Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well, I also sent them an email about this for sku.S022641. Lets wait for what they say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This is the answer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaidomain
    This bike light use XML2 LED, We will update the pictures soon.

Riiiiiide...
    Cool, looks like new beamshots and comparison between old and new soon

Mine's also on the way, and hopefully XM-L2 U2 !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the replies!

I think I willl take a shot at this one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You are going to find that most of the Chinese light vendors are using the same stock photos....so the green LED may--or may not..be what's inside what you're getting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    K/D updated photos to the new XML2 880clone headlight.
    Moving on...did anyone try to mod this light? Increasing current by replacing SMD resistor? Which resistor would be best to use? There is a lot of aluminum to heatsink for overdrive. You could machine new inserts (copper maybe) and adjust the dimensions to install plastic lenses and ditch the reflectors. (15 + 25 combo). Which lens are the best to fit?
    I have plan to do all that, but it would be nice to have some infos before I get my ordered lamp in my hands.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Despite owning this light for several months (XML U2 version), today was the first time I did a real night ride and one with the 2x mounted to my helmet. I was very pleased with the performance. It was a little bit of an adjustment, since, when paired with my 3x unit on the bars, I had to aim the 2x higher than I did when I used two Lumina 650's. It greatly increased the range of my helmet light and it more or less blends in with the light from the 3x to give me a continuous and expanded visual field. Consequently, I feel that I was able to ride a little faster than last year's night rides. I ended up running it on HIGH for almost the entirety of the ride. When I put both it and my 3x unit on medium, the 2x unit just seemed a little weak. The battery power is there for me to ride on HIGH for 2 hrs and my ride was 1:30 so it's really no problem to leave it on HIGH the whole time. Very pleased with the performance, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I am envious of those newer XM-L2-U2 versions

mtbr member

K/D 2 x XML, MJ880 Clone

I just ordered two of the xm-l2 lightheads from KD. Along with some different optics from fasttech. Hopefully the optics fit. I plan to run both in the bars to create a nice flood of light.

This will replace my current setup of a 4x XML and a v1 gloworm X2.

I am hoping for a better beam pattern than the 4x provides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Same here ;-) Also bought 15 degree optics from fastech. We'll see how that magic performs. If they fit, I'll buy also wider angle.

mtbr member

K/D 2 x XML, MJ880 Clone

Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Same here ;-) Also bought 15 degree optics from fastech. We'll see how that magic performs. If they fit, I'll buy also wider angle.
    I picked up the 15 and 30. At 86 cents each. What the heck, why not.

mtbr member
    Can someone verify whether this has a standard Magicshine-type connector? The XM-L2 head-only is less than 30 bones on KD.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022641
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes KD clone has MS type connector, however the cable is only 100mm long. You might need extension cable just to place your battery pack where ever you want to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Mj880clone does not have exact MS connector, but the headunit fits MS batteries (loose fit and not waterproof), however clone battery doesnt fit classic Magicshine light unit. The problem is the outside diameter that is smaller at 880 clone. Note that original MJ880 has different connector than other MS (it is not round)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine 2 880 clones are 5.5/2.1 mm, but I don't have MS pack and its dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Can someone verify whether this has a standard Magicshine-type connector? The XM-L2 head-only is less than 30 bones on KD.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022641

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The problem is with plastic housing of the connector.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I want to mount a 880 clone to my helmet. Looks like it comes standard with bar mount. Is there a helmet adapter available to fit this head? I could mount it 'as is' but it would not have a way to swivel for beam angle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm

Finaly...I got a new version KD XML2 880 clone. Head unit only.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S022641
    Got some good and some bad news.

Let me start with good ones.
    -it has indeed XML2 leds
    -it has standard Magicshine connector (picture on KD site shows connector from old XML series)
    -you get two mounting silicone o-rings and both are small size, so you get a good tension on a handlebar.
    -very fast delivery. Less than 3 weeks.

and the bad news
    -very poorly packed. Only bubble wrap and standard chinese envelope. But it survived the journey.
    -very poor heat transfer design (SSX2 alike). It has slightly different design compare to first version with XMLs.

Does not have leds on stars and inserts but leds are on a custom one piece backplate that fits very loosely.
    You can see heat transfer contact area on a picture above. It is only that middle area with some thermal paste on it and some
    random contact points at the edges. The main middle wall is thicker compare to old one and if there werent those
    huge holes drilled out, but just two small ones for cables, it would have sufficient heat transfer. But now it needs
    overhaull!!!! I will make some solid alu inserts to pressfit in those holes and make a bigger contact.
    I think that this light is not very good as it is...it is not plug&play, but if you upgrade it, it could be very good.
    Driver looks the same.

Tomorrow I will be able to compare brightness between this one and the first XML version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

MJ880 clone

I bought one in black from Kaidomain (XML U2 version with slim type connection). For the money it's good. Beam pattern is large bright spot and then a large spread. Very good for commuting. Have not taken it apart yet. I like the stealth look

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is hard to believe that the same SS X2 thing happend to this 880 clone. I can see some thermal paste in the middle of the MCPCB. So both "reputable" kaidomain and fasttech are selling some weird clones of clones

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have one heading my way. I'm a bit disapointed that the internals don't have the same design and heat transfer capabilities as the model Kir described.

I also have the 15 and 30 degree lenses coming from fasttech, do you have any idea if they will fit this slightly diferrent design?

(lenses are 20mm x 13mm)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    bhocewar bought light head only, Kir and I, we both bought the full set and have the same design and just XM-L not XM-L2. My 15deg. lenses stuck somewhere due to lifepo cells in the package so I don't know if they fit, but there is still alternative to buy from DX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No lens would fit as it is. You need to machine new inserts to elevate leds to correct position. That way you upgrade heat transfer too. I also hope that lens will hold OK. Front panel has 19mm holes, lens OD is 20mm, that gives just half mm at the edges to hold on a rubber gasket. You should avoid those 21mm lenses with plastic shell because it would not be waterproof (or just throw away that shell).

Yesterday I compared 880 xml clone and new XML2 version, and I didnt notice any difference in brightness. Did not find spare time to measure the current draw.

Here is a funny fact:
    880 clone reflector fits perfectly in SSX2. IF you want to have smoother transition from spot to flood...I will soon have extra OP 880 clone reflectors available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How deep is actually the reflector? I think I measured about 14 mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    Finaly...I got a new version KD XML2 880 clone. Head unit only.

...Does not have leds on stars and inserts but leds are on a custom one piece backplate that fits very loosely.
    You can see heat transfer contact area on a picture above. It is only that middle area with some thermal paste on it and some
    random contact points at the edges. The main middle wall is thicker compare to old one and if there werent those
    huge holes drilled out, but just two small ones for cables, it would have sufficient heat transfer. But now it needs
    overhaull!!!! I will make some solid alu inserts to pressfit in those holes and make a bigger contact.
    I think that this light is not very good as it is...it is not plug&play, but if you upgrade it, it could be very good.
    Driver looks the same...
    All things considered, the 880 clone still looks to have more thermal contact area ( on the emitter board ) than the SSX2 clones not to mention it has a larger head for added heat dissipation area. Plus, the 880 clone looks ( as you stated ) like you could add extra pieces into the slots but likely you might have to go to a machine shop to get them made. Unless you can make the inserts yourself I'm not sure it would be worth spending the extra money. ( of course that would depend on what they charge you for something like this. )

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I thought that a mix of some copper shavings and thermal paste would might be worth to try, at least you don't need to pay for a precise manufacturing of those pieces. But that is just my suggestion ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast