Set

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice, helmet mounted only I'd say don't tempt me haven't bought a bike light ./ torch in ages nooooo!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    Nice, helmet mounted only I'd say don't tempt me haven't bought a bike light ./ torch in ages nooooo!!
    Well then don't look at the threads for the Gemini Olympia or the Gloworm X2!

This triple though is interesting. I keep wondering if it could beat out the MagicShine 808E
    for throw. I think the only thing keeping me from buying one is that it is only a two mode.

Anyway, looks like Kaidoman removed the original link I used in the OP. The new link is this one.