Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

K/D 2 x XML, MJ880 Clone

K/D MS 880 clone. Not as fancy as the Solarstorm ( which they sell as well ) but likely do the same job as the other cheap two XM-L emitter lamps. At least these will likely handle heat better and have a decent mode set-up ( press to hold strobe ) Kaidomain looks to have a few two Xm-l lamps that ( while not fancy ) have a decent mode arrangement. Not that I'm stumping for K/D but I just had to tell folks about the MS clone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks pretty good. Thanks for the link. Are you buying this Cat-man-do? They only thing it doesn't seem to have is any indicator of the battery life remaining.

mtbr member
    @Cat, are you going to buy this product?

It is a better sollution than SolarStorm X2?

mtbr member
    No, I won't be buying one of these but if I was a newbe looking for a good bar light I would definitely consider it. Too bad these weren't around two years ago. Not sure if they have battery indicators on these but I will attempt to find out when I get the chance...off to work for now...

mtbr member
    To be honest, i really don't know what to choose...

This light (copy of the MJ-880) or the SolarStorm X2?

Which is more suitable for modding? Maybe swaping the optics with some aspherics? And improving the thermal dissipation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    To be honest, i really don't know what to choose...

This light (copy of the MJ-880) or the SolarStorm X2?

Which is more suitable for modding? Maybe swaping the optics with some aspherics? And improving the thermal dissipation?
    I can't answer those questions but I like the look of the Solarstorm X2. Myself, I'm curious as to how easy one of these lamps might be to mod when it comes to LED replacement. With XM-L2's coming out if you can switch out the emitters without any problems that would be a big plus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    Wow!...those look nice. I like these better than the K/D version. The black is much better looking than the pale gray on the K/D.

One thing that did jump out at me on the D/X ad....580lm? ( )
    That's got to be an error in the ad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member

K/D 2 x XML, MJ880 Clone

I'm introducing a friend to night riding and he insists to buy a clone one. This "ultrafire" 8080 clone might be a good place to start. Do you think I can install a wide angle lens on it? I can get one from action led http://www.action-led-lights.com/col...for-the-mj-880 although it was designed for the original MJ 880.

The battery holder looks cool too. Much better than the simple Velcro one.

I've been trying to avoid purchasing on dx because they just take so much time..... I'll see if he likes the grey one. If he does buy it, I will review it here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Yeah, these colors are interesting but I'd like to see a "Gun metal Blue" or "dark metallic gray" like the Quad XM-L model. The black does look nice though.

I sent the D/X guy a PM telling him about the "580 lumen" on the ad. He usually answers in a couple days.

mtbr member
    Still no news about this one? From all these D99, SolarStorm X2 and now this D50, the last one seems to be the best one for the bars as it comes with an OP reflector AND we might actually be able to swap the lenses for the original MJ880 ones. A combination of one wide angle lense with the original one might be a good combination.
    I guess I will have to convince me friend to buy this one

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think the two button arrangement on these might be less than ideal. From the manafont link on the other thread.

4 Modes: Hi > Mi > Lo > Strobe (press right swich for 2 secs to enter Strobe)
    Switch Location: Left on/off & Right modes adjustment
    What we really need is comparison shots of all three dual-led lights, in the same manner as Francois in his yearly shoot-out. Obviously. Maybe we can convince dx to send them all to Cat and he can do all the work.

I bought a magicshine 868 clone for around $32 that I'm real happy with. It's brighter than the 808 and a major flooder. That and the triple and quatro xml led all deserve to part of the best-bang-for-your-buck conversation.
    Last edited by varider; 05-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Since nobody posted any reviews yet...
    Clicky - here are some detailed pics of the light. Imo this light is awesome and one of the best choices atm.

Some technical details:
    2 leds in series, current on leds in 3 modes - 0.58A-1.53A-2.36A
    2 buttons to control the light, one turns it on and off, another changes modes. These is a mode memory, if you turn it off - it will turn on in the same mode as it was before turning off (unless you disconnect the battery, this resets memory).
    Simple 2 stage voltage indicator, green switched to red at 6.41v on input.
    LEDs are mounted on thick aluminium...erm, inserts? Don't know the correct english term for that. These inserts are 21x7mm with 2mm recess in the front for mounting leds on 16mm stars. Then they're inserted into case with very small gap on the sides (about 0.1-0.2mm or so). Fill this gap with thermal paste and you'll have perfect thermal transfer to the outer case, which is massive enough to handle 2 leds on full power.
    Reflectors are orange-peel and made from aluminium, 21x14mm.
    Driver looks very nice, good soldering everywhere. Thick silicone wires to leds too, overall quality of light is very, very good.

And then you have the battery pack...which is awesome! Its made from aluminium extrusion profile with 2 screwed-on covers (with rubber seals) on both sides. This makes it waterproof and the best thing about it - you can easily insert any non-protected 18650 cells into it.
    Just unscrew one cover, insert 4 panasonic 3400 cells and you have a 6800mAh battery, no need to solder anything.
    These are 4 cells included, made by ASO (some chinese company). They have about about 2100mAh capacity per cell, overall battery capacity (measured on Imax B6 at 0.7A discharge current) - 4246mAh.
    The only downside is that it comes without any pouches, just one velcro strap - but it fits into standart chinese pouches for these batteries.

Overall this light (unlike D-99) is very well constructed and I was very impressed with it. Haven't tried it on road yet, so I can't give any comments about beam profile or brightness - but in the room testing it gives very wide beam with enough brightness to light up a whole wall.

mtbr member
    That looks great, kir! Love the battery case design. Really really great. I have a 8 18650 cells taken from an old laptop and I've always wanted to test them for a bike light...this could work well as a cheap backup battery (considering that a good Xeccon one is on my way).

Did you get it from DX? Thanks for the photos! Looking forward for beamshots

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    This one is from kaidomain, silver version is sold only there afaik.
    Keep in mind that this battery pack is not designed for constant opening/closing, you'll wear out the screw holes very fast. But you can get it and replace cells inside to get a high-capacity battery.
    I won't be able to make any beamshoots atm - my mate stole this light from me to use on his bike And I don't really know to do them properly anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great info Kir. Looks like better thermal management than the d99, although I'm no expert.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kir View Post
    And then you have the battery pack...which is awesome! Its made from aluminium extrusion profile with 2 screwed-on covers (with rubber seals) on both sides. This makes it waterproof and the best thing about it - you can easily insert any non-protected 18650 cells into it.
    Just unscrew one cover, insert 4 panasonic 3400 cells and you have a 6800mAh battery, no need to solder anything.
    Thank you for the Review and the photos Kir

KD sells the battery separately 17,40 USD
    http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S021564

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thank you HakanC and Kir!
    That battery pack from Kaidomain comes with a PCB, is there any reason I should not use protected Panasonic cells in there?
    Want to charge it with my Magicshine charger, hope the plugs will be compatible.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    It's simply not needed, you'll just make double protection. And I really doubt that you'll fit protected cells in this battery pack, there is barely enough length for normal batteries.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post

Sweet looking battery case! I've ordered two and will put the through a little abuse. I love the idea of being able to easily upgrade the pack with the latest cells. It is too bad they are slightly more robust in design and quicker to open/close. For a 24 hour solo, swapping precharged cells would be a cool way to go.
    baker

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post

Thanks for the Link! Has anybody tested this battery already? Is it available in other colours too (black maybeeeeeee)?
    ..just ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm interested in this light/battery/charger package. 2 hours minimum on high would be very nice (as they advertise). Where can one get a nylon pouch for the battery? I looked over the site and could not find one, sigh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. I liked Kir's review of the light (in terms of the build) and that the battery pack is strong and can easily be upgraded if desired. If I don't get the 2+ hours on 'high' I will complain. It's on back-order, but I'll update when it arrives and provide beam shots. Beam shots will include comparison to the Lumina 650 (which has tested out well to it's claimed 650 lumens in the mtbr shootout).
    Last edited by steelhmr; 07-04-2013 at 07:55 PM.

AZ
    banned
    2 tests on high w/ a fan running @ 80 degrees f.
    1st test, 1hr. 51mins.
    2nd test. 2hrs. 4mins.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast